IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windom (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=115466)

GYATK94 11/18/20 12:04 PM

OnTheHammer 11/18/20 12:51 PM

Re: Windom

Quote:

Originally Posted by GYATK94 (Post 534793)
It takes a lot for me to be truly critical of any of these drivers who wheel these machines I’ve watched for my entire life, especially ones as talented as Windom. However, his driving style continues to disappoint.

Schatz could’ve dumped someone to win the WoO title last year but didn’t. Justin Grant could’ve dumped Windom in the final race the year Chris won the sprint title but didn’t. Windom, though, has no problem driving full throttle into the final corner to wipe someone out for the championship. Perhaps he’s one of our USAC guys who deserves a shot at the big leagues, a very Logano-esque move last night.

There are countless other incidents. Last year at the Grove in the Silver Crown car, he drove through Buckwalter on the last lap. It’s not always for the lead, either. If Windom has to come through the pack, you can generally count on someone having a wrecked race car thanks to his efforts. A race early this year when he totally destroyed Bacon comes to mind.

And when the shoe is on the other foot, he does things like get out and throw his steering wheel at Tyler Thomas under yellow after Tyler barely touched his left front at the 2016 Smackdown. And that wasn’t enough for “Big Daddy,” he also had to make sure he started a brawl on the front stretch after the race. He also threw a fit this year when Cole Bodine spun from the lead and Windom got collected while running fourth as if Bodine somehow did so intentionally.

I know I’m just a bleacher, keyboard warrior. Clearly, whatever Windom has done, it’s worked for him. He joined the small list of Triple Crown winners last night. It’s just been frustrating as a fan to see the amount of dirty moves he’s made, cars he’s crashed and temper tantrums he’s thrown. Anyway, just my opinion as I’m feeling disappointed in the conclusion to an otherwise thrilling midget season. Congrats to Buddy Kofoid. Seeing him out-duel Larson was very fun to watch.

- Disgruntled Keyboard Jockey

With all that's happened in 2020 you should be happy you got to see ANY racing this year. :11;

GYATK94 11/18/20 1:00 PM

flagboy55 11/18/20 1:12 PM

94!!! Good to hear from you! I didn’t make to qualifying last night but what I’ve read on Twitter it sounds like you have hit the nail squarely on the head. In part I blame USAC. Kirk kindly explained to me not long after the Buckwalter incident “there’s no penalty for contact”. Ok, maybe not but then you open up this kinda worm can. I’ll watch it tonight and critique it but the bits I’ve seen looks pretty dirty. I hope all’s well for you out in California. I must say though, from out here it looks like your governor is a tyrant.
Oh by the way. It’s ok to be a keyboard warrior, that’s your privilege as a fan and paying customer!

revjimk 11/18/20 1:32 PM

Kofoid ran a GREAT race! I was rooting for Sunshine, but congratulations to Windom for Triple Crown! :22:
What kind of mechanical failure stopped Sunshine in Arizona, anyway?

GYATK94 11/18/20 1:38 PM

California Mike 11/18/20 1:51 PM

I agree with GYAT94 on driving style. But not on being a Triple Crown winner. He won all three division, but not in the same year. Maybe a Three Division Champion. Winning the Triple Crown (Stewart, Yeley) Should not be tarnished by others who took several years obtain. Although a great accomplishment to those drivers.

revjimk 11/18/20 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GYATK94 (Post 534798)
Hey flagboy! Good to hear from you as well. I’m not as active on here as I once was, but I still loom around and occasionally post lol. When you watch the replay of the race it won’t add much context. I don’t believe Flo got video of the incident. The best I’ve seen was a camera placed in the dirt in the middle of three and four, found on Twitter. Really, though, video isn’t needed as Windom admitted to it in a post race interview. Maybe he felt so comfortable doing so because of what you said, he’ll face no repercussions.

All is well out here despite our restrictions. Definitely didn’t get to as many races as I normally would but visited Indiana for all nights of smackdown and got to a new track, Keller Auto Speedway, a few weeks ago for the inaugural Tom Tarlton Classic, paid 21,000 to win and had some big names show, including Larson. The down year will just heighten my appreciation for races I get to next year provided a vaccine is available lol.

Yea, I didn't see the incident on Flo...:11:

Joe Schaub 11/18/20 2:53 PM

So am I to believe we now to start putting asterisks next to drivers who win titles but had contact with other drivers? If so, then we need to stop thinking that any champion that has come before is as good as they were.

As a previous NASCAR fan, I saw Dale Sr. do incredibly stupid stuff like wreck LaBonte at Bristol twice, wreck Wallace at Talladega, wreck Waltrip at Richmond, drove backwards on the track at both Talladega and Dover. All the while people cheered and defended his driving style. Foyt, Andretti, Under, hell even Vogler did very questionable driving. Are we to chastise them now for it?

Bad Dad 54 11/18/20 3:34 PM

Oh boy, I had to deal w/ this problem when I was a race official, if you pulled a bone head move:14: you could count on me seeing you after the races:31:, my drivers didn't have a lotta money to fix cars. I needed 20 cars or more to make a show so I didn't appreciate someone crashing another driver:31:

IndianaSprintFan 11/18/20 4:18 PM

There’s hard race and there’s dirty/questionable sliders(which have gotten far to common)then there is driving straight into the corner to hopefully get close enough to hook someone. That to me isn’t “racing contact” it’s a complete jackass and loser move.

DJlives 11/18/20 4:24 PM

As for the Triple Crown - to suggest that it only counts if you won all in a single year would be unfair to Pancho Carter in particular. There were years in USAC where there was no attempt to keep schedules separate -and the midgets had seasons where they ran a ton of races. There was no way in Pancho's time a driver could have done this, because there was such overlap. He was the first to win all three series - he is the original Triple Crown winner

racefan20 11/18/20 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJlives (Post 534806)
As for the Triple Crown - to suggest that it only counts if you won all in a single year would be unfair to Pancho Carter in particular. There were years in USAC where there was no attempt to keep schedules separate -and the midgets had seasons where they ran a ton of races. There was no way in Pancho's time a driver could have done this, because there was such overlap. He was the first to win all three series - he is the original Triple Crown winner

Life is unfair Pat and not just to Pancho.

jim goerge 11/18/20 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Mike (Post 534799)
I agree with GYAT94 on driving style. But not on being a Triple Crown winner. He won all three division, but not in the same year. Maybe a Three Division Champion. Winning the Triple Crown (Stewart, Yeley) Should not be tarnished by others who took several years obtain. Although a great accomplishment to those drivers.

I don" think you understand how hard it is just to win in any of the series much less all 3 in a single year. Yeah Yeley, and Smoke did it which I still find it incredible, but reading what you say is that Darland and Jerry Coons, Poncho, aren"t real triple crown champs cuz took them more than a year. I think you need to rethink what you said.

Ntfsprint5w 11/18/20 7:02 PM

I guess Chris lost breaks again for just one lap like he did at Williams Grove with Steve Buckwalter....

jonboat15 11/18/20 7:14 PM

I've only seen the race on Flo as well as many USAC races. I believe Windom has been driving more aggressively for over a year now, I won't say its dirty but its a product of trying to be a champion sometimes. Me thinks its the influx of very young fearless kids driving pretty safe cars, its turning more and more into a contact sport. Big Daddy is just giving these kids some of their own medicine maybe, I still don't like what he did to Buckwalter at the Grove though. Congrats to Windom for being a triple crown champ he deserves it.

openwheelfan1 11/18/20 8:17 PM

I drove carts as a teen (way to many years ago) and I have competed in various sports since. I understand that you make decisions “in the heat of the moment” and sometimes you regret those decisions. I also understand that there is contact in racing because you overdrive your car or your competitor overdrives theirs. I draw the line though at making an INTENTIONAL move to take out a competitor in order to gain a position. In a poor quality video I saw onTwitter (that I can’t find again!) it appears Windom did just that, driving straight in to the corner to attempt to take Stenhouse out and gain the position, and in his interview, Windom essentially admitted to doing just that. I’m sorry, but I have absolutely no respect for anyone who has so little respect for their fellow competitors that they would intentionally crash them. Yes, Windom has won the USAC MIdget Championship and is now a Triple Crown champion, but he should be ashamed of how he accomplished the Midget portion of his feat. The fact that he isn’t just makes it sadder.

DJlives 11/18/20 8:36 PM

Well in this case life is fair for Pancho because I think that the vast majority see him as not only a member of the Triple Crown club..but the first member

opnwhlmnd 11/18/20 8:58 PM

Chris doesn't come to the track to make friends ... he brings his own.

For anyone to watch midget racing the last couple years and single out only Chris for questionable moves obviously has an issue with just Chris. The whole division right now is wham bam style.

No mention of Seavey driving in straight to take out Grant on the last lap of their heat. Yes Grant banged him earlier to pass but so did many others through out the night and whole season. The Chili Bowl racing style has come to all midget events now.

Congrats Chris Windom on joining the triple crown club. Well played.

badcoupe 11/18/20 9:24 PM

Not to mention sunshine doing it on a regular basis. If it doesn’t fall his way he whines. Midgets have seemed to be no holds barred the last few years. Full contact deal with it later. If these guys owned or were invested in their rides and the ability/funds to replace them things would be different. Just my opinion not that it counts.

jim goerge 11/18/20 9:35 PM

Lets just face it, They all do it just some are more noticeable than others. Back in my day if you did some of these moves you got a black eye or a bloody nose from Mr. Bob Kinser or Mr. Jack Hewitt. ;)

Bayless74 11/18/20 10:00 PM

He is one of the (many) reasons I don’t care to go to races anymore. $$ has ruined this sport along with most of the other pastimes today. Call me old, old fashioned, intolerant or whatever you want.

flagboy55 11/18/20 10:41 PM

94, don’t be coming to races out here without notice! Back to the topic. Does anyone think this move was not intentional? Here’s where I need some help from some of my veteran race fans. As I’ve mentioned before, what I’ve been respectively told, in USAC, there’s no penalty for contact. Seems to me I remember Steve Butler getting penalized for contact. Different administration now, so maybe rules are different. To me, contact is different than a dump, but that’s just me

jonboat15 11/19/20 8:04 AM

I remember Jack Hewitt saving Butlers hide from a butt kickin back in the day due to contact on the track.

oppweld 11/19/20 9:30 AM

Wasn't Ballou's first trip to the penalty box due to "Avoidable Contact"?

WinglessLovers 11/19/20 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd (Post 534813)
Chris doesn't come to the track to make friends ... he brings his own.

For anyone to watch midget racing the last couple years and single out only Chris for questionable moves obviously has an issue with just Chris. The whole division right now is wham bam style.

No mention of Seavey driving in straight to take out Grant on the last lap of their heat. Yes Grant banged him earlier to pass but so did many others through out the night and whole season. The Chili Bowl racing style has come to all midget events now.

Congrats Chris Windom on joining the triple crown club. Well played.

Agree with you about midget racing being wham bam style the last few years which to me is because of the newer generation of drivers who do not have the respect for other drivers or others equipment. The reason people are calling out Windom is the fact that he deliberately rammed the rear end of Stenhouse Jr to spin him out and gain the one position he needed to grab the point championship by one point. To me to win the championship by those means indeed makes the prize hollow and tarnished. When you spin someone out in the front end of the field you are endangering anyone racing behind you & this is unacceptable. A good punch in the nose here and there would eliminate this practice and since there is no penalty for contact it should be overlooked also. No congratulations to Chris Windom on his midget title and triple crown achievements from this corner!!!

ISF 11/19/20 1:35 PM

Just a bit of speculation from a bleacher jockey here, but, had Steve Buckwalter been allowed access to within arms distance of Windom last year at Williams Grove he (Windom) may well have developed a much different perspective on whether to make the type of move that he made on Stenhouse at Bakersfield.

Agentry10 11/19/20 3:03 PM

I am going to say this and may step on people's toes but it is what it is my family and I now have been in sprint car racing a very long time the whole atmosphere has even changed people used to want to do the right thing and be a racing family and help how ever is needed but it is so sad and will eventually kill the sport that teams with money come in and think they are the next super star and that goes all the way back to Gordon so I have been told the racing community used to have a few bad apples now it has a few good people and teams with big money are here one day and gone the next and bring all the bad piss poor attitude with them but it seems to linger even when they are gone and we as a team have been giggled at and some have said stuff like we dont belong there but the funny part we dont have to have someone to spoon feed the little guy he always manages to rise above and keep moving and when they miss the shows and the little guy cruises right on by it's worth every once of blood and sweat you pour into it and with that being said when all the big dollars dry up racing will come back and rise from the ashes and then racing will once be what it was once again

opnwhlmnd 11/19/20 7:37 PM

You are a driver it's the last lap and you may have only this one chance in your career to join the USAC Triple Crown list of course you are going to do whatever you have to do to get there. I would say most in the field would do the same thing in that situation.

