IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   K. Miller's USAC announcement (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=86105)

team3521 7/9/15 10:31 AM

K. Miller's USAC announcement

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.co...a-sprint-week/

“We do not want to lose the heritage and history of midget racing and that is very important to me,” Miller said. “We don’t see a problem in midget racing. We see a problem in the big-track philosophy of midget racing, so we are focusing on restructuring our series around that in 2016."

To me, this says it all. He has no clue!
FIRE him now!

davidm 7/9/15 10:51 AM

Re: K. Miller's USAC announcement

What does "We see a problem in the big-track philosophy of midget racing" even mean? Is he talking about tracks 1/2 mile and larger or 1/4 of a mile and larger? They only have a couple races now on 1/2 miles, is he looking to go to all races on tracks less then 1/2 mile?

miledirt 7/9/15 11:03 AM

I had the same kind of question... I do know that Powri has thrived by running smaller tracks.

Would have like to have heard more about the Silver Crown division. One of the things that has stuck with me since the Davey Hamilton departure was in Hamilton's exit interview he talked about how he had wanted to turn the Silver Crown races into more of an "event." Again, don't know exactly what he meant by that... but with sponsorship, money, prestige etc... those races at the fairgrounds should be a big deal.

bcataldi 7/9/15 11:13 AM

Actually that statement suggests to me that he has a very real understanding of at least some of the problem. Show me a series in midget racing right now that is thriving running 1/2 mile racetracks. Powri is doing well by sticking with 1/4 mile and under (even 1/8 mile) tracks (barring Angell Park, which consistently has lower car counts than Powri averages). The largest race of the year is held at a track that is smaller than any track on the USAC schedule (Chili Bowl).

You needn't look much further than Indiana Midget Week where Lawrenceburg (the biggest racetrack) had the lowest car count of the week. While there are certainly other variables, it's hard to argue that size of the racetracks DOES have a significant impact on car count.

LEADERS EDGE 7/9/15 11:29 AM

As a car owner and long time supporter.....I miss the miles and half miles. Times change though.

Tumey's 55 7/9/15 11:56 AM

Here we go, Miller speaks so the fire is lit. It appears the response to his comments will dictated by the prism the reader is looking through. I read a commitment to preserving midget racing and the hiring of a racer, Levi Jones, to help make that happen. Seemed overall like a positive. Perhaps we should wait until the plan is revealed before getting too uptight.

Wizard 05 7/9/15 12:29 PM

If you decide to fire him,,or get him fired,,I would love to take his place and bring back the good old days,,Silver Crown first..I'll do it for less than half what he gets now and have them put the other half back into the series championship pots.And yes I'd even leave my ranch here in Michigan and move to Indy.

fish 7/9/15 6:02 PM

What should happen is your sorry rear end ought to get "fired" from this message board.

Jim Fisher

Jerry Shaw 7/9/15 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish (Post 418462)
What should happen is your sorry rear end ought to get "fired" from this message board.

Jim Fisher

I don't agree with what the original poster says in this post, but a lot of people say a lot of things that the moderators don't agree with. However, that alone is not enough to get you kicked off. Just as in this case, IOW members kind of do the housekeeping on a lot of threads. This guy made a point, but didn't really make that good of a case to back up his point, then several others followed up and did so with their counterpoint. There are a lot of people on IOW who really know their stuff. If you're going to start a thread and make a controversial point, you'd better be able to back it up. Otherwise you'll more than likely end up getting cancelled out by someone who can.

Jerry

BrentTFunk 7/9/15 7:21 PM

I know this won't be popular, but I think people who complain and whine on social media is one of the main things hurting the sport. I know if I was an outsider, I would think this would not be something worth getting involved with.