View Single Post
8/19/09, 11:50 AM   #39
Re: Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing
TQ29m

I had intended to stay out of this, because I don't have a dog in the fight, well, almost, but if I ever made a good decision, it was in 1991, when I chose Not to buy a Midget, I wanted one so bad I could taste it, but even then, finding any racing on a local level, was limited, and the engine costs even then, were out of the working man's reach. I dearly love midget racing, having grown up, and worked just across the street from Justin King's operation. I do own a midget, actually 2, a 3/4 that I currently run, and a vintage Hilligass full midget, yet to be restored, pre WWII, a roller of sorts. I know later, I could have ran at the Bush Stadium, and did, went to the inaugural race with a friend who had a midget, and ran my TQ there as well. I don't have an answer, a good place to start, would be engine costs, and spec tires, I know this'll get something started, but why not run an OPEN engine, as long as it came out of a car, no newer than say 1990, something everyone has access to, like the V8-60's in their day, which by the way, was still being produced, and sold in passenger cars thru 1958, they had been stroked a 1/4, and the adv HP raised to 100, I'm not saying V8's, but there were a lot of good, 4cyl engines, that still have aftermarket parts available, look at all the Hornet's, there is an engine base, but maybe if the blue collar Joe could afford it, maybe it would generate some interest, and maybe even spread. I understand why CORR has such a following, mud, dirt, high HP, lotsa noise, chassis savy, rubbin and racin, lefts and rights, they seem to have it all, but again, a high dollar series. Anyway, that's my .02 for it, I just hate to see all the bashing that is going on, doesn't help put cars on any track, and no one on the Pine. Bob

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister