IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lawrenceburg Memories (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=1542)

Daddyo 10/20/07 1:09 PM

Lawrenceburg Memories

How are things going with the changes? Is anyone taking any photos to post of the progress as they did with the construction of the new stands? Have they even started the project yet? I have mixed feelings about the changes that are coming. I hated to see the removal of the old grandstands but realized that in order for the place to survive the new stands were needed. And I hate the thought of losing the 1/4 mile I grew up with but again understand that change is needed. I will miss the ole girl but at least I have 40 years of memories of her. And, I'm looking forward to meeting the new girl next spring with her 3/8 configuration and whatever surprises she has in store for us as she matures. Hopefully she'll give me another 40 years worth of memories someday.:checkered:

Dave Rudisell 10/20/07 1:46 PM

Re: Lawrenceburg Memories

$1.7 Million In Improvements For L'burg Speedway
(Lawrenceburg, IN) - Work to make vast improvements at the Lawrenceburg Speedway could soon be breaking ground.

The city awarded the contract for $1.7 million worth of improvements at the track to Bray Arnsperger Construction this week.

The project could be underway within the next month and completed before the 2008 racing season gets underway next spring.

Improvements at the complex include an RV park, higher, bigger stands, and more.

The city hopes the quality and speed of racing at the Lawrenceburg Speedway will improve, too, after the track is given higher banks and improved pit areas.
My updates:
So far they have been doing more surveying this past week. I am under the impression that they will begin work next week. I will be taking pictures as the work is being done and post them on the lawrenceburg speedway website.
Thanks, Dave

flipalong 10/20/07 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddyo (Post 15044)
How are things going with the changes? Is anyone taking any photos to post of the progress as they did with the construction of the new stands? Have they even started the project yet? I have mixed feelings about the changes that are coming. I hated to see the removal of the old grandstands but realized that in order for the place to survive the new stands were needed. And I hate the thought of losing the 1/4 mile I grew up with but again understand that change is needed. I will miss the ole girl but at least I have 40 years of memories of her. And, I'm looking forward to meeting the new girl next spring with her 3/8 configuration and whatever surprises she has in store for us as she matures. Hopefully she'll give me another 40 years worth of memories someday.:checkered:

you say you understand that it is needed to change the track. But why? I have raced there only twice and loved the place. I have been going there since the early 80's and watched a lot of great racing. So I really don't understand the need for the change.

Nick Johnson

rhamilton91 10/20/07 5:43 PM

I think that the track is one of the best in the state. Also i think that there is no need to change it.. I will miss the very nice 2 groved small drivers track, vs. a new track that is going to take some of the driving out..

Jerry Spencer 10/21/07 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rudisell (Post 15046)
$1.7 Million In Improvements For L'burg Speedway
(Lawrenceburg, IN) - Work to make vast improvements at the Lawrenceburg Speedway could soon be breaking ground.

The city awarded the contract for $1.7 million worth of improvements at the track to Bray Arnsperger Construction this week.

The project could be underway within the next month and completed before the 2008 racing season gets underway next spring.

Improvements at the complex include an RV park, higher, bigger stands, and more.

The city hopes the quality and speed of racing at the Lawrenceburg Speedway will improve, too, after the track is given higher banks and improved pit areas.
My updates:
So far they have been doing more surveying this past week. I am under the impression that they will begin work next week. I will be taking pictures as the work is being done and post them on the lawrenceburg speedway website.

Thanks, Dave

"Vast improvments" That in my mind means that Lawrenceburg will no longer have something special, after a while they all look the same. Kokomo had class of its own, now its just another high speed motor track, what is happening to this race track will be the same thing in the end. I am in no way putting the owners down for doing what they think is best but I sure do miss going to a different race track each night, seems like they are all the same anymore. Race tracks like people have moods all there own, when you go making them look like each other they do lose that something special. Ah too have four different turns, flat with a wall all the way around does sound good to me, that like everything else seems like just a memory. J.M.O. sorry for any misspellings.

Jerry #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Dwight Clock 10/21/07 7:59 AM

The older we get the less we like change. We had basically the same discussion here two winters ago when Kokomo reconfigured the track. And while I respect Jerry's opinion and understand where he's coming from, I don't agree. The old Kokomo was good. The new Kokomo is better, great for sprints and better for midgets. And, I suspect, the same will hold true for Lawrenceburg. Sure, it has been a special place, particularly for those who have gone there for years, but times change. Be thankful that the Fair Board is investing heavily in the track. That shows their intention to keep the track for years to come. That is a rare event these days. Hold on to your special memories and prepare to make new ones. You can count on Dave Rudisell to work hard to see that the new configuration will be just as special as the old.

Seadog 10/21/07 9:23 AM

The "new" track could be worse. On the other hand, it could be better as well. Let's not decide anything until we have a season under our belts with the new layout.

I have a feeling it will be better. I am excited.

CAJ 10/21/07 9:38 AM

I think it will all boil down to the "new" dirt!
Where is it coming from?
Who is in charge of finding "race track dirt"?
How many loads will be brought in?

1.7 million is a lot of money, but when you are talking the total amount of work planned, it really isn't that much money.

I think the Burg's future sucess hinges on the "new" surface!
Ask Tony Stewart about the importance of getting the right dirt!

GOOD LUCK!

Dave Rudisell 10/21/07 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAJ (Post 15087)
I think it will all boil down to the "new" dirt!
Where is it coming from? The new dirt is coming from the same place as the dirt we got last spring. Soil sample were taken fron around the region and sent to a lab in California. This clay is the best clay for racing on.
Who is in charge of finding "race track dirt"? The city hired a firm that located the best clay mixture possible.
How many loads will be brought in? The new clay is already on site located in the back pit area, If you have been to the track the last couple of weeks you would have seen the mountain of clay.

1.7 million is a lot of money, but when you are talking the total amount of work planned, it really isn't that much money. 1.7 Million is alot of money, i know of a few tracks that were recently built from the ground up and did'nt even come close to that figure.

I think the Burg's future sucess hinges on the "new" surface!
Ask Tony Stewart about the importance of getting the right dirt! The importance of dirt is huge!! But even a bigger importance is prepping that clay. You can have the best clay in the world but without proper prepping you have nothing.

GOOD LUCK!

Bottom line is that the city is providing the best possible track expansion with many improvements that has been a long thought out process with over a year of research. City officials and myself have been to many other tracks in the country, from Las Vegas to Lowes and all tracks in between researching and learning how to provide the best race track in the country. We have done our homework and now its time to build the best track in the country.
Thanks, Dave

somebodysmam 10/21/07 11:43 AM

I think a vast improvment would be decents bathrooms in the Pits.ha ha ha ha