Thread: The Rumor Mill
View Single Post
6/23/09, 4:30 PM   #75
Re: The Rumor Mill
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher79 View Post
Since this thread has migrated to this topic, I had to reply.

I've been saying it and saying it and saying it: USAC needs to look at how the AMA Supercross events are packaged. Those shows pack BIG venues, are very efficiently run and have a "big deal"-type feel to them. And let's face it, if you like motorcycles the racing is great, but what USAC has to offer is light years better, IMO. The AMA markets these guys' faces and names, and then pairs the recognition and the racing with a really cool driver intro deal where they walk through the crowd, etc.

Kevin said USAC continues to chase TV. If they could land some sort of deal and pair that up with something in the ballpark of what the AMA does, the sky may be the limit. The racing sells itself and there are personalities -- a lot of them young -- out there that would also sell themselves. If USAC is already losing money putting on shows, what's a little more over the course of a year or two to work towards an actual profit? I highly doubt the AMA is losing money with 25,000 (maybe more, I don't know) asses in the seats at football stadiums across the U.S.

The days of household, Indy-made names alone drawing 10,000+ fans to Buttf&$#, Indiana are gone. That pipeline has been closed, and we all know it. Doesn't work anymore. What does work in this day and age, apparently, is the AMA's method and if you ask me, USAC needs to take a long look at it.
You have excellent points here. However, USAC is already behind the eight ball when using moto-cross as a model. Moto-cross can set up and tear down in a large stadium in any large metro area in a few days. Located right in the middle of potentially big populations. A number of USAC's venues are as you said in BF, Indiana which complicates the big crowd draws. With moto it's 50,000 fans within a half hour versus USAC's 1,500 fans within two hours. And USAC's venues at best hold 3,000 or 4,000, save Phoenix, Richmond and a couple of others.

And it will have to be promoted and sold as "totally bad to the bone action". We as die-hard fans know it is, but USAC has to convince the 15 - 25 year olds that it is.

Also, we all as die-hard fans/drivers/owners hate the cars with starters, but I believe it is imperative to bring these cars into the 21st century and make them more TV "friendly" if that is the direction we want to go with this. It's a necessary evil.

Just my two cents.