IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do updates keep you away? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=77401)

Chris Nunn 5/23/14 2:50 PM

Do updates keep you away?

Having a debate here at Bloomington. Do live updates keep you from coming to the track?

Wayne Davis 5/23/14 2:54 PM

Re: Do updates keep you away?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Nunn (Post 375904)
Having a debate here at Bloomington. Do live updates keep you from coming to the track?

Not when I'm 1200 miles away

4th turn fan 5/23/14 2:56 PM

I can't see, smell, hear, taste ( dust ) the action by ready updates. They are helpful if I can't make it .

Copperhead 5/23/14 3:01 PM

Absolutely not. Lack of money keeps me away! I try to go when I can, but being a racer too makes it hard to be a spectator often. Updates are great when you can't be there, but no substitute for actually being there.

dirt in ur beer 5/23/14 3:27 PM

Not at all ! When I'm at knoxville I'm checking race monitor or twitter for outlaws or USAC . When I'm at a USAC show I'm checking knoxvilles App . Nothing better than being at the races with a beautiful woman and checking what's going on at the races u couldn't make it to .

Bill Gardner 5/23/14 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Nunn (Post 375904)

My health prevents me from attending races now but the simple fact that people are debating on whether or not live updates lowers attendance shows me that people don't have a clue where the fans come from. People are following Indiana racing from all over the country/world.

Only 40% of the web traffic to IOW is from Indiana. I posted more detailed info at some point last year.

If someone told me they thought live updates lowered the attendance to a track. I'd have one response to them. You're an idiot.

Avon Open Wheel fan 5/23/14 3:31 PM

Nothing beats being at the track. I do not even feel TV keeps me from going to a race. It comes down to if I can afford to go and just finding the time to go sometimes.

I would like to see more live internet coverage I think most fans would be willing to pay to watch a race and it would bring in extra revenue to the local tracks.

Updates are nice to keep us fans who can not attend every race in the loop. If anything I think it helps more than it hurts. Keep the updates a coming.

fish 5/23/14 3:36 PM

Live updates have absolutely no bearing as to if I attend a race or not.

Charles Nungester 5/23/14 3:39 PM

Absolutely not, I make what I can make. I can honestly say the days of more than once a month 400 mi round trip races are over for the short term but i try to make at least one race a week.

As was posted, There is no perspective in updates. Only whats happening, No sounds, no WOW, how'd he do that? or OMG I hope he's oks. Same with a filmed race, I can't get the rumble in my body that 900hp ground pounders are putting down on the track when Im there. Sure its nice to be able to see what happened later, But its past tense, not live, you probably knew what happened before you watched it. etc.

NOTHING LIKE BEING AT THE TRACK, NOTHING. You could watch NHRA drag racing for decades and finally go to a track with Top Fuel and Nitro. When that concussion hits from the exhaust of them cars. YOU'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED IT BEFORE and you think HOLY *$*## WOW. I've been missing the WHOLE EXPERIENCE.

I think the fact that mostly it helps people who either have to work or live far away is the best thing about updates. keeping track of some of their favorite drivers so they know how he's been doing when they can get to the track.

Some of these drivers I don't even know, Especially Waynesfield and Paragon and some of Bloomingtons. Hearing names and descriptions of what they've done, Helps me, when I finally do get to their track or they come to mine.

Theres many on this board who travel far more than me and attend many more races. I can say I logged 20,000 miles mostly in Indiana running back and fourth between home and the tracks last year. Hit about 40 shows. ENJOYED EVERY ONE! Hit all but Paragon and Haubstadt at some point last year, many two or three times. and the home track about 12+

dirt in ur beer 5/23/14 3:43 PM

Updates n televised races only soothe the withdrawals ! Dirt and burnt methanol r the only true fix for my addiction !

Charles Nungester 5/23/14 3:45 PM

I can also say going to the track is more than the racing for me. Its the people (Racers and fans) and atmosphere. Updates could never keep me away from that.

I have some favorites but its hard for me to root against anyone. If someones making moves and moving forward, I cheer him on,

One of the best runs I seen was at Bloomington in the Sprint last year at the Powri show when the track was heavy. Updates could never explain Schurenburg jumping the cushion, Running four in the fluff and coming from 17th to third before he slipped off the track.

Jerry Shaw 5/23/14 3:50 PM

If you have to ask that question, Chris, then it means that you don't really know race fans. You may walk around and talk at them, but you really listen to them.

Jerry

Chris Nunn 5/23/14 3:53 PM

I was asked to post this. Figured I'd get some feedback.

Jerry Shaw 5/23/14 3:57 PM

The premise is a little insulting to a whole demographic of people who work hard all week and spend a great deal of the money they earn chasing races. And put a whole lot of $3.75/gal gas in their cars to be able to do this.

Jerry

cleatziff 5/23/14 4:00 PM

Updates do not keep me away. If anything they make me want to be there more.

Chris Nunn 5/23/14 4:02 PM

Please don't shoot the messenger (me)

race14317 5/23/14 4:14 PM

I go to races and check the updates when I get home to relive the event I just saw. Thanks to those who take the time.

cmiracingvids 5/23/14 4:14 PM

Not at all Chris. I have to work tonight (2nd shift) or I'd probably be there. It's simple...if you can go to a race, you're going to go. If you can't, you can't. Updates just keeps all of us fans informed on everything that we unfortunately are missing out on.
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats being at the track and taking it all in.

team3521 5/23/14 4:16 PM

Absolutely NOT! I get there when I can. I follow a lot of the action in Indiana on the live updates when I can't make it.
Like last night for instance. It killed me to not be at the fairgrounds. But now that I t's been moved to Thursday, I would have had to of taken two days off to see that race. I chose to stay at home and watch updates.
Thanks to all that do the updates!

RxIxCxH 5/23/14 4:18 PM

i stayed home a few weeks ago not wanting to risk the weather at Eldora, the next morning i watched a great video recap still laying in bed. Yes things have changed a bunch with the internet, but there is nothing like being there.

Jerry Shaw 5/23/14 4:25 PM

Just don't put up posts prior to a race saying you're going to be there doing updates. That's what probably makes tracks more nervous than the actual updates you're doing and you do great updates. Just show up and do them. They'll be just as appreciated and you won't have drawn as much attention to yourself.

Myself, I use your updates as much, if not more, when I'm at that race than when I'm at home. It's like having a live, digital version of those programs they use to hand out.

Jerry

jcjohnston 5/23/14 4:29 PM

We're in Texas, so we can't make every race, we do follow Indiana Sprints and Midgets on the net. We plan our summer vacation around Midget Week and Sprint Week. We'll get to Bloomington at least a couple times this year. We've had a great time every year and look forward to our trips. The track employees, drivers, crews and fans in Indiana are the best. We appreciate the camping at the tracks and enjoy meeting such knowledgeable and dedicated race fans. Ate a lot of ice cream at Bloomington last year. Chili Bowl in January; Indiana in June and July. What a life.

cecil98 5/23/14 4:38 PM

Absolutely NOT!!

racegal 5/23/14 5:11 PM

No! If they are near I am there! If I lived in Indiana I would be there updates or not!

bojo20 5/23/14 5:21 PM

Am a BIG non wing sprint fan but also 2000 miles away Get back to Ind. twice a year- always for Sprint week. Get to tracks out here often but love to get updates of whats happening back there. A BIG thanks to all who do any updates===========joe bochenek mesa Az.

Joey Woods 5/23/14 5:55 PM

I check the live updates when I'm at the track more so than when I'm not. You get the line ups, who is in what car etc... Compare it to taking the old handheld TV's to Indy or headsets at the NASCAR races. If I'm in attendance I want all the info I can get my hands on.

ByronMack 5/23/14 5:58 PM

No, it's actually kind of nice being able to keep track of what's going on at other tracks while watching racing at my local track.

Morin Racing 98 5/23/14 6:26 PM

Since I have had to be a spectator more than I wanted to be over the past 2 seasons (car trouble), I like the updates when I am at the track because normally I can't hear or remember the finishing order to previous races...so its kinda like having a Sprint fanvision at a NASCAR race. Helps me keep track of everything going on...and now matter how big of a fan you are, you can only be at one track at a time so you can always find out what else is going on at other tracks.

Sprint63122 5/23/14 6:43 PM

All of the updates are greatly appreciated, live over in central IL and being extra busy at work now can not make as many show as I would like right now. Was over Wednesday for terre haute and will be back over sunday at Haubstadt and will be checking updates for kokomo since it is impossible to be at two tracks at the same time. My yearly gas bill is outrageous but I spend it anyway to support the non wing racing deal along with a couple drivers I help out also. The people I have met and work with over there makes it all worth it along with everything Jackslash and Mills does to provide us with the great video highlights and interviews every weekend.

SprintManDave 5/23/14 7:03 PM

Not at all. The only thing that keeps me away are health issues.

rclaridge 5/23/14 7:26 PM

Work and $$ keep me away not updates!

HurstBros0 5/23/14 8:41 PM

Nope... Being broke does.:34:

CRA91 5/23/14 10:11 PM

What keeps me from the races in Indiana is the fact that I live in California and updates are the only way that I can keep up with my many friends that race back there and see what kind of season they're having. They definitely save me from having a very large phone bill calling everyone each week.
A big THANK YOU to everyone who takes the time to give updates for those of us who are'nt able to be there.

Scott Daloisio 5/23/14 10:47 PM

We find live updates do not keep people away. In fact, may sell tickets for upcoming races. Streaming video is the opposite. That is why we insist on PPV and a blackout radius for any streamed events from The PAS.

JstAbvVMC 5/23/14 10:54 PM

YA, Just like he said. I live in "Cali" some 2300 miles away. Maybe in the next year or so when I move to Indiana I won't need the updates, but for now they are my life line !!!

cwfan08 5/24/14 1:04 AM

Nothing beats being at the race track..but when, in my case working at 2 tracks, its hard to get to a lot of places. I like seeing where everyone is running at.

Tyler

sw1911 5/24/14 1:18 AM

Dumb question wasting bandwidth.

davidm 5/24/14 8:57 PM

This is the only site I check for updates on. I do so because I love the racing in Indiana. These update help me stay connected to the race out there when I can't be there in person. Believe me if I could be at a track in Indiana I would!

Melmo 5/24/14 8:59 PM

Clawson's Spins out

Melmo 5/24/14 9:01 PM

Coons jr leading