IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Eldora & Usac (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=94768)

John P Huss 9/19/16 12:03 PM

Eldora & Usac

Sure would be nice to have a
true open wheel deal on Saturday.
Wish the All Stars would run with Woo
Friday night. Guess I'm old school.
I do understand it's a business decision
from Stewart's standpoint.

Best Regards,
John

flagboy55 9/19/16 12:08 PM

John, last time I checked the all stars don't run fenders. :6:

duel 9/19/16 2:20 PM

Re: Eldora & Usac

Seems like a lot to fit into one night. Usually running all the usac cars takes till midnight.

revjimk 9/19/16 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duel (Post 458603)
Seems like a lot to fit into one night. Usually running all the usac cars takes till midnight.

Thats what I was wondering. People here say Eldora can handle it

John P Huss 9/19/16 2:27 PM

Flag Boy- No disrespect intended.
I have been attending 4 Crown for
years. I'm a non wing fan. To bring
winged sprints to this event is not good.
Again I understand Tony Stewart's position
from a business stand point. I was a business
man for many years. Now retired.

Best Regards,
John

brsteg 9/19/16 3:01 PM

Looks to me this makes it a true 4-Crown again instead of a triple crown with a prelim night. Maybe they should start qualifying the Crown cars on Friday again?

flagboy55 9/19/16 3:09 PM

True 4 crown for sure! And even with all the racing I'll be surprised if we aren't all done by 11

Charles Nungester 9/19/16 5:36 PM

Not knocking but if the midgets have more than two heats, I'll be surprised. Champs qualify and run feature. maybe a LCQ

All stars will be no more than the Mods or LM's they used to get.

I would love to see a major track rework before the consi's as to not be one rubber groove locked down like the last two I seen in the features..

We'll see, Be the only two wing sprints I seen all year between the 4Crown and Sprintacular. Thankfully at Eldora the features are pretty good for them.

They start hotlapping and then qualifying at 4:30 Racing at 8 so it should run off and maybe they'll have a chance to work it before 8 too.

Rich Mersereau 9/19/16 5:49 PM

Kinda hard to believe someone wouldn't like to see all 3 USAC top divisions and the All Stars, man are race fans fickle.

revjimk 9/19/16 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John P Huss (Post 458606)

Best Regards,
John

To each his own... I prefer wingless too, but "variety is the spice of life". Its my 1st 4 Crown, first Eldora visit, they say its really fast, winged cars are fast, so have at it! Every kind of open wheel racer, I can't complain...

flagboy55 9/19/16 6:15 PM

Rev, you picked the best event to come to the big E for. I mean it doesn't get any better than the 3 USAC divisions, but I love the wings there too. The sheer speed of the outlaws and all-stars is always amazing, perhaps too fast for some. The winged heats will probably be snoozers, as far as racing goes, but the features will most likely be awesome as everyone is in dirty air in a few laps.
As Charles indicated, track prep would be nice. Over the years I have lowered my expectations for what the track is gonna be. I believe as paying customers we deserve better, but that's not really a complaint because as long as it doesn't take rubber we'll be in for a good show. I know your gonna enjoy it

Charles Nungester 9/19/16 6:26 PM

Another thing, There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOWN TIME other than a RED after the racing starts.. You want food, eat early. You want drinks, bring your own. Main concession lines get fairly long, You'll miss a couple heats minimum. Good thing since Tony though, You can get in and out of the restrooms without a major wait.

BrentTFunk 9/19/16 7:28 PM

I will take wing cars over mods or late models. Have only missed one 4 crown since 1983.

fourteen fan 9/19/16 7:41 PM

A "true 4 crown" would have the USAC stock cars.

Racer12 9/19/16 8:17 PM

No such thing for well over 20 years.

bsmith8 9/19/16 8:48 PM

Since you have been attending for years how did you feel when the true fender cars (late models) was part of the 4 crown ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by John P Huss (Post 458606)

Best Regards,
John

duel 9/19/16 9:07 PM

I worry about the silver crown or usac sprints being on a one grove rubber right rear burner. If they can keep a cushion of sorts I'm for it.

duel 9/19/16 9:50 PM

The early crowns with all usac was really great. The usac stock cars rivaled nascar at one time. 3 day show with all 4 features on Sunday afternoon. I have missed only one. I always get really stoked this time of year at Eldora. Johnny Vance conception and Earl kept it going. Hewitt won all 4 one year and Larson won 3 all usac features recently. I will never forget Steve Kinser winning the sprint and silver crown from the rear of both. That may have been the 1st year.

brsteg 9/19/16 9:53 PM

Delete

brsteg 9/19/16 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourteen fan (Post 458644)
A "true 4 crown" would have the USAC stock cars.

