Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 3

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Silver Crown Owners (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=71999)

ossuks 9/6/13 9:24 AM

Silver Crown Owners

With all the talk of Silver Crown cars on this site I was wondering just how many Silver Crown cars are still out there? How about all you top trivia guys list the Silver Crown owners you can remember in the last 10 years?

racephoto1 9/6/13 11:04 AM

Re: Silver Crown Owners

Kunz, Fike, Hardy Boys, Nix, Pedersen,Tobias, Aqualini,Stewart,East,Guiducci,Edwards,Sachs,Batem an, Gentry,Urish,RW,Gamester,Radio Hospital(DePalma),
King, Hines,Kaeding,Pierce,Daum,Foxco,Nolen,Capie,Bruns, Carter, Lesko Racing.

There are more, I don't know the car owners, just the cars. Huntley's Ride,Hot Rods Ride,Carter boys, both cars. I can go on.

LRP36 9/6/13 11:09 AM

I wonder if Bob East kept track of all the chassis' that he built over the years...

I can name three teams in the Joliet, IL area with cars that are either for sale or race ready.

Kazmark #32 Brand New Beast Pavement Roller for sale
Kazmark #32 Beast 4-bar dirt roller for sale
also a spare Beast coil car frame for sale

Aviators #50 Beast Dirt Car for sale
Avaitors #50 Rock Run Chassis Pavement Car for sale

Old Hoerner now Jacobs #92 Two Beast Pavement cars almost race ready
Old Hoerner now Jacobs #92 Beast 4 coil dirt roller
Old Hoerner Now Jacobs #92 Beast 4-bar dirt roller (last bar/narrow car to win a pavement race with Jimmy Kite at Phoenix)

ossuks 9/6/13 11:21 AM

Great start, I will list a few that I can recall, and some #,s that may need some fill in the blanks:
2 Vance
3 fike
4 contos
6 Klatt
9 east
10 tsr
11 Snyder/foyt
14 Beechler/owner?
15(125) beach
16 lightfoot
17 rw
18 conroy
20 Nolan
22 tsr
23 6r
29 keading
3n1 mataka
32 kazman
33 drinan
37 Indiana underground
50 aviator car
51 gamester
55 bateman
53 fox bros
56 fox
63 Hampshire
66 Gary Hieber
67 zaraniun
69 Hoffman
77 urish/owner?
90 sharon banks
92 hoerner
98 santos
99 seals it
199 santuchi/edwards sp. real bad on this one also had #35 and a 3rd car
I'm in a hurry at the moment, and I will be able to put names with faces as soon as I shut down cp....sorry... just getting old!!

darnall 9/6/13 12:12 PM

The number 16 driven by Hines is owned by my buddy Mark Lightfoot out of Springfield, MO

Lincoln Chapple 9/6/13 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=LRP36;350447]I wonder if Bob East kept track of all the chassis' that he built over the years...

I can name three teams in the Joliet, IL area with cars that are either for sale or race ready.

Old Hoerner Now Jacobs #92 Beast 4-bar dirt roller (last bar/narrow car to win a pavement race with Jimmy Kite at Phoenix)[/QUOTE

Buy one cheap azz.

pwfan 9/6/13 1:07 PM

What about the Seals-it # 99 that Paul White drove

RoyaltonMiniSprint 9/6/13 1:11 PM

The trick is for the people who still got them to get them out. They are doing no good sitting in garages collecting dust. Also would like to commend the people who actually do get their cars out to race!!!!!

3wide 9/6/13 1:41 PM

Kellen Conover owns his number 76.

