View Single Post
5/23/09, 7:27 AM   #3
Re: Our Hoosier Hundred Story
LEADERS EDGE

Last night was one of the best Silver Crown races you could ever see. Nose to tail the entire distance with 3-4 drivers in the mix.

There are many races each year, but the Hoosier Hundred is a crown jewel of motorsports. There are maybe 25-30 races in all of motorsports that I would consider a crown jewel because of it's significance and the fact it is such a unique discipline. To me, the HOOSIER 100 is certainly one of them.

In many ways, there couldn't have been a better winner on "Larry Rice" night as Shane embodies much of the same qualities as Larry. (Although he hasn't started wearing funny hats yet)

As a side note, Gene Nolen is absolutely one of the most genuine people in racing. One example of that is after last nights win. On the front stretch with all of the cameras clicking on Shane and the interviews still going on, Gene was letting children who came down from the stands to look at his car; get in it in the winners circle. The excitment on the ones boys face and the excitment in his voice when he said yes when Gene asked him if he wanted to get in it; nearly matched the excitment Shane had after winning.

My friends; that is class act personified and Larry Rice's name was served well.