What are those? LOL. Since they no longer exist we got to promote something or else its just a miss named triple crown.

flagboy55 9/19/16 10:09 PM

I agree with 94, and Mr.Funk. On the infield go check it out, you won't be disappointed. Too bad it wasn't like the early days when there was no inside fence, you could almost reach out and touch em. While I loved the late models, I prefer the 4 open wheel classes. The USAC stock cars didn't do a lot for me other than I got to see a couple legends run there like Dean Roper, and I think Sal Tovella, was there too. 35 years ago is a while so don't hold me to that. Ironically I am skipping my 35 year class reunion for the 4 crown. Like Brent, have only missed a couple and that was because I was working at another race track that didn't have the sense to close that weekend ;)

rdzsprint 9/19/16 11:37 PM

Hopefully they will run the wing crap last so I can leave. The only reason I'm going is to watch USAC. If they weren't running I would stay home. Wings are okay for some fans, just not for me.

motorhead748 9/20/16 5:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdzsprint (Post 458662)
Hopefully they will run the wing crap last so I can leave. The only reason I'm going is to watch USAC. If they weren't running I would stay home. Wings are okay for some fans, just not for me.

certainly your right to do so but why is it some NW fans are so narrow minded? Whereas most fans that primarily watch wings can & do enjoy anything that is racing.... Heck I'd go watch 2 marbles roll down a hill to see who won. Stick around dude, grab a pizza steak and enjoy the nite

david mitchell 9/20/16 9:44 AM

I guess Brent has never gone to World 100.Seriously, everyone should applaud Brent for his work and reading of Bryan's day declaration several weeks ago.It was well said.Like so many people we see at places year after year, but never actually meet. A mutual friend may have to introduce us.

John P Huss 9/20/16 1:49 PM

B Smith- Non winged is what's it's all
about for the race this weekend. Midgets-
Sprints - Champ Dirt Cars. Not a big fan of
wings. Sure I'm not a big fan of fenders.
Back in the day Hewitt won all 4 divisions.

Best Regards,
John

revjimk 9/20/16 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdzsprint (Post 458662)

can't help it, thats pretty funny!

RynoK1999 9/20/16 2:57 PM

Winged or not winged, who cares? Anything that can be complained about on here will be and it's a freaking shame. To throw a fit about a car having more downforce than another is something childish in this world of racing.

Quit bickering about what you can watch race, or you'll barely be able to watch anything race.

dsc1600 9/20/16 3:24 PM

This topic has been done so many times, but who cares? It's a fun debate.

I think I can understand some narrow-mindedness for winged cars on big half miles where everyone gets stretched out and a parade ensues.

But any car is awesome at Eldora and 410 winged sprints are incredible there for the most part.

i love dirt track racing 9/20/16 3:57 PM

FYI. Saturday night hot laps start at 4:30. Have fun and enjoy all the great racing teams and promoters and the best racing fans in the world this weekend. Thanks.

ThrowbackRacingTeam 9/20/16 5:03 PM

I think the frustrating part for die-hard USAC fans like John is that there is no longer a night on the Eldora schedule just for USAC. It's a bit of a slap in the face. They share with the WoO and All Stars on each of their 3 nights this year. Under Earl's ownership there would be a minimum of 3 or more nights per season just for USAC. The only other options would be latemodels or modifieds, which I wouldn't mind. Maybe USAC should get into the modified business since they run together so much anyway. I would like to see the USAC midwest sprint car season opener back at Eldora without any winged cars.

chrismattlin 9/20/16 5:26 PM

Having the All-Stars doesn't bother me, but I'd do almost anything to get back the old format of qualifying and heats for all 4 divisions on Friday, then all features on Saturday. Man I miss that.