767 9/6/13 1:54 PM

Maybe I am to young, but I really do not see all of the love for Silver Crown cars. I have not seen a single race that would be listed in my top 100. Most would be listed in my bottom 100. I check out the website the other day and seen where the DuQuion race had a total purse of like $45,600 (something like that). If that kind of purse only brings out 14 cars, this thing is dead. If I were a track owner, no way in the world would I consider this series. :47:

racephoto1 9/6/13 2:01 PM

First Duquoin night race, a real easy top 10. For an awe inspiring run, Ballou last Sunday. As for owners, what I've been told is that they don't want anything to do with USAC. Seems like they've been stabbed so many times in the back, they don't want to get stabbed again. I wish someone would take over the series and give that boat a rudder.

This is Ballou on the rim.Impressive to watch someone string that many laps against the fence and not screw up.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5532/9...3e46130a_o.jpg
IMG_5984 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr

mr nobody 9/6/13 3:19 PM

Originally Posted by ossuks:
Great start, I will list a few that I can recall, and some #,s that may need some fill in the blanks:
2 Vance
3 fike
4 contos
6 Klatt
9 east
11 Snyder/foyt
14 Beechler/owner?
15(125) beach
16 hines?owner
17 rw
18 conroy
20 Nolan
23 6r
29 keading
3n1 mataka
33 drinan
37 Indiana underground
50 51 gamester
55 bateman
56 fox
63 Hampshire
66 Gary H. ?
67 zaraniun
69 Hoffman
77 urish/owner?
90 sorry girl drawing a blank

I'm in a hurry at the moment, and I will be able to put names with faces as soon as I shut down cp....sorry... just getting old!!

7 RW
8 Carter
10 TSR
22 TSR
27 RW
32 6R
33 6R
36 Tobias (last year at Springfield)
53 Brad Fox (team car to Darlands 56)
153 Capie

Vukie 9/6/13 4:27 PM

Originally Posted by LRP36:
I wonder if Bob East kept track of all the chassis' that he built over the years...

Old Hoerner Now Jacobs #92 Beast 4-bar dirt roller (last bar/narrow car to win a pavement race with Jimmy Kite at Phoenix)

Haven't the Aviator's cars been for sale for several years now?

Bostonian 9/6/13 4:49 PM

#98 Santos Motorsports?

TQ29m 9/6/13 4:51 PM

I know where one is, sitting on a shelf, guy got tired of walking around it, and moving it, so he built a shelf on a wall, and there she sits, hi and dry. Bob!

robb 9/6/13 5:00 PM

66 might be Gary Heiber. Didn't he win hoosier 100 once?

STIDA.com 9/6/13 7:42 PM

#5/#24. Dave Lefevre

johnnythunderhead 9/6/13 8:19 PM

there's one hellovalot of great drivers out there who would be happy to drive your old heap like they stole it, so bring em out of moth balls and put em to use and have some fun! the 4 crown becons

jmarsicano 9/6/13 8:52 PM

If you are going to buy a conversation piece, make it one helluva good one.

dkdorkboy 9/6/13 9:48 PM

38 - Graig Dori

HardyBoysRacing 9/6/13 10:20 PM

Hardy Boys #114 formerly the #144 driven by Danny Ebberts, and #15 formerly the #53 Fox brothers car

John P Huss 9/7/13 12:57 PM

#83 Champ Dirt Car was garaged this year.
Mike Stroehle Owner/Driver. In need of a engine for 2014.
Best Regards,
John:32:

BrentTFunk 9/7/13 2:59 PM

[QUOTE=racephoto1;350480] As for owners, what I've been told is that they don't want anything to do with USAC. Seems like they've been stabbed so many times in the back, they don't want to get stabbed again. I wish someone would take over the series and give that boat a rudder.[/QUOTE}
Is There anybody even left with USAC that worked there when the Owners felt stabbed in the back? Those guys are long gone.
As for someone taking over the series the PRA tried and got zero support from the owners. The problems are bigger than you can solve by just blaming anyone.

usac99 9/7/13 3:54 PM

You have the two Jasons there that failed in the PRA. Now they are trying to kill the Silver Crown series!!!!

Vukie 9/7/13 4:13 PM

Originally Posted by usac99:
You have the two Jasons there that failed in the PRA. Now they are trying to kill the Silver Crown series!!!!

