View Single Post
10/25/07, 12:54 PM   #27
Re: 305 Sprints - Whatcha Think?
GeoffDodge

Bus: I think I understand where Jonesy is coming from. I think the point he is making is that the econo class ends up being very un-econo to make up a word. You mention Gary Wright who is a certified 360 (and 410 when he decides to run them) Bad A$$. I used the money signs on purpose because Gary will win more money in a 360 than anyone I can think of, but yet he has announced that he is selling out his equipment and will only continue if someone wants to foot the bills. According to Openwheeltimes Driver search link GW has won 14 A mains in 42 starts. He is just shy of stanbrough's win percentage with 30 wins in 81 starts. Also notable is most of GW's wins have occured as ASCSoT races which pay pretty well, if I remember right its like 3 grand to win, and a grand to tenth, not positive but its better than 410 here, AND they have 50 grand to the points champion which Wright is leading, and judging by previous performances at STN he should win the championship. So I suppose that one could conclude that the ASCS 360 deal is pretty expensive in its own right.

As far as the 20k motor goes...I drove for a guy out of nebraska who bought a 2004 Forbrook Mopar in 2005, and the Price tag came to $16,000. The motor had 14 races on it, so Guy agreed to have it freshened at Gaerte and the owner would pay him what Gaerte charged him. The owner decided to get the motor freshened on his own so I cant say what that would have been, but even at 5 grand I calculate 21 thousand for a year old outlaw motor that was capable of driving around some good cars by putting your foot down on the straitaway at Knoxville. It was strong enough to go 15.35 in nationals quals with a pretty crappy car with a guy driving who had only run 5 410 races previously. I would happily line that motor up at any outlaw show in the country after having worked on the road for an outlaw team last year.