As far as the All-Stars go, I don't envision a large field as Kasey Kahne's Dirt Classic is at Lincoln Speedway the same night. ($1000 to start, $20000 to win) It'll mostly be points chasers and a few from Fremont and Attica.

Charles Nungester 9/20/16 5:27 PM

It's not narrow minded to want a traditional night. The four crown always has been. Even the few years USAC had a promoters option for wings. The Four Crown ran NW.. There was a fendered class many years, but now they throw the wings in with it for attendance purposes only IMHO The gates gone up ten bucks too from just a couple years ago. IDK Bacon and maybe another couple are doing all four.

It's not all bad IMHO. Think there is more that would be willing to drive a Wing Sprint than a stock (At least from the openwheel side.

I just worry about the track conditions.

wideopen24 9/20/16 7:03 PM

It think it is awesome to have the All Stars and a true "4 Crown" again. I can't think of a reason a fan would not be excited for the addition of some of the best drivers in the world added to the event. The race track is going to be the same regardless.

R A K 9/20/16 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam (Post 458731)
I think the frustrating part for die-hard USAC fans like John is that there is no longer a night on the Eldora schedule just for USAC. It's a bit of a slap in the face. They share with the WoO and All Stars on each of their 3 nights this year. Under Earl's ownership there would be a minimum of 3 or more nights per season just for USAC. The only other options would be latemodels or modifieds, which I wouldn't mind. Maybe USAC should get into the modified business since they run together so much anyway. I would like to see the USAC midwest sprint car season opener back at Eldora without any winged cars.

Unfortunately, at those stand alone USAC events, the grandstand was less occupied. I remember that, yet never understood why.

flagboy55 9/20/16 9:25 PM

I am a die hard USAC FAN! And I wish we could lose the traditional label. Hell, with that rational let's take the cages off too. I don't know what the ticket price is Saturday night but I'm sure it's a bargain for the amount of OPEN WHEEL RACING we are going to see. Each former of sprint car racing has it's own virtues, and in my mind it's all good. Looking forward to enjoying it with, well most of you

motorhead748 9/21/16 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 458733)
It's not narrow minded to want a traditional night. The four crown always has been. Even the few years USAC had a promoters option for wings. The Four Crown ran NW.. There was a fendered class many years, but now they throw the wings in with it for attendance purposes only IMHO The gates gone up ten bucks too from just a couple years ago. IDK Bacon and maybe another couple are doing all four.

It's not all bad IMHO. Think there is more that would be willing to drive a Wing Sprint than a stock (At least from the openwheel side.

I just worry about the track conditions.

With hot laps at 4:30 and sunny skies I'll agree with the track concerns....got me to thinking about atomic Saturday nite???

BrentTFunk 9/21/16 6:11 AM

David, you are correct. I have never been to the World 100. I have a bad enough habit going to what I do go to. I am sure it is good , or people would have quit going long ago. I think Saturday is for fans, one of the best bargains of the year. Most tracks charge $20 for a USAC midget race. $25 for a USAC sprint race. An All Star race would be about the same. $30 dollars for a Silver Crown. By my math, that is $100. A reserved seat for Saturday is $34. I would rate that as one of the better bargains of the year.

david mitchell 9/21/16 8:52 AM

Excellent point Brent.The two best bargains of the season are at Eldora.The WOO-usac program in May and the Four Crown.

BrentTFunk 9/21/16 9:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david mitchell (Post 458785)
Excellent point Brent.The two best bargains of the season are at Eldora.The WOO-usac program in May and the Four Crown.

I would put the Smackdown at Kokomo in that group too. For $80 you get a $3000 t0 win $300 to start race. then you get a reserved seat for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and that includes a Pit Pass. Standard USAC Purse the first 2 nights and $10000 to win, $1000 to start on Saturday. The Eldora shows you mentioned are for sure a bargain. I just hope other tracks are not forced into following the lead of 2 tracks that charged $25 for Midgetweek shows.

Eatin Dirt 9/21/16 10:24 AM

As for the bargains. I thought that the Sprintacular at Eldora last October was pretty cool. You had BOSS sprints, the All Stars, and the NRA 360's. I think there was in the neighborhood of 121 total cars. Pretty good night of racing.