View Single Post
10/24/07, 1:42 PM   #18
Re: 305 Sprints - Whatcha Think?
jonesy112

A spec 305 class would not work in the long term, plain and simple. The more rules that are made for a class, the more money it takes to get around the rules. I know that the majority of folks on here are non-wing fans, but take the 360 winged class at knoxville. That was started in the 80's as a low budget alternative to the 410 class....20 years later they are very close to the cost of a 410 and race for $1250 to win, instead of the $3k that a weekly 410 show pays. Sounds like a winning deal for the promotors and a losing one for the racers. A good used 410 at k'ville will cost you 20K, a good 360 will cost you 16k. But with a 360 or even a 305, the steel block is not reparible....once you crack the block you have a HUGE cost to put your engine guts in a new block. That isnt saving anyone any money.

Now they are talking about taking away the 410's and running 360's and 305's on a weekly basis, with the 305 as a support entry division. And guess what, in the first year there people are already spending close to 20k for a new 305.

Talk about all the spec rules you want, but big money will always prevail. You can assemble 10 motors using all the same parts, and 1 will be flat out better than the other nine. If you dont believe me, ask your motor builder. So the big money will pay to get 10 new motors and sell the 9 weak ones where low budget larry can only buy one. But Larry cant do anything to make up for the lack of HP since wheels shocks and tires would be spec. This is true in the ASCS spec 360 class. A good set of ASCS spec heads will cost you close to 10k, because they flow better than the other spec heads.

Sprint car racing will never be a poor mans sport. Dont try to divide up the sprint car base with multiple classes and making rules that will obsolete what the low-budget guys have already purchased (open motors, shocks, wheels). If i wanted to race in a spec class or even watch one, I would turn nascar on or but a crate late-model.

Maybe we just need to open up the rules and let the backyard engineer be able to make his own parts and cars to save some money, and build motors out of what he has laying around. That seemed to work for years.