View Single Post
7/3/11, 8:45 PM   #126
Re: Action track status
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
Sounds like a typical USAC Cluster F***.

Had a feeling this would happen when I heard USAC was running the show out there now. How are they going to spin this one?
I must respectfully disagree with your first statement. This was not a typical USAC CF, it was far, far worse than that. This is my 52nd year of going to races and I have been to a lot of races at a lot of different tracks from coast to coast and I honestly believe the dust at the green flag to start the race was the worst I have ever seen. Anyone who participated in the decision to give the green flag should be fired immediately. It doesn't matter if they don't care for the safety of the drivers or they aren't talented enough to realize what will happen, they should be fired. It was obvious from the dust cloud generated by the pace laps that the start would be a disaster, and it was. The track was better when Dave Allison was running it.

As to the spin, "Extreme heat and deteriorating track conditions" doesn't begin to address why this decision had to be made. This statement is an insult to the drivers and fans.

On a positive note, the drivers once again showed how good they really are. I think it is a minor miracle that they were able to make a lap and get stopped under the horrible conditions without more accidents. If it wasn't for their skill, this could have been a total disaster. We are so fortunate to be able to watch them night after night, week after week. I hope that none of the drivers involved in wrecks were injured.

I only hope that this can be a learning experience which will result in more intelligent management decisions during Sprint Week.