I'm confused, I thought Kevin Miller was the one trying to kill the Silver Crown series. :11:

Jonr 9/7/13 5:39 PM

As I have said many times, it is an issue of supply and demand. If the demand for SC races were greater, there would be more races. If the promoters knew that having a SC race was a money maker, they would do it. Reality is that the demand is low, and most promoters do not think there is enough money to host a race. Much less an "outlaw" SC race.

Reminds me of the 80's hair metal bands. They still tour, but instead of playing football stadiums they play in local bars. Is it the manager's fault? Is it radio's fault? Is it the promoter's fault? Or is just supply and demand dictating where they play?

Finally, anyone know what is racing at Knoxville tonight?

SpfldMile 9/7/13 6:29 PM

The truth is if 10-12 cars start showing up, then races and possibly seasons will get cancelled. Then what good was it to keep the car garaged, there's nowhere to race it and no one to sell it to.

As far as supply and demand, there are thousands upon thousands of people that go and watch 500 mile parades on asphalt every weekend. I can't help but think that with some decent marketing those fans wouldn't like to see the best open wheelers haul it into the corners for 100 miles.

mr nobody 9/7/13 7:53 PM

Originally Posted by usac99:

So I will ask this: Why are you trying to apply logic to this discussion?

mr nobody 9/7/13 8:00 PM

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Is There anybody even left with USAC that worked there when the Owners felt stabbed in the back? Those guys are long gone.
As for someone taking over the series the PRA tried and got zero support from the owners. The problems are bigger than you can solve by just blaming anyone.

http://www.scrafan.com/press/2007/pra070409.html

You're so right. They only got 16 lousy cars for this event. Oh wait, they only had 14 for the Ted Horn 100 this year. Oh it's the owners fault now isn't it? Just for the record: 16>0 so that pretty much shoots your "PRA got zero support from the owners" and by owners I take it you mean car owners.

BrentTFunk 9/8/13 8:54 AM

Originally Posted by mr nobody:
http://www.scrafan.com/press/2007/pra070409.html

You're so right. They only got 16 lousy cars for this event. Oh wait, they only had 14 for the Ted Horn 100 this year. Oh it's the owners fault now isn't it? Just for the record: 16>0 so that pretty much shoots your "PRA got zero support from the owners" and by owners I take it you mean car owners.

Wasn't saying it was anybodies fault. I was saying they weren't interested. Contrary to what some chose to believe this is not a new problem. In the early 80's interest was down. Then Hewitt and Hampshire stirred things up a little. Then some people saw this as a NASCAR ticket and things grew. Even when the car counts were higher, sadly the crowds were about the same. I wish I knew what could fix it, as I really like these races, and support them as much as I can. Maybe the best way to fix it is to buy a ticket. See you at the 4 crown.

mr nobody 9/8/13 9:39 AM

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Wasn't saying it was anybodies fault. I was saying they weren't interested. Contrary to what some chose to believe this is not a new problem. In the early 80's interest was down. Then Hewitt and Hampshire stirred things up a little. Then some people saw this as a NASCAR ticket and things grew. Even when the car counts were higher, sadly the crowds were about the same. I wish I knew what could fix it, as I really like these races, and support them as much as I can. Maybe the best way to fix it is to buy a ticket. See you at the 4 crown.

Yet you took the time to state that the PRA got no support from the owners (still never answered as to who these "owners" are) and were promptly shot down on that claim.

Not a new problem? Please tell me where in the past there have only been 15 cars that showed up for a Silver Crown race? I'm not talking about the days when they only started 18 cars, I'm talking about a grand total of 15 entered cars for the whole damn night.

What I think some don't want to admit is that USAC has pizzed off the owners of these cars enough to where the owners are giving a clearly symbolic depiction of the often seen extension of the center manus Digitus Me'dius. Too those car owners performing such an act, I can't blame them. You can't keep giving chances to something or someone that has no regard or care for you as has been the case for many many years.

