View Single Post
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #199 9/19/11 1:50 AM
In the heyday of midget racing, post WW2 - the 50's I believe there were two classes of midgets, an A and B. The B class didn't allow offenhauser's because they were too expensive. Most local/weekly tracks such as Sun Prairie, WI and Davenport,IA ran the B class. Sure seemed to work good then! Also, yeah you can buy a used engine for 10 or 12 grand but how many usac races do you think you'll finish in the top five with it? Answer...none. As for tires, there are tires the non-USAC clubs could go to right now that would be competetive for most of a season before replacement. Now that would really save money. I don't see Hoosier Tire fielding any cars. As for hauler fuel cost, I towed my midget with a mini van and small open trailer which saved on fuel cost. Remember when that was how most cars were hauled? Midget racing doesn't need $30,000 engines, 850lb. cars, soft tires and toter homes to be successful. I think that's what Don Moore is trying to say. USAC rule makers didn't keep up with what rich owners were doing and technological advances that skyrocketed costs. Their average car counts prove it. If technology goes unchecked you'll end up with only a handful of the richest owners left who rent their rides to the highest bidders. SOUND FAMILIAR??????
2 Likes: Revolution Racing, supdh56