Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/26/09, 8:48 AM   #163
Re: The Rumor Mill
Tony Barhorst

I want to point out to those that did not like what I had to say that day this...I kept my head enough to rearrange the race to go on even though my heros were leaving...They waited until the last minute..then pulled the plug after we made most of the changes needed. I kept my head enough to give refunds to those that wanted them...200 angry people had gathered before I could get over there after rearranging the races. It was only after that that I took the mike..

I only promote a FEW races each year...I put everything I have into them..WOULD I LIKE TO HAVE HAD A BETTER RACE TRACK?....HELL YES as someone once said...But it was raceable...we proved that...big name drivers who stayed said they have raced on worse..I put every day of my time into that race from the mid January on...
Good race tracks are hard to find....THE MSCS had a race scheduled there...The All Stars ran there...The UMRA TQ's ran there many, many times.

If you add up all the positive things I have said about USAC over my career....It is 95% positive words..I promoted the teams of NOW...and the GREATS of the USAC past....Who I still love

I called Kevin Miller after Greg Staab was forced out...and said " Are you onboard with this Union County date?
He said YES....I regret I did not invite him out to the track to talk about it..I spent most of my time complaining about Staab being let go...I could see they were shorthanded with all they wanted to do..Remember...Greg was a promoter..

I want to tell all race fans...I was tring to expand midget racing (for a profit, none made)....I tried to make an event out of it....we tried to have fun with it. I wanted to make it fun for fans

When it is all said and done...I am disillusioned with the quality of race tracks available. Bottom line...I made a mistake by trusting a race track to make changes needed.

Trust in this...I won't let those mistakes happen again. I won't ever forget it..Having the sanction body that was really the showcase for my hero's leaving on you...will do that to you. I think about that day everyday.
It does not sound like it...but I have pretty much moved past it...(If I had this years Midget Week date...IT RAINED)

The thing that get's my goat again is the fact they get great raindates...and they go back to a racetrack that had a car leave the ball park?...What happened to protecting the teams and fans?

The reason I stuck my nose into this thread?...Because USAC's current leaders have ALREADY been told about ways to improve the car count...by unselfish BIG TEAMS...and they said FORGET THAT>>>
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/26/09 at 10:02 PM.