IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   RicoNascar Land (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=82638)

Kinser11 1/20/15 11:44 AM

RicoNascar Land

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/sto...ting-big-break

Charles Nungester 1/20/15 12:43 PM

Re: RicoNascar Land

INDYCAR missed the boat again

ISF 1/20/15 2:09 PM

The only limiting factor for Rico in NASCAR is possibly the stamina factor. We all know he has the talent, the balls, the tenacity and the want to but those tin top races can be long and grueling at places like Dover, Bristol and Richmond.

That having been said, I wouldn't bet much against him.

Sure wish someone who owns an Indy Car would have given him an offer he couldn't refuse. How much interest would Rico generate by qualifying for the 100th running of the Indy 500? I suspect a lot!!

scottyCbus 1/20/15 2:10 PM

Gonna lose another to taxi cabs turning left!

Stevensville Mike 1/20/15 2:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 403492)
INDYCAR missed the boat again

And that surprises who on this forum? Surely not I.

Good luck to the kid in NASCAR. It is the only option to move up.

chathamracefan 1/20/15 3:03 PM

I hope he still does some dirt racing, but if he doesn't, I have a feeling in a few years all of us who got to see him run on dirt will consider it a privilege. His stature is part of it, but there is just something about watching him race. Just has the it factor. If he gets in the right equipment, he will make noise in Nascar. Talk about a PR dream!

I echo the sentiments regarding Indy Car. Someone on that side of the house needs to be out in front of some of these kids that come up. Of course it takes money, but the only way for that race to return to something resembling it's former prominence is for guys like Rico, Bryan Clauson, etc to have a consistent path to that series. Bryan is getting a couple cracks at it, but there is not a consistent link.

Best of luck to Rico!! Just might get me more interested in watching some Nascar again.

jjones752 1/20/15 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 403500)
The only limiting factor for Rico in NASCAR is possibly the stamina factor. We all know he has the talent, the balls, the tenacity and the want to but those tin top races can be long and grueling at places like Dover, Bristol and Richmond.

That having been said, I wouldn't bet much against him.

Sure wish someone who owns an Indy Car would have given him an offer he couldn't refuse. How much interest would Rico generate by qualifying for the 100th running of the Indy 500? I suspect a lot!!

Why would stamina be an issue? "Small" doesn't necessarily equate to "frail"; anybody who can flip out of the park at Angell park, break his collarbone and come back to win 2 weeks later, or go 55 hard laps in Tulsa then do a Superman leap off the cage into Keith Kunz' arms shouldn't have too much trouble anywhere he goes.

dirtball 1/20/15 3:07 PM

I guess you've got too follow the money!

Dick Monahan 1/20/15 3:40 PM

He'll still have lots of time for dirt racing. That K&N East series is only a handful of races.

Charles Nungester 1/20/15 4:52 PM

I went off the topic with the Indy Car mention without giving Rico the big Congrats! It doesn't matter what the path to success is, AS LONG AS THERE IS ONE! and RICO, BELL, LARSON AND CLAUSON and several others DESERVE ONE on talent alone.

I give props to Johnathan Byrd Racing for picking BC and coming out of retirement as a race team. The young man is one of the toughest racers I've had the pleasure to see grow as racer since they started with Armstrong Farms back in dadadada.

Not only that, They're down to earth, genuinely nice people who even if they don't know your name, Will give you a "How are you"? when walking through the pits.

Like Minor league professional hockey, Im a little sad when they leave our hometown or series. But wish them all the best and success they can achieve. Even if you get rides running last place at NASCAR and nationwide. It still tops some of the bigger purses in dirt track racing.

Whats always great about our sport though, is we get to follow them. Watch the new talent develop and blossom and in some cases, IT IMPROVES THE TOP PRODUCT.

Most of Napcar has become a leader running away. But a handful of races last year were just that, GREAT RACES. One of the chase races, I think Chicagoland? Larson and Gordon were swapping sliders. Then later Larson and Harvick near the end of the race.

The more of that, The better as NASCAR is going to have to realize. Their marketing has grown it as big as it probably will ever be and has since declined by a third. The PRODUCT is whats going to have to push and maintain it.