People may not like it but one thing history will say is Chris Windom USAC Triple Crown winner.

flagboy55 11/19/20 9:08 PM

Well he still can absolve himself from his egregious act by taking a night off at Merced

Joe Schaub 11/19/20 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 534835)
well he still can absolve himself from his egregious act by taking a night off at merced

seriously?! :17:

flagboy55 11/19/20 9:43 PM

After checking in with my buddy Oppweld, I think we need a clarification on rulings. Is there a difference between contact and avoidable contact?

PROZ1X 11/19/20 9:45 PM

This may be the most eloquent dissertation of Mr. Windom’s entire racing career. May we all now bow our head in prayer to this new superstar of open wheel racing. I believe the best thing to do now is to adopt a REAL nickname for our new champion and here we go....

I nominate this years USAC national midget champion to be called now and forever more.....”George”.....in honor of Mr. George Blanda, the greatest punter in the history of the NFL”!

Rapid Rick 11/19/20 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROZ1X (Post 534841)
This may be the most eloquent dissertation of Mr. Windom’s entire racing career. May we all now bow our head in prayer to this new superstar of open wheel racing. I believe the best thing to do now is to adopt a REAL nickname for our new champion and here we go....

I nominate this years USAC national midget champion to be called now and forever more.....”George”.....in honor of Mr. George Blanda, the greatest punter in the history of the NFL”!

George was a kicker (and quarterback). Hate to say I am old enough to remember.

ISF 11/19/20 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROZ1X (Post 534841)

The man who is widely considered the greatest punter in the history of the NFL is a gentleman by the name of Ray Guy. Guy is the only pure punter in the NFL Hall of Fame. Should the 2020 USAC National Midget Champion be forever known as "Ray"?

okie 11/19/20 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 534844)
The man who is widely considered the greatest punter in the history of the NFL is a gentleman by the name of Ray Guy. Guy is the only pure punter in the NFL Hall of Fame. Should the 2020 USAC National Midget Champion be forever known as "Ray"?

or that guy

Points 11/20/20 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentry10 (Post 534829)
I am going to say this and may step on people's toes but it is what it is my family and I now have been in sprint car racing a very long time the whole atmosphere has even changed people used to want to do the right thing and be a racing family and help how ever is needed but it is so sad and will eventually kill the sport that teams with money come in and think they are the next super star and that goes all the way back to Gordon so I have been told the racing community used to have a few bad apples now it has a few good people and teams with big money are here one day and gone the next and bring all the bad piss poor attitude with them but it seems to linger even when they are gone and we as a team have been giggled at and some have said stuff like we dont belong there but the funny part we dont have to have someone to spoon feed the little guy he always manages to rise above and keep moving and when they miss the shows and the little guy cruises right on by it's worth every once of blood and sweat you pour into it and with that being said when all the big dollars dry up racing will come back and rise from the ashes and then racing will once be what it was once again

this may be the longest sentence I have ever read.:) made me a bit dizzy. like the content though

E.P. 11/20/20 8:04 AM

Two things:

1) it’s a shame all the energy post Bakersfield is centered Windom’s last lap decision when the chatter IMO should be dedicated to the race for the win. With the year that Kyle has had to get beat fair and square the way he did by such a young talent, that alone made me happy I stayed up until 1:30am.

2) why are we relegated to seeing Windom’s dumping of Stenhouse from a fan in the stands camera or a distant fixed Flo camera? With so much on the line somebody in the production has to be on top of that and making sure a camera is on that situation. I’m really not taking Flo out to the woodshed because they do an awesome job. I just think in this isolated incident they missed the mark.

Cheers!

jonboat15 11/20/20 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 534844)

You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay or you can call me Ray Jay etc.... funny old tv commercial. I'll just call big daddy a champ, but where in the world did the moniker big daddy come from???

opnwhlmnd 11/20/20 9:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboat15 (Post 534851)
You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay or you can call me Ray Jay etc.... funny old tv commercial. I'll just call big daddy a champ, but where in the world did the moniker big daddy come from???

Here is a partial video of Big Daddy and the reason for the nickname

https://youtu.be/tZixSYHswIc