Thread: Winter tqs
View Single Post
10/31/09, 3:19 PM   #30
Re: Winter tqs
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp4554 View Post
Without just using the phrase "it's against the rules", will someone explain the advantage of leaving the transmission on. All I keep hearing is how its against the rules. No one has offered a valid reason as to why other that's just the way it is. It sounds like he took a stock motor and put it in a tq. What's wrong with that? Stock motors off wrecked bikes can be bought off ebay for less than a grand. Then you're eliminating having to take it to a machine shop and having it specially cut down. Just curious. Not trying to sling mud. (no pun intended)
Here is the deal, a "TQ",in this part of the world, states that the driveline be connected to the CRANKSHAFT, not the output shaft of a transmission.

The word "transmission" covers too many areas that I do not want to get into. That would open up a can of worms that would be impossible to control. What it boils down to is that this kind of move would blur the fine line between a TQ and a minisprint. I see Carl's point of view, however, I can not allow for this change at this time. I bet that the Minisprints would tell him the same thing.

If he wants to keep that engine and make an adapter to run it off the CRANKSHAFT while keeping the transmission intact fine by me. I am sorry that he got bad information from the higher-ups, but Jerry is the Director of Competition, not the Tech inspector. He should have e-mailed either me or Randy. Better yet, he should have just followed the rule book to begin with.

I like Carl. He seems like a nice enough guy, however, I will not make an exception in the rules just for him. If I do that, I have to do it for everyone. If I do that, I just as well take the rulebook and burn it.

Lets put this to rest.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Cincy Dirt Bowl;143282]<SNIP> After Shelbyville I contacted Mark to ask about rules and he hooked me up with the Tech Dir. Jerry Frickman. Jerry and I started talking about how it could be made eaisier and cheaper for the regular joe to get into TQ's.......[COLOR="Black"]

Carl, I thought we had this taken care of at Lawrenceburg. I am all for keeping cost down. I am also into R&D. I am first and formost into following the rules. I am sorry that Jerry gave you bad input. I knew nothing about your car until you unloaded it. Had I known before hand, I would have told you then not to bother setting it up the way you did. Did you ever think about connecting the driveshaft to the CRANKSHAFT with the case intact? I would have no problem with that. A "transmission" covers too many areas that I can not enforce.

The way you have it set up, it is neither a TQ nor a Minisprint. It is a half-breed of the two. I am not going to allow people to "run what they brought". Where do I draw the line? I am going to draw it at the rule book.

Again, sorry you got bad input. Feel free to e-mail or call me with any questions you have.

4 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, JPM, Shawn, TQ97