Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/25/09, 8:56 AM   #147
Re: The Rumor Mill
rocket5612

So what you are telling me is we should protect the 12 pavement beast sprint cars that are left and just drop pavement from the championship? Either way they are done racing in USAC anyway aren't they? How many dirt cars are there? Plenty more of them then there are pavement cars. I stated in my post some people will have to buy new cars but asking 12(of which most of those 12 I'm sure already have dirt cars) people to change is not asking that much.

Comparing this to the new Silver Crown box is not fair. First off there were plenty more pavement Silver Crown cars then there are pavement Sprint Cars now. That deal should have never happened.

Yes people will change parts from dirt to pavement, but they won't have to have an entirely different car. Depending on how you write the rules you can narrow this down to minimize it. I'm all for setting an engine height rule. Also the differences won't be so vast that it will keep a guy from coming to the track. Right now nobody in their right mind would even attempt to bring a dirt car to a pavement race. Making the suggested changes will narrow the gap so much, in my opinion, that changing all those parts won't matter that much.

When you guys travel to PA and IA do you REALLY get that many locals that run with you? Here are the qualifying results from Mercer, PA. How many of these guys are local guys from PA that took their wings off to run? And look only 20 cars?? Maybe we shouldn't even be talking about making a combo car and start talking about other rules to cut costs to get more then 20 cars when tavelling more than 90 miles outside Indiana.

1. Damion Gardner, 71, DG-16.598; 2. Tracy Hines, 21, Stewart-16.660; 3. Cole Whitt, 67k, Kunz-16.703; 4. Levi Jones, 20, Stewart-16.774; 5. Darren Hagen, 67, Kunz-16.807; 6. Jesse Hockett, 13, VKCC-16.830; 7. Scotty Weir, 5, Baldwin-16.878; 8. Dave Darland, 2B, RWB-16.898; 9. Chris Windom, 17, Windom-16.906; 10. Jerry Coons Jr., 69, Dynamics-16.921; 11. Bud Kaeding, 29, BK-17.011; 12. Brad Sweet, 9, Kahne/Curb-17.053; 13. Andy Priest, 21x, Priest-17.107; 14. Henry Clarke, 67x, Kunz-17.272; 15. Arnie Kent, 18, Kent-17.451; 16. Charlie Holben, 42, Holben-17.591; 17. Scott Bonnell, 3B, Bonnell-17.785; 18. Mike Miller, 57B, Burkey-17.854; 19. Scott Priester, 11, Priester-18.031; 20. Andy Korte, 1J, Triple Crown-18.258.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrob View Post
I believe that the cure will prove terminal for pavement racing and severely damage dirt racing. You are correct in your assessment that dirt cars engine to rear axle centerline measurements vary about 2”, usually in the 39” to 41” range. Beast pavement car is around 46.5” so all existing Beast cars will be junk (see new generation SC series). I believe the current wheelbase limits are 84” to 90” so that is already in the rules and enforced. Will you set a crankshaft centerline height (minimum and maximum)? I have seen dirt cars with a 7” to a 9” centerline height and I believe the Beast is 6”.

The majority of the cars at the pavement tracks are there because they are chasing National Championship points. These teams will most likely invest in the combo car idea and return next year. There are a few car owners that race ONLY pavement. I don’t believe they will invest in a new car (again see new generation SC car series). Even when USAC brought back the old style SC car the series will take years to recover from the experiment.

By the way, do you remember the reasons why USAC went to the new generation car? There weren’t enough tracks willing to host SC races and they needed a new car to race on the 1.5 mile tracks that have become a NASCAR standard. It was intended to ensure the long term viability of the series. How’s that working out for them? They alienated the majority of the SC owners by making their existing pavement cars obsolete and then alienated the New Generation SC owners by mothballing their investment. The old cars owners are still smarting from the original shot to the groin and have not returned. (our car will probably not race again.

Now as you stated the combo car will need six pin hubs on the front for the high speed pavement tracks so this I am assuming will be a required for the dirt tracks as well since the ultimate goal is to reduce car ownership costs and we don’t want separate running gear for dirt and pavement. So now the locals that run Bloomington, Gas City, Lawrenceburg, Haubstadt, etc. on a weekly basis will be forced to buy six pin hubs and wheels or skip the USAC sanctioned shows. Car counts went down when a HANS was required, many citing the cost to purchase as the reason, but at least this was for a safety device. That being the case, do you believe the locals will gladly fork over $1,000 plus just so they can be USAC legal? Maybe some of the guys in Indiana will indeed make the conversion but what about when we travel to PA or IA? Since we only have 15 to 20 cars that travel USAC will once again become a regional series.

Now the six pin hubs we run on pavement are not stock six pin hubs and spindles. They are special made with extra material in critical places. Do you think the well funded teams will buy multiple sets, lightweight for dirt and heavy duty for pavement? What will your offset rules be? Do you know that we are currently allowed more offset on dirt than pavement? Will we have to run 2 front brakes on dirt as well as pavement? Will we have to run steel rotors or can we run aluminum? If you say 2 front brakes of steel so that they can be used on pavement and dirt you have just lost additional local car support. Otherwise it sounds to me like we will need two sets of front axles, one for dirt and one for pavement.

How about shocks? I guarantee you that what I run on pavement and dirt are light years apart.

Believe it or not, the rear ends are interchangeable now. Our motors are interchangeable now. Someone suggested that you should have the same fuel cell dirt and pavement and enforce the rule with a minimum gallon specification. That’s fine but we probably just lost some more local support.

So if we write the rules to minimize the damage to the dirt series what will I need to do to convert my car from dirt car to pavement?

 Change front axle assembly complete with Hubs, Spindles and Brakes
 Change Front Radius Rods (to maximize advantage under rules)
 Change Shocks to pavement shocks
 Change braking system to account for additional volume of pavement brakes.
 Move motor plate or rear links to take advantage of 2” to axle Centerline allowed in rulebook.
 Move motor plate down to lowest allowed measurement.
 Change driveline due to motor plate/rear links change
 Change tires and wheels
 Change to heavy duty steering gear (dirt steering gears will NOT work at Winchester)
 Change pitman arm and drag link and tie rod to heavy duty for pavement

The above list is off the top of my head. When you look at the amount of increased work for the teams (considerable) and the cost savings (frame and body since almost everything else will be changed) does this really make sense?

Like Duke I have also been around a while. In 1988 I converted a standard Gambler dirt car to run on the pavement utilizing many of the items listed above. We ran 2nd and 3rd at the two races we entered at IRP which were telecast on Thursday Night Thunder. This was Kevin “Pup” Huntley’s 1st and 2nd time ever on pavement. I found out through that experience that it was much easier to build a pavement chassis instead of trying to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear. The result was the Buick V-6 which Rich Vogler drove to the championship in 1989.

I am all about cost savings and the long term viability of the sport on both dirt and pavement. But unless you can demonstrate how the rules could be written to not penalize the USAC or local teams on dirt while allowing safety and cost savings on pavement you are not living in the real world.

Rob Hoffman
Last edited by rocket5612; 6/25/09 at 9:21 AM.