View Single Post
9/9/11, 7:21 PM   #126
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
DonMoore10

Team 3521,

Regarding those current engines. First of all, you need to let go of being married to the sound of your engine. If midget racing is to be revived, everyone will have to make some sacrifices. Now what to do with the current engines if a spec engine is mandated:

1. There are plenty of buyers in Australia and New Zealand. They're buying up all kinds of parts, race cars and engines all the time. I get calls from those guys on a regular basis.

2. I don't claim to be an engine guru, but with restrictor plates and weights, current engines can be handicapped if you still want to run them aside the spec engine. I will leave that up to the experts to deal with that.

3. These engines are used in other applications. There is a market for them elsewhere other than racing.

4. And lastly: Have you done some simple math when you compare costs of running the exotic engine to a spec engine? You will need to rebuild your exotic engine a lot sooner than a spec engine. If it costs $9200 to rebuild the spec engine and about $1000 total shipping costs to California, that's 10,200 for that golden power plant. And plan on rebuilding it anywhere from 8-20 races I'm guessing. So, would you rather have a new engine for around $10,000-11,000 that will last for about 3 years without a rebuild and can be freshened with OTC parts or spend 10,200 every few races? If you want to keep spending the same amount of money to rebuild that exotic engine, you could buy a spec engine every year and it would be a wash. This is a no brainer, guys.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 9/9/11 at 7:23 PM.

1 member likes this post: Xflagman