Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/24/09, 2:46 PM   #126
Re: The Rumor Mill
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I don't have any solid answers. But as someone who attends many different pavement and dirt tracks, late models, modifieds, sprints, midgets, super modifieds, wings, non wings and a ton of support classes mixed in together, I can see the problems from a fans perspective.

Nobody in the general population knows Dave Darland, Jerry Coons or any sprint/midget/silver crown teams who have been around for 50 years. Those same people do know who Scott Bloomquist and Steve Kinser are. If you don't know who they are, maybe it's time to venture out of your comfort zone. These same people love watching "and they walked away" videos that show a midget in Australia flipping 20 times in a row. If they went to a race to see a wreck, but saw some good racing they might just like what they see and come back. Please correct me, I am only 31 yrs. old., live in Canada and have never been to the Indy 500.

My thoughts are there is no name recognition, or the ability to stick a name to a paint scheme, type of car or a car number is not possible in USAC. The casual fan can't follow racing, like so many of the experts on here can. A lot of people probably can't tell the difference in a silver crown car and a sprint car. Or a midget and a sprint car. Let alone from year to year, who has driven for the same team. There are exceptions to this, but far and wide teams and drivers don't seem to stick together in USAC.

As for all of the thousand year olds preaching about 1950, get over yourself because times, the world and technology change. You can change your attitude, learn how to spell so people can take you seriously or stop going to races.

P.S. when you respond with "YOUR A IDIOT", it's actually "YOU"RE AN IDIOT".

Hope to see some of you during sprint week, or at the Toledo show next week.

James
Last edited by apexonephoto; 6/24/09 at 2:49 PM.