Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 3

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I have to get this off my chest.. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=20231)

john3g 7/16/09 12:20 PM

I have to get this off my chest..

First off I want to apologize for my rant. I have tried not to make this personnel but I have had enough of these so called promoters! After 2 months of talking to promoters, NO lets call them what they are "race track owners", the pieces have finally came together for me. There are only a handfull of real promoters out there the rest are getting what they deserve from low car counts to a small crowd. Yes they take a risk but so does any small business. I know this more than anyone by being in the car business. But it seems pretty simple to me. Give the customer as much bang for the buck as you can and have a decent pay out and have a good prepard track and it will work out. Ask Dave Allison how doing the direct opposite worked out for him. Then take a look at Joe Spiker and see what a little care and concern can do for a real promoter. Joe will always be sucessful because he cares about the fans and racers and has a ton of pride in anything he does. The same with the Tri-State Speedway guys. If your a promoter don't cry about car counts and low general admission attendance and then ***** about how some other track needs to cut their purse and, as I was told, get back down to reality because they have taken your cars and fans from you. Let me give you a 411, THAT IS REALITY!!! Your the one's that need to pick it up and get into reality.Stop cry'n and take a good hard look at your operation and then make the changes accordingly.If you promote a track we would love the opertunity to be a part of your show and so would a 100 other organizations but we don't want to be jacked around by "race track owners" that really don't have a clue.These opinions herein are mine and mine alone,any comments can be directed to me John Gurley

GregD 7/16/09 12:31 PM

Re: I have to get this off my chest..

John, That is the best post I have seen on here in a long time! Thanks

john3g 7/16/09 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by GregD:
John, That is the best post I have saw on here in a long time! Thanks

Thanks Greg, it has been a very educational experience for me working with the SCORA series. I had no idea how tough it was working with these "promoters". You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths.I mean, I could tell you stories that would drop your jaw in amazement and then you, like me, would say "Wow now I know why there starving here for cars and crowd".. But again Thanks letting me rant a little..John Gurley

Seadog 7/16/09 1:03 PM

Good points, but remember that track owners are not necessarily promoters and promoters are not necessarily track owners. I mean this in the literal sense. Some owners rent or lease their track to a promoter, and some owners do their own promoting.

But I agree that there all only a handful in the biz that really promote races.

john3g 7/16/09 1:39 PM

Originally Posted by Seadog:
Good points, but remember that track owners are not necessarily promoters and promoters are not necessarily track owners. I mean this in the literal sense. Some owners rent or lease their track to a promoter, and some owners do their own promoting.

But I agree that there all only a handful in the biz that really promote races.

I know what your saying. I should have called them "RACE TRACK OPERATORS". That may have been more accurate.Thanks John Gurley

Shawn Harper 7/16/09 3:13 PM

Great comments John! I wonder if you will get any replies from the "RACE TRACK OPERATORS".:20:

billwill7 7/16/09 3:54 PM

Tri city speedway, granite city,illinois

excellent raced track !!!
Excellent promoter !!!!!!!
Excellent owner !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask anybody who has run there..............
Gold crown midgets october 8,9 & & 10

$15,000 to win.........just ask jerry coons jr.:8:

SpfldMile 7/16/09 4:01 PM

I agree about Granite City. I wish sprints ran there at least semi-regularly.

Hclarke 7/16/09 5:48 PM

Originally Posted by billwill7:
Tri city speedway, granite city,illinois

excellent raced track !!!
Excellent promoter !!!!!!!
Excellent owner !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask anybody who has run there..............
Gold crown midgets october 8,9 & & 10

$15,000 to win.........just ask jerry coons jr.:8:

Agreed - It's Kevin right? We came out for Gold Crown midgets last year and ran with Kunz for the first time; had a blast. Kevin put on a great show. Great fans, super track personel - just a great place to come race. We are indeed fortunate that most of the tracks we've been to you find much the same but Kevin's place is a notch above. :8:

john3g 7/16/09 8:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn Harper:
Great comments John! I wonder if you will get any replies from the "RACE TRACK OPERATORS".:20:

Privatetly and otherwise....Positive and some negative...That is so far..I'm sure it ain't over yet..;)