ThePurple73 9/8/13 9:43 AM

I thought the early 80's were sort of a boom time. Many outlaw teams had cars and drivers like Steve Kinser, Wolfgang, Swindells and others took part. They had a major event in Springfield one May called the "Dream Event", I think it was 1982. There were a number of cars from Oklahoma and California then also, such as the Ofixco(Shuman), Kearney(Vukovich) cars.

I think there is always an ongoing evolution in racing in general, it's not the publics direct interest in silver crown, but open wheel racing in general.
Speaking of the early 80's, Pancho Carter had moved up from USAC and was doing well in Indy Cars as other Silver Crown drivers would get Indy Car rides also.
How many times would you see Johnny Parson's on Indy bump day qualifying a car or trying to get in the Indy race in an exciting manner. Then you would go see JP put on a heck of a show at DuQouin. Other Indy drivers such as Roger Rager, Tom Bigelow, Larry Dickson, Larry Rice, and I am sure I am missing others who took part then in Silver Crown. Plus open wheel racers at the time such as Rich Vogler, Kenny Schrader, Jeff Gordon made Silver Crown interesting during the 1980's.
Of course you had the Delrose Holt car with Gary B, leading many a lap, he also being an Indy driver.

Seems during the later 1980's I can remember Chuck Gurney leading the pack a bunch in the Black Plastic Express car #30. That car seemed to make the grandstands shake.

racephoto1 9/8/13 10:45 AM

Excellent post Mr.Nobody , the sentiment is what I hear from car owners. Also , the PRA shows I went to were supported, I saw 30 go at Stafford Springs, and that place is a long way from almost everyone who has a big car.

ossuks 9/8/13 11:01 AM

I don't think the fact that USAC signed a huge $ sponsor 2 yrs ago and returned 0 to the owners has anything to do with the fact the bottom feel out this year. You have to understand that a $1,000,000 plus per year payroll has to be fed (sponsor money).

Sprintcarfanatic 9/8/13 1:58 PM

Mike Brecht's 1st time in the Radio Hospital car at eldora was pretty impresive to say the least Racephoto1. He started 22nd & was bangin'er off the wall while passing sometimes 2 cars. I'm positive he finished 2nd in that show.

I don't think it was Brent that said that, It was the other fella & Brent kinda copied it & it looked like he said it. I also think the other fella was talking about the DePalma's ( car owners ).

sprntr 9/8/13 2:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jonr:
Finally, anyone know what is racing at Knoxville tonight?

Knoxville had an Enduro last night :29:

Some of the Sprinters showed up at Cedar Lake (WI) for the Jerry Richert Memorial.

steiny
:32:

Jonr 9/8/13 2:24 PM

Originally Posted by sprntr:
Knoxville had an Enduro last night :29:

Some of the Sprinters showed up at Cedar Lake (WI) for the Jerry Richert Memorial.

steiny
:32:

So, one of the premier open wheel tracks would rather race an enduro than SC cars? Once again, the demand fot the SC races are not there.

Any guess what is next on the schedule for Knoxville?

mr nobody 9/8/13 2:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jonr:
So, one of the premier open wheel tracks would rather race an enduro than SC cars? Once again, the demand for the SC races are not there.

Any guess what is next on the schedule for Knoxville?

:17:

Jonr, you're obviously not a fan or supporter of the Silver Crown series so why comment on these topics?

groove grabber 9/8/13 3:21 PM

Exactly, just why do you insist on commenting on here, does it make you feel good? Sad that you feel the need to continue to run us down jonr

racephoto1 9/8/13 4:10 PM

Groove grabber, here's one for you. To watch the drivers hang it out was worth the drive for me. They may be dinosaurs, but nothing is more beautiful than a Champ car on a dirt mile.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7341/9...e06c22d0_o.jpg
IMG_5996 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr