IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent) (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=2617)

racefan20 1/10/08 7:24 PM

New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)

Looks like IRL announcer Mike King & former MLB player Brian Dorsett)
http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearc...009233706.html

4wheelsinthekoosh 1/10/08 7:58 PM

Re: New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)

The two voices that i will always remember throughout my racing career are Mike King at THAT. and Gary Lee at the Hoosier/Hulman 100's

Dirtfan 1/10/08 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 24220)
Looks like IRL announcer Mike King & former MLB player Brian Dorsett)
http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearc...009233706.html

Glad to see you were watching John, I had saw this article and was waiting for JS to post. SHORTBUS & crew are at the Chili Bowl so I knew they wouldn't.

racefan20 1/10/08 9:01 PM

Give Jerry the credit...or maybe his Dad. He called Jerry on the road who then called me. At least it is someone who appreciates the history of the place. Guess the deal breaker for Sargent's group is that the fair board didnt want a weekly NASCAR LM series and the group wanted it enough to walk away.

Mud Packer 1/10/08 9:05 PM

The comment that I liked, was that the Fair Board was taking their time in selecting a promoter. They are running out of opportunities to impress the casual race fan into returning to see another show. The new promoter will also have to work to build a trust with some of us old time fans. I attended the last fiasco at THAT and I still have a rather bad taste in my mouth. Must be all of the dirt that I ate that night.:emote20: I sincerely hope