View Single Post
10/13/11, 2:26 PM   #50
Re: Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair
racerjim2

Sprinter14, You know me and where I come from. I'd been out of racing more or less for several years until a few years ago I got involved with a friend with a stock car. I had come from an open wheel background.

I couldn't believe when we went to the track with that stock car. I could accept the high pit passes but when the car owners had to pay for all the "hangers" who went to help in the pits (and very seldom showed up during the week to work on the car) I thought to myself, my how things have changed. In the 70's when I owned sprint cars I paid for me myself to get in. I had friends who gladly paid their own way in to help on the car just for the fun. Of course if the car did win any $$$ there was the after races food stop that came out of any winnings.

Then I started seeing local guys who were paying for full time help in the garage and of course paying the way in for all of these people and friends. I thought, humm, they are big time. Then, the entry fees. $10 for this and $20 for that. What was this all about? It was new to me.

In the last 10 years the trend of "big events" has increased the owners $$$ spent besides the higher cost to maintain a race car. My question is...."where is the fun part?" Where are the fans/friends and buddies who use to do this for the fun of it and maybe even chip in a few $$ on the car when needed?

What a shame the track/promoters have gotten to the point of just opening the gates and raping the back gate patrons. Racers are all stupid! They all think they are "professionals" and it's NOT about fun anymore.

I support your ideas (sprinter14) all the way. I know you do it for the love of the sport and there's not many like you left out there.

By the way, the entry fee in 1975 for the Knoxville Nationals was $10 and I thought that was outragous!