IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   305 Sprints - Whatcha Think? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=1572)

Seadog 10/23/07 11:15 AM

305 Sprints - Whatcha Think?

Seems to be that 305 sprints have gained a little momentum this year.

So what are the advantages or disadvantages over 360's or 410's? Is it a big savings for the owners? Can the fans wrap themselves around a 305 series? I see that they run on both dirt and pavement, mostly with wings.

So what's your opinion? It worked 40 or more years ago in USAC sprints. Can the 305's succeed again?

mac miller 10/23/07 12:55 PM

Re: 305 Sprints - Whatcha Think?

The greatest sprint car racing in history was USAC in the 60s and 70s with 305 engines and narrow RR tires....

FishBurger 10/23/07 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac miller (Post 15382)
The greatest sprint car racing in history was USAC in the 60s and 70s with 305 engines and narrow RR tires....

Yep!!! :applaud:

john3g 10/23/07 1:16 PM

I remember in the 80's USAC had a 355ci rule..What and how would this effect the racing today as far as the cost and competition is concerned??

Jerry Shaw 10/23/07 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac miller (Post 15382)

That's a very true statement. However, the state of the art, currently in sprint car racing, is the 800+ hp 410. With that being the case, I don't believe Hoosier face fans are going to go in droves to see anything less. Plus, changing engine limits would put a stop to the occasional suprise of walking through the pits and seeing that a USAC team has decided to drop in and run at your local show. Now, if USAC decided to change the standard to 305, now that could open up all kinds of possibilities.

Jerry

Al Soran 10/23/07 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john3g (Post 15385)
I remember in the 80's USAC had a 355ci rule..What and how would this effect the racing today as far as the cost and competition is concerned??

Little effect on either I suspect. The folks with giant wallets will still open them up and pay $30K+ for their engines. A crate motor would have a serious effect on the cost and competition, and we would find out who has the biggest marbles instead of who's daddy has the most money. Unfortunately, the folks with money aren't interested in that.

I don't know a lot about the 305 deal, as there is only one track within 3 hrs. of me who runs them, but, if it gives a regular guy a chance to run a sprint car, I'm all for them!

john3g 10/23/07 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Soran (Post 15388)
Little effect on either I suspect. The folks with giant wallets will still open them up and pay $30K+ for their engines. A crate motor would have a serious effect on the cost and competition, and we would find out who has the biggest marbles instead of who's daddy has the most money. Unfortunately, the folks with money aren't interested in that.

I don't know a lot about the 305 deal, as there is only one track within 3 hrs. of me who runs them, but, if it gives a regular guy a chance to run a sprint car, I'm all for them!

The crate deal would be interesting to be sure but like you said big money will always win out.

zeroracer 10/23/07 3:46 PM

Did the 360 CRA deal out in california effect cost any?

And how much would cost be affected if they went to a spec head like the ASCS 360 spec head? I know the wing to non wing isnt comparible in price because your looking at two totally different kinds of engine stress but how cost effective is it initailly?

sprint4 10/23/07 6:18 PM

First, as a poor boy racer, I must say that I personally do not see this as the ultimate solution. While a motor is expensive, it is typically a one-time investment. In my experiences, it is the front end components (axle, spindles, hubs, etc), wheels, and shocks that are the most expensive "disposable" parts of a sprint car. I say "disposable", because I have a rather large collection of these parts that look more like works of art, or garbage, then their intended forms. Even a relatively mild crash is enough to wipe out an entire front end.

Having said that, I would like to submit the following additional information for those who are in favor of this solution. Here is a link to the rules specific to the 305 c.i. winged class that runs on Friday nights at Knoxville:

Knoxville Raceway's 305 Specific Rules

All of Knoxville's rules can be found here:

Knoxville Raceway's Rules Page

I am not trying to be negative about the idea, but I have seen enough races at Knoxville to know the difference just by sound between a 410 and a 360. I have also seen the 305's run on the same night as the 410's, and I can tell you that there is a big disparity in speeds.

Personally, I believe that this is a topic worthy of discussion, and would be an excellent "support" class, but I'm just not sure about turning it into the "real deal" if you will.

Charles Nungester 10/23/07 6:23 PM

I don't want carberated for obvious reasons. You buy a injections system, It should last years.

That being said I think it's a excellent Idea! Cheaper than a mini sprint and more realistic. Slap some skinny tires on em and this will allow a lot of people who want to to race em.

Like all things, If the racing's good, It will survive and thrive. If not. :action-smiley-049: