View Single Post
5/30/11, 2:47 PM   #24
Re: Little 500 tonight 8 pm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdog45 View Post
just got back from the Little 500, very good race, clean for the most part. Glad they are getting better car counts and it is making for a little better quality in the feild, still was 2-3 cars that really had no business being on the track and were in the way most of the night. Nice to see a first time winner, Eric will be back and win #10 and more. Just glad to have a full day with NO RAIN....forgot what it was like it seemed...
I don’t post on here often because quite frankly, there’s not much on here that I feel that strongly about. But you sir, win my award for the most ignorant post of the year.

This was the fastest 500 field in history. The time it took to make the race was until recently a time that would have put you into the front couple of rows. And to imply that anyone in the field “didn’t belong” is just ludicrous. This is a brutal race that takes it toll on man and machine more than any race I know. And many teams are on a different agenda. Some of the teams know they can’t out run other teams and they just want to survive until the end. There are many teams that running to the end is almost as important as winning.

As someone that you probably feel didn’t belong, I was amazed how well the less experienced teams did. Jason Cox did the best job I’ve seen a rookie do in a long time. I only hope that I get to see him run more before the “next level” takes him away. And from what I saw, nobody was running out of control. Even my accident was just a racing incident that involved much more experienced drivers.

So before you post again about somebody not belonging at this race, here’s my challenge to you.

Go out to the Post Road Recreation Center in Indy. Get ten of your buddies and rent some go-carts at the slick track out back. Then run 100 laps without stopping. Hit your marks every time. Don’t hit anything. Don’t spin out. Don’t bounce off another cart.

Then when you’re done and when all your buddies are laughing it up, go off by yourself and picture doing that with three times the drivers at five times the laps and five times the speed. Then maybe you can get a small taste of what it takes to run that race.

Then I suggest you do one of two things. Either post an apology to the drivers in the race or build your own car and get out there and show us how it’s done.

I’m done now. I’ve got to take another couple of Tylenol and figure out how to unload my car. If you want to discuss this in person, my phone number is (574)532-7747 and my e-mail address is tpater11@hotmail.com

Tom Paterson
Sprint Car #11
32nd in the 2011 Little 500 and darn proud of it!