Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #123 6/24/09 1:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst:

In regard to "losing my head" that day..well...I was not called by the current leaders..and offered any advice on makeup dates for UPSET FANS...any professional entertainment company would have at least had the main guys call with help....Now they have my Thursday Midget Week date...AT A TRACK THAT LEVI JONES LEFT THE BALLPARK THE VERY LAST TIME THERE?...What is safer there NOW? IRONIC!!!
That's a bit of revisionist history, there Tony. Most of the people that were highly upset that day, didn't get that way because of the cancellation. They were infuriated and left mad because of the way you took the microphone and turned on the drivers and race teams that were leaving. I think most knowledgeable fans had a certain degree of skepticism when they drove in and saw a road grader, with grass growing up through the cab, sitting outside of turns 1 and 2. And while driving all the way over there and not getting to see a race does kind of suck, a cancellation for safety reasons (whether you/I/anybody agree with that assessment or not) is one of those things that trumps your desire, as a race fan, to see a race that day. On D.O.'s show early in the week after this, USAC publicly accepted responsibility for their part in this and has moved on. You'll do yourself a huge favor when you can do the same. Maybe you can even win back some of the race fans you lost that day. But that's just my opinion.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill