IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Robert Wickens (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=105827)

Puppy 8/21/18 10:45 AM

Robert Wickens

He took a very hard one at Pocono on Sunday. They are being awful quiet about his injuries. That's never a good sign. If you haven't been following him this year, he is the real thing, doing good in any kind of car he's been in. Let's hope and pray for a quick and full recovery...

cmiracingvids 8/21/18 10:53 AM

I've read he has lower extremity injuries. Spine injury. Broken right arm. And pulmonary contusion. (Fancy way of saying bruised lung). Good news is havnt heard or read anything about any head injury.

It was a nasty looking wreck!

jdull99 8/21/18 11:15 AM

Re: Robert Wickens

said surgery last night...sure hope all went well & he recovers

Puppy 8/21/18 11:48 AM

He does have a spinal cord injury. That's the part I'm concerned about...

Vookie 8/21/18 12:14 PM

An update from Marshall Pruett of Racer.com.

https://racer.com/2018/08/21/updated...pinal-surgery/

WinglessLovers 8/21/18 2:44 PM

Our prayers go out to Robert Wickens as he has undergone spinal surgery. We pray that the surgery was successful and no paralysis is part of the prognoses.

Bruce and Pat Eckel

Stevensville Mike 8/21/18 5:05 PM

Injuries and what have you with respect to Robert Wickens, as I, like all, wish him a full recovery, had his spinning chassis came off of the fencing about a foot lower It would have contacted Ryan Hunter-Reay's head. THAT would have made the entire scenario much much worse.

We lost Justin Wilson at this very track after an impact with his head from an object entering the cockpit. We could have easily lost RHR in the same manner.

And IndyCar is doing what to prevent this? Dragging feet is not a good solution. It is time to go to the halo like F1, or even more than that to protect these drivers.

jdull99 8/21/18 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 500662)
Injuries and what have you with respect to Robert Wickens, as I, like all, wish him a full recovery, had his spinning chassis came off of the fencing about a foot lower It would have contacted Ryan Hunter-Reay's head. THAT would have made the entire scenario much much worse.

We lost Justin Wilson at this very track after an impact with his head from an object entering the cockpit. We could have easily lost RHR in the same manner.

And IndyCar is dong what to prevent this? Dragging feet is not a good solution. It is time to go to the halo like F1, or even more than that to protect these drivers.

Disband the hole concept & run the Silver Crowns at Indy in May. They have roll-cages...

Otherwise, it is what it is...they all know what they are getting into. The halo looks dumb....gota be a better way...(like a traditional rollcage if anything...)

david mitchell 8/21/18 8:38 PM

I am saddened by The accident to Robert.However,at any level of racing fatalities and injuries are going to occur.The Drivers know the risks when they decide to do this.There will be no lack of drivers wanting that seat now.The drivers,especially at the top levels are compensated very well for their talents and risk taking.No one is forcing them to do this.The responses on social media have been what is to be expected .What is it that motivates us to be race fans.For me it is watching someone do something that I know I could never do and admiring their skill and talent in doing it.To make the cars and circuits so safe that anyone can do it, for me holds zero interest.Like Mario Andretti said,eliminate nearly all of the risk,why do it or come to see it.

Jonr 8/21/18 10:31 PM

For the racing community to put it's head in the sand and say that racing has always been dangerous and will always be dangerous is just stupid and lazy. There was a time in the early 90's where we giving all of our drivers permanent limps because of the design of the cars and their feet being at risk. Design changes were made and those type of injuries have been greatly reduced.

Now that F1 is looking into a halo solution, IndyCar should as well.