IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sealing wheel halves (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=103275)

kendirt 3/9/18 8:35 PM

Sealing wheel halves

What do we like for sealing wheel halves?

My first thought would be Ultra-Black RTV, but wheels I have look like clear urethane tub and shower caulk.

TQ29m 3/9/18 10:19 PM

Bolt them together, get some clear or dries clear, run a good bead all the way around, cut a piece of cardboard about 3in wide, and smooth it out, that's the way the new ones are done. Bob

dirtracer74 3/9/18 10:32 PM

Re: Sealing wheel halves

We always used silicone. Most wheels we bought had clear silicone to seal them. When we purchased kits, and had to build them ourselves, we used Permatex Ultra Blue, just because the car was blue. You know, cause when we break a wheel down, we want to make sure everyone sees that our wheels match.....lol. But, I would not hesitate to use just about any Permatex silicone. Clear, ultra black, red, blue, any of those will work.

snowdrift 3/9/18 10:33 PM

When you bolt together put it on a center so it's line up good

TaylorCox 3/10/18 5:58 AM

I use Ultra-Black.

Bill84 3/10/18 6:36 AM

Clear silicone in a caulking gun is my go to. I generally smear a little between the halves before I assemble them, then run a bead around after they're together.

Bill

crash67 3/10/18 1:30 PM

learned from Weld years ago

Momentive brand, IS800 series
available in various colors including translucent.
got it from local ACE hardware store.
takes less than you would think for a good job.
no need to put any between the halves.

Jerry Spencer 3/11/18 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQ29m (Post 490655)
Bolt them together, get some clear or dries clear, run a good bead all the way around, cut a piece of cardboard about 3in wide, and smooth it out, that's the way the new ones are done. Bob

Kendirt this is what Josh and I have done for years and never had a problem. The cardboard is the ticket to a smooth even coat. Not saying anyone else is wrong as I am sure they work but if Bob does it you can pretty much bet its going to work. My son Josh is the one that would pay so when I say I trust Bob its for my best friends safety not mine. Good luck

Jerry #66j

Bill84 3/11/18 8:07 PM

I've had more than one factory wheel leak. The big glob of silicone they use broke loose from the wheel. That's why I started putting a light smear between the halves, then a small bead around to cap it. Never had one leak since.

Bill

TQ29m 3/12/18 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer (Post 490722)
Kendirt this is what Josh and I have done for years and never had a problem. The cardboard is the ticket to a smooth even coat. Not saying anyone else is wrong as I am sure they work but if Bob does it you can pretty much bet its going to work. My son Josh is the one that would pay so when I say I trust Bob its for my best friends safety not mine. Good luck

Jerry #66j

Jerry, don't think I know you, but a lot of people know me, so I say thanks, for your post, made my day, after a catastrophic weekend, and you are correct, the cardboard is the trick, it doesn't have to be thick either, I found that a 2 ply works as good as anything, I couldn't believe how "professional" it looked, and I was thinking mud spreader, dry wall joint spreader, when a simple piece of cardboard made me look like a pro, and no leaks. Thank you! Bob