View Single Post
2/22/11, 1:17 PM   #2
Re: 360 sprint car motor oil?
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims41 View Post
Some advice or personal experience on motor oils would be very much appreciated. I've already beat this dead horse but there is always more to learn. 360 sprint car 650hp on Methanol, I will be running in the south west so there will be some high temps outside. 20-50? 10-30? synthetic or petrolium, High Zinc? I bought the stuff that BR Motorsports sells, Lucas 20-50 Syn #10054, they say it's good.
Thanks
Man, that is a can of worms, but you ask, and I'll tell you my experiences. As of right now, the only thing I'll put in my dry sump, is Castrol GTX 20w50, I've tried a lot of the others, over the past 30 years or so, but Castrol has convinced me, if it's good enough for Don Force, it's good enough for me. I remember in the karting days, all the 4-smoke guys were spending big bucks for super snake oils, and I convinced a few guys to try Castrol, and they never looked back, they were changing it at least twice a night anyway, course a qt would do that, but it just seems to tolorate alcohol better, we've had good luck with most brands, but Castrol seems to go that extra night, when we need it, it just has a better clinging ability, so sitting a while doesn't seem to bother the bearings when using it. Bob