View Single Post
darnall (Offline)
  #27 5/10/12 1:06 AM
To DAD.....regarding your post just above this reply.....

I ran out of fingers so I had to stop counting the good points and ideas in your post once I got to 10...and I'm not even talking about the Indycar history lesson at the beginning...

I would love to see the "Crown" series flourish regardless of who's in charge....at the very top of my bucket list is finding a seat to run 100 laps in a 100 inch open wheeler on a dirt mile...

I would love to see an engine program update...there is a remote chance of manufacturer involvement if some of their newer technology could be showcased...yeah that's a longshot but keep in mind that Toyota & Mopar have a presence (yes it's minor) in midget racing, and Roush/Yates is trying really hard to get the blue oval to the top of the sprintcar world.

It would be SOOOOOOOO cool to see a crazy mixture of engines again...that right there is a modern way to remind people of the good old days at the brickyard...pushrod injected motors, DOHC high winders, rotary valves, diesels (betcha Bully Dog would throw some support at a diesel powered crown car), turbos on any and everything possible...foreign, domestic, marine, aircraft, industrial...bring em all on!!!

Regarding what Kenny Brown has done...that is a good point but there is also a counter point hidden there with a historical similarity... In a way Kennys series has helped the USAC midget series...there are some really good caliber teams from PowrI that do support USAC when possible. More good midget racing adds value to any good midget racing...more equipment out there, more exposure, more opportunity to race, competition between series to provide a better product to promoters, fans and car owners....and don't forget....RIVALRIES!!!!!!!

What's historical about that you ask?? Without stirring up a hornets nest and making you Indiana folks mad (if possible...haha) I would like everybody to remember the 1980s and Oklahoma....The 100inch supermodifieds from OK were similar enough to Crown cars that there was participation back and forth...Okie businessman Llyod K Stephens fielded a car for Ron Shuman for the entire USAC campaign....Co sanctioed races with 60 or more cars, grandstands FULL of people, an "US VERSUS THEM" mentality on both sides...a Rich Vogler versus the entire sooner state near riot, and stories and memories that still stir up emotion in thousands of people when mentioned 30 years later.

If there was a Kenny Brown type movement west of the Mississippi River for 100inch cars we could see something like those days again....the Okies still love the long wheelbase cars it seems....Or how about a "MUST SEE RACING CHAMPIONS CROWN SERIES"

It needs to be modern enough to be affordable (more horsepower can be made much cheaper than a 355CI mechanical injected pushrod motor), but still needs the appearance of the good old days style cars....

Drivers should have to bring some sort of credentials other than the family bank account to participate...

Yes the cars should be dual surface cars, and I think there is a way to police that effectively...If a Dave Steele type guy shows up at ONLY the pavement races with a better mousetrap for pavement nobody else will want to run a dirt car against him....so how do you stop that from happening...maybe modest race purses, or flat pay scale race purses, with a ridiculously large point fund for the end of the year....use sponsor dollars for point fund only...let promoters have a show that they can afford with a smaller purse, plus a sanction fee to go into the point fund.

There are plenty of racetracks half mile and larger, dirt and pavement, still left in this country...there just needs to be a product with demand and value so these tracks want it.

Due to where I live I have only been able to see 1 big car race in person in my life, but I would love to see 10 a year. I love the Crown cars...I hate it when people talk about their impending demise...and I get a bit slap happy this late at night and tend to ramble....haha
3 Likes: DAD, grinch, nemo65