Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/24/09, 2:26 PM   #125
Re: The Rumor Mill
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I've totally stayed out of this thread because basically I don't know many FACTS or ANSWERS

I can put it to you from a fans perspective.

I don't think your ever going to control cost untill all sanctions and tracks can agree. With that being said. Minus the Hauler and shop it still cost a quarter million to run the USAC sprint car schedual (And run up front both dirt and pavement) How many working class racers and car owners can afford that? THE SPONSORS ARE JUMPING SHIP INCLUDING THE BIGGER TEAMS!

Some things there that could be done is Packages with Hotels for group rates to the teams making these long hauls to California, PA, Mich, Maybe with a hotel package discount USAC offers recognition of sponsorship. This could help locallly as well for other teams to join here (Cali teams coming for sprint week ect)

As a fan, I hate all the direct competiton that dilutes shows. Im sorry but yeah, we had some loyal USAC racers at Midget week but Saturday was diluted. Both Powri and Badger and MSCS (Yeah its sprints but some are midget drivers too) Schedualled directly against it. I kinda wish a track that had the long standing schedualed date at the last minute would put up a huge purse to teach the others a lesson. Work together or pay for it!

COOPERATE. The big races of the past brought all the big names, Not just a handful.

Payouts, hum WOO can charge 32 a person and pay 10000 to win USAC chargest (GEnerally 20 and pays 4)
SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE! YOUR PRODUCT IS SUPERIOR!

Sponsors and marketing, I've heard that USAC was going to promote a bit (Can't say that for fact) But unless you stumble onto www.usacracing.com you really don't see nothing except track scheduals and even they don't reflect changes like the Dick Gaines Memorial now being 10g to win.

Race fans know the score, Were blessed with a lot of options and cursed at the same time as many drivers have those same options and THE FAN SUFFERS FOR IT.

Say what you want about Tony Barhorst. The shows I've attended (And even the ones I didn't) I knew about them well in advance (Had flyers under my windshield wipers) He goes out and gets other things like a NASCAR star, A car crusher for kids. He involves kids with his Rumble series (THATS THE FUTURE NO DOUBT) and he promotes in radio markets near the events. (He looses some and makes some) but he tries to PROMOTE THE SPORT AND THE FUTURE OF IT!. He rents tracks and facilities to provide the opertunity for racers to race and fans to enjoy it. Like all promoters. HE takes a chance. Something Im thinking many promoters aren't willing to do anymore.

I welcome all sponsorships but do not think they should have a controling say in the show in any way shape or form

Some of its not all USAC, Many tracks do not count USAC shows to their track championship points. Id at least offer SHOW UP POINTS (50) just for racing at the home track.

Lots of problems, the solutions?

My statements may not be all true. I welcome corrections. I've enjoyed reading through this and some people with hard facts and figures.

Chuck, superfan who just wants the best for racing, I think there is room for a NATIONAL NON WINGED SERIES but its gotta be supported from THE BOTTOM UP!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/24/09 at 2:32 PM.