IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chain, gang? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=72168)

jjones752 9/12/13 7:31 PM

Chain, gang?

Any Mini-Sprinters out there have any good experience or horror stories attempting to run the #50 Tsubaki chain sold at Grainger? Seems a good bit cheaper than what M/C shops offer ($68 for 10ft), and can be cut to the desired number of links, and as I understand it ANSI 50 is the same as 530...

PatrickMead#13 9/12/13 8:39 PM

I have the Volar Motorsport o-ring chain in my car currently. It has a tensile rating of 9850. Nice quality chain. Have not had any issues with it so far but I clean and lube it religiously so I'm sure that helps....

Big thing with motorcycle chain is it has a designed operational "stretch" in it. That chain from Grainger might not be able to handle the higher speeds of racing and or handle the tensional "stretch" that happens with cycles and racing.

Some people think log chain is log chain but its not. Some is intended for tie down only and has almost no stretch factor. Other chain is for lifting and has a designed stretch for that purpose.

D.L. 122 9/15/13 5:25 PM

no no no no no youll spend more money than its worth just by a good drag bike chain and be done also watch buying 50 chain most cars run #53 sprockets and gears (found all of this through trial and then alot of error lol)

jjones752 9/15/13 7:00 PM

Re: Chain, gang?

Thanks guys. Did a little more research and discovered that 530 M/C chain with the same tensile strength as the Tsubaki 50 chain at Grainger (7,050 lbs.) is rated for 900cc and under, so no dice, even if all other things were equal. Think I'm going with the EK Drag chain from Speedpartz; 10,200 tensile rating and about half the price the local scooter shops are charging for the same thing.

the visitor 9/26/13 5:42 PM

We use the EK Drag chain, and have had no issues with it at all.
Good stuff and reasonably priced......we used to use that high dollar from Hyper.....this stuff is just as good...

jjones752 9/26/13 9:32 PM

Mine just got here, it's going on tomorrow.

Bradleyracing86 9/27/13 1:23 AM

If you can use the rivet type master link or tig weld it.. The clips are no good!

Bill84 9/27/13 7:24 AM

What's wrong with the clips? I've run them for years with no issues whatsoever.

Bill

cws9 9/27/13 9:17 AM

I ran the clips too with no problems. BUT.....I replaced them frequently. I always felt they would be the weak link...pun intended.

Bradleyracing86 9/27/13 4:19 PM

You can run them but I have had problems with them, and haven't had a problem since. If you do run them make sure they are in the right direction.