View Single Post
8/14/09, 12:19 PM   #9
Re: Billy P and the Rock
nonwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackslash.com View Post
Here is a link to the clip we shot last weekend of Billy and his big rock!

http://vimeo.com/6088055
That's is really wild. I got hit at Terre Haute one time and it hit my visor so hard that it flipped my shield up. I'm sure many guys have stories.

The really scary part of this, when I was a young kid my parents took our sprinter to Eldora every Saturday night during the late 1960's and into the mid 1970's. I saw Don Hewitt lose his eye one night, I'm pretty sure driving the Nichols Brothers 31 car.

After that Dad made a piece that attached to the front hoop on the car. He had made it as a rock deflector. After running Eldora, you could see the damage done to that metal guard. Hal Minyard drove our car back then and still drove with an open face helmet. I bet Don was wearing an open face helmet the night he lost his eye.

I may be wrong on this one, and please correct me if I'am, but didn't Jim Elliott (Tony's Dad) lose an eye? That was many moons ago, but I recall we were at some new track or some place that we had not ever run before when Jim lost his eye. Jim was a great racer just like Tony.

George Wilkins
Last edited by nonwing; 8/14/09 at 12:21 PM.