IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USAC Competitors Meeting (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=112119)

Theokayman 12/17/19 2:00 PM

USAC Competitors Meeting

Did anything come out of this meeting? Any rules updates, etc?

Non wing lover 12/17/19 11:52 PM

Purse increases?

cl124 12/18/19 11:28 AM

Re: USAC Competitors Meeting

Change in format so the majority of the night doesn't come down to one qualifying lap?

Dougherty20 12/18/19 11:31 AM

Running the B and transferring means you start at tail of A. No reason should start ahead of anyone who transfers through their heat. :6:

on_the_edge 12/18/19 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougherty20 (Post 523889)
Running the B and transferring means you start at tail of A. No reason should start ahead of anyone who transfers through their heat. :6:

Except that doesn't work because you handicap the guys who qualified well by starting 2 spots out of a transfer and on some tracks it's hard to pass in the heats. The format produces some good racing because those fast guys have to pass atleast 2 cars to make the top 6 for the invert.

One change that was discussed is the heat winners will start in positions 7-10, then the rest of the field filed in after them. I'm not sure if that change is going to take effect or not but that would give the slower qualifiers who start on the front of the heat have a chance to get a better starting position in the feature if they win the heat. We will see.

But look at the last 2 championships they have both come down to the last race. Everyone is racing for the heat positions anyway because they award points and as we have seen every point matters.

This debate comes up every year and there is no perfect format but what USAC is doing seems to work and produces good racing so I don't see much of a need to change. Every format out there has it's pros and cons, and every one will have a difference on which one they like best.

captrat 12/18/19 12:25 PM

1. Without compromising safety, address the body panel issue. Also handout some paint that is not black. 😁

JackSam40 12/18/19 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 523891)
1. Without compromising safety, address the body panel issue. Also handout some paint that is not black. 😁

Great Statement!

ThePurple73 12/18/19 4:50 PM

Maybe I missed it, do fast cars start in the front of the heats?

on_the_edge 12/18/19 5:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePurple73 (Post 523896)
Maybe I missed it, do fast cars start in the front of the heats?

Nope quick time starts 6th, they take 4. Top 24 in qualifying are inverted for heat races.

cl124 12/18/19 5:31 PM

While this format may make the heat races slightly more interesting it gives anyone who has a bad qualifying outing a huge disadvantage. I agree the guys who qualify quick shouldn't be punished so invert the top 4 instead then race straight up from that point on. Or go to a passing points style system. In my opinion every co-sanctioned USAC race ive been to that runs by the other series rules 9 times out of 10 turns out to be a better race all in.