View Single Post
7/7/11, 2:30 PM   #28
Re: T-Mez & Shane Hmiel Roll Cages
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
The damage T Mez got had nothing to do with a wall impact, you people are all going off the deep end. It was an impact with Jeff Swindell. As he told me Sunday, "I didn't see him until I hit him". The dust was way too thick.

As for safety, Terre Haute isn't any more dangerous than anywhere else,(when the track is prepared correctly). I've seen guys hurt and crippled everywhere from the Indy Speedrome to the Indy Mile. Accidents happen unfortunately, but that's racing at it's worst.

As for Shane's wreck at Terre Haute, it was just an unfortunate freak occurance. It is the ONLY time in my 40 plus years of racing I've ever scene a car hit like that.

As for safety and Nascrap, you are also looking in the wrong direction. The man to thank is Tony George. Remember this, when the safer barriers first came out Nascar said NO! They changed their mind real quick after Earnhardt. Remember this, when it comes to safety, Indy is the leader, Nascar is the follower.
Consider yourself lucky if that's the only time you've seen a car hit like that,In my 30+ years of working on race cars I've seen two friends die and a couple of others seriously maimed from exactly that reason.Yes racing is dangerous and it always will be,but that is no reason to to be blind to things that can actually be fixed and made safer.Freak accidents will happen,but why needlessly push the envelope.
I've seen the results of these accidents up close and personal and believe me it isn't pretty.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge