IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USAC photo ID help needed. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=27326)

Ovalmeister 12/28/09 5:49 AM

USAC photo ID help needed.

I have a ton of photos from the 70's, early 80's. Some are labeled, some are not. I'll try to post them as I come across them. Any ID help is appreciated. (it's been a long time!) Below are a few examples.
Maybe we should start a cmakin style "Vintage" photo of the day?
Thanks,
David.

unknown
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...2atSalemIN.jpg

unknown
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...7_edited-1.jpg

Poland?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...sterINUSAC.jpg

Mahler?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...hester1973.jpg

unknown
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...rNewBremen.jpg

cecil98 12/28/09 8:12 AM

Re: USAC photo ID help needed.

Bob East used to drive an orange #54. Bob crashed Butch Wilkerson at Winchester in that car. I believe the photo above may be him or, at least, the same car.

speed bump 12/28/09 8:13 AM

These are just great. I cant help you in telling who these are, but keep em coming.
I think we all love to return to the times when guys raced to win that day.
And didnt count the points they will get if they won.

Seadog 12/28/09 9:09 AM

David, by strictly memory and that is not good with me. But - #54 as I recall may have been also driven by Jerry Poland. #48 maybe Bubby Jones? Just a WAG from me.

Jack Dupp 12/28/09 11:55 AM

Quote:

Maybe we should start a cmakin style "Vintage" photo of the day?
:6: That would be great.

Bruce Harrison 12/28/09 12:41 PM

My guess on the #34 would be Gary Bettenhausen, and that is most likely Jerry Poland in the orange 54. Might be Steve Cannon in the DePalma #12, and I'm guessing that's Pancho Carter in the Stapp #11.

EDIT: Pulled out the Sprint Car Pictorials:

In the 1976 edition (1975 season) there are a couple of photos of Thad Dosher driving the Longhorn 48 pictured above.

In the 1981 edition (1980 season) There are a couple of photos of a #11 very similar to the 1 in the photo above listing as being owned by Steve Stapp and driven by Pancho Carter. Those pics have McCord Auto painted on the hood where the American flag is in the photo above.

okie 12/28/09 12:51 PM

did Jackie Howerton drive a 2nd Longhorn car 40 and 48

FishBurger 12/28/09 12:58 PM

Bill Puterbaugh was entered driver of the #12 Magnavox Special (entrant Ralph DePalma) for the Pole Day Sprints at IRP on 5/12/73. This photo looks to have been shot at Winchester, Salem, Dayton, or some other track banked higher than IRP so I can't say for sure if this is Puterbaugh in your pic.

Upon further review, I find that Puterbaugh also wheeled the #12 DePalma car at Eldora on 4/1/73 and 4/29/73, Winchester on 4/8/73, and Tri-County on 4/22/73. That only says that he drove the car for some period, not that he is the driver in your photo.

Gregg 12/28/09 1:05 PM

The #54 is definately the car Jerry Poland raced for a few years.

The RE #34 I'm quite sure is a Carl Gelhausen car (a Gerhardt) that Jerry Sneva tried to sort out in the fall of 1973.

The #48 is also the ex-A.J Foyt Chevrolet #11 that Foyt himself raced on a rare occasion.

FishBurger 12/28/09 1:22 PM

John Mahler drove a RE #34 at Winchester on 7/29/73. Qualified badly and didn't run any more that day. I was there but don't recall if this is the car or not. At first glance I was thinking that this RE #34 might have been the car in which Jerry Hansen won a feature. :11: The Hansen car was orange, I believe.

Gregg 12/28/09 2:48 PM

I was thinking the Mahler car was an eagle. I wonder if it is the same car Gary Bettenhausen tried to qualify at Winchester later in the year. He did have a #34. Now that I think of it the Jerry Sneva car might have had a #84 on it but that one was a Gerhardt.

The wife will kill me if I start dragging out old NSSNs again.:20:

On edit the #34 car above is a 1968 eagle. I remember they trimmed the beak on the front nose to where it didn't have much of a contour anymore.

racerjim2 12/28/09 3:54 PM

The #12 car could also be Don Hewitt. I think Don drove that car a few times.

#54 is Poland

#48 is 1 car of the 2 car Longhorn team. Opperman drove 1 and I think the Duker drove that #48 a time or 2 as did Bubby Jones.

Speedwrench 12/28/09 4:24 PM

Just for argument's sake - The driver of the 12 might be Doc Dawson, he drove for DePalma several times.

Not sure who is in the 11 car, but I'm pretty sure the It's not Pancho and I don't think it is a Stapp car - the cage is all wrong for a Stapp.

Would go along with the choices for the 48 but I remember it as being one of those cars that nearly everyone drove at some point in time.

Also, I don't think the 48 is ex-Foyt. The Foyt 11 that I remember was a Stapp springer with an integral cage.

Modocer 57 12/28/09 6:34 PM

Longhorn 48 may have been driven Thad Dosher, not sure of spelling. Keep the photos coming

Thanks

darnall 12/28/09 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Dupp (Post 151076)
:6: That would be great.

That's my vote also

bigmojo5 12/28/09 11:03 PM

Is the number 12 Merle Bettenhausen in 1973 or 1974?
I think the body looks a little thick in the chest for Gary, and I think the helmet doesn't look right for him either. The left arm looks pretty thin, possibly the artifical limb Merle used in those years. Saw Merle drive Willie Davis' sprinter at Winchester using it. The Magnavox sponsorship on the hood is interesting.

Also, would the 48 be driven by Bruce Walkup, who had the initial Longhorn Racing rides, I believe. The car on the other side of the tires that is primer gray looks like the Steve Stapp car driven by Pancho Carter. The other car looks like the No. 45 driven by Mike Schisel, (not certain of the spellling). I would guess this photo was taken in 1975. Curious about the track. Kinda looks like Dayton but that had a guard rail rather than a concrete wall. Also, Dayton did not reopen until 1976.

As for the 54, is Jerry Stone a possiblity?

The No. 14 rear engine car would be from 1973 and is at Winchester before the old boiler plate guard rail was replaced with the present concrete wall.

As far as the 11, question on it being Pancho. the tilt of the head doesn't look right and the upper torso seems too small. Pancho sat taller in the seat. Also, the uniform looks blue. He usually wore a white one.

Jim Morrison

Need For Speed 12/29/09 12:40 AM

Not sure if Don Hewitt or Doc Dawson drove much pavement. But that sure looks like DePalma's 'Radio Hospital' car out of Lima, OH. Don was driving for DePalma on dirt in that time period, but Doc was driving the silver and blue #18 for Charlie Dunbar then.

The 54 is Jerry Poland in the 'Fortney Sprinter'

Duke drove the Longhorn 48 for sure, not sure if that was a day he was in it or not. He would be the man to ask on that one. :6:

ColoradoFan 12/29/09 3:20 AM

The 34 is definitely not the Gehlhausen car. It carried a #4 and was a Huffaker chassis that Bigelow had driven as an Indy car. It was my understanding from Carl Gehlhausen that it was the "MG Liquid Suspension" car that Bob Vieth drove at the speedway. Tom Sneva won 6 times and had 12 top tens in it in 1973. The 48 must be an early car for Bobby Hillin's Longhorn Racers because it's not a Stapp. The cage looks like the Grant King design but it's a bolt on and the chassis might be a Ronnie Ward.
I'll take a flyer at the #11. With the american flag on the hood it looks like one of Karl Kinser's cars.

Vern Plotts

crp26 12/29/09 12:32 PM

Not sure but would the #11 car be the Jess Plummer car ?.If so not sure who the driver would be seems like he had a few different drivers in it.
Chuck

Speedwrench 12/29/09 3:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crp26 (Post 151243)
Not sure but would the #11 car be the Jess Plummer car ?.If so not sure who the driver would be seems like he had a few different drivers in it.
Chuck

I had the same thought, but I think the picture was taken before Jess started running USAC.

Modocer 57 12/29/09 7:15 PM

Picture of the 48 Longhorn, might be at New Bremen?

SprintManDave 12/29/09 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadog (Post 151063)
David, by strictly memory and that is not good with me. But - #54 as I recall may have been also driven by Jerry Poland. #48 maybe Bubby Jones? Just a WAG from me.

Gregg , I think you are correct that Bubby Jones drove the 48 Longhorn car.

Butch47265 12/29/09 11:51 PM

I think it was Jan or Bubby, That was the black #1 I drove in 1975 for Jim McQueen 1st 4 bar Stapp ever built I liked it. Butch Wilkerson #1

bigmojo5 12/30/09 12:46 AM

Stapp showed up at the Hulman Classic that spring -- 1975 -- in a sharp looking No. 1 and won the feature with Joe Saldana hot on his tail. If I remember right, Stapp sold, or gave, that car to McQueen.

When USAC returned to Terre Haute in June, Stapp had this car in primer black because it was just finished. Stapp told me a year ago that Russ Clendenon gave him a lot of grief because the car did not have a polished paint job. It ran that way for most of the rest of the season, just in spite. Didn't figure even USAC would dare keep the defending champion from running, unfinished paiint job or not.

That was back in the era when USAC exercised a lot more control over car numbers, etc. Just read in Speedy Bill's book that USAC would not allow him to run his traditional 4X because it did not allow letters as part of the number, so it ran as a 64. The top 10 car owners ran the number of the position their car finished the year before. Pancho won the championship with Stapp in 1974 and carried a No. 1 the next year. He was fourth in 75 and ran a No. 4 in 1976. He had a No. 1 in 1977, and so forth. He drove a No. 44 in 1978 and 1979. (I was a huge Pancho fan/)
You didn't just show up, pay your money and run USAC back then.

I remember that first day in June of 1975 that Pancho was having a heck of a time keeping the left front wheel anywhere close to the ground with the primer black car.

As far as the 48, I don't believe Jan or Bubby were driving it, them, that year -- 1975. (I could be wrong.) Jan was driving the car in 1976 after the Hulman Classic. The track is definitely not New Bremen. Banked too high. Tri-County might be a possibility. Never went there. Looks too big for Winchester.

Jim Morrison

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

I just checked www.openwheeltimes.com. Bruce Walkup drove the Ben Leyba No. 4 AND the Hillin No. 48 in 1975. Ran the Hillin car at Illiana, Winchester, Salem, Minnesota State Fairgrounds, Birmingham International Speedway, among others.
Jim Morrison

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Bill Puterbaugh drove the De Palma 12 at Winchester in April of 1973. The track definitely looks like Winchester prior to the 1976 pavement job. It also looks like an older full-face helmet.
Merle Bettenhausen never drove a 11, according to openwheeltimes.com
Jim Morrison

LEADERS EDGE 1/1/10 12:08 PM

Gehlhausen had two Rear Engined cars and one was a number 34 that Jerry Sneva drove a few times.

smith19 1/1/10 4:33 PM

if you want some old pic's go to "jimmy's old time racing photo's". there is a wide selection. the best i've seen.

HurstBros0 1/3/10 12:19 AM

http://jimmiesoldtimeracing.mywowbb.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith19 (Post 151739)
if you want some old pic's go to "jimmy's old time racing photo's". there is a wide selection. the best i've seen.

There is the link..... I spent the afternoon there and seen many forgotten men and machines.

Ovalmeister 1/5/10 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Harrison (Post 151085)
EDIT: Pulled out the Sprint Car Pictorials:

In the 1976 edition (1975 season) there are a couple of photos of Thad Dosher driving the Longhorn 48 pictured above.

In the 1981 edition (1980 season) There are a couple of photos of a #11 very similar to the 1 in the photo above listing as being owned by Steve Stapp and driven by Pancho Carter. Those pics have McCord Auto painted on the hood where the American flag is in the photo above.

I think you and Modocer 57 might be onto something with Thad Dosher. I ran across this photo in my stash labeled "Thad Dosher Terre Haute 1975". But as others have said, several drivers were in the car at one time or another. Did Dosher race dirt and pavement? I can't remember. The Longhorn 48 pit photo above was taken at New Bremen by the way. I have several others taken the same day. (such as the Pancho photo below). Thanks to everyone for the help with the photo ID's!
David.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...eHaute1975.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...emenOHUSAC.jpg

deannalynn 5/3/11 7:35 PM

I believe the orange RE #34, after her glory days at the IMS (prob with Sneva and/or Bettenhausen), was also taken out to Winchester and Salem by driver Tom Brewer from Roanoke, IN.

indybail 5/9/11 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishBurger (Post 151097)
John Mahler drove a RE #34 at Winchester on 7/29/73. Qualified badly and didn't run any more that day. I was there but don't recall if this is the car or not. At first glance I was thinking that this RE #34 might have been the car in which Jerry Hansen won a feature. :11: The Hansen car was orange, I believe.

I had forgotten Jerry Hansen had ventured into sprint cars ( and very successfully). An accomplished road racer, he ran a few pavement races. Jerry Hansen's car was a F5000 car (Lola 192) and numbered 44. His sprint car adventures were limited to Minnesota and it appears to me that the picture was taken at Winchester and the car is of an AAR Eagle heritage.

Thanks for bringing him up. I hadn't thought about him in a long time. My dad and I used to see him at the SCCA races at Indianapolis Raceway Park. One of those guys who raced all kinds of different racing cars. You never knew what he was going to show up with.

nonwing 5/12/11 10:20 PM

The Orange #54 is Jerry Po-land. (Trying to find a way to spell it without getting those *****. In fact, I went to the Old timers show at Winchester two years ago and this car was on display. I was not a fan of Jerry because he tried a slide job on Charlie Masters at IRP and poor ole Charlie took a ride and went completely out of turn one. He was OK and I think that was a "Pole Night" USAC Sprints event at IRP. I really liked Charlie Masters who was friends with my parents back in the '70s. I must say that I'm sure Jerry is a nice guy and I was a kid with a few heroes that included Charlie.

CATH (PFEIFFER) HEHE 5/29/11 1:47 PM

This is my first time on this site. Just thought I would goole some info on old timers sprint drivers and see if I could find any thing on my dad Ted Pfeiffer Sr from late 50's early 60". My dad is still getting around but for a man that is 85 he gets around very good. Just thought any that has some phots around of him driving I sure would like to see them. Thanlks.

TQ29m 5/29/11 6:15 PM

Sorry, no photo's, but lot's of memories, of him, Spider Webb, and a lot of others at the Fairgrounds on 25th, and the "hole" off hiway 7, didn't imagine any of those guys were still around! Hope you find some pic's, I'd like to see them also. Bob !:)

MRZERO 9/28/11 11:43 AM

#54 is Jerry ******, I think the 48 is Bruce Walkup.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Why won't this board allow P o l a n d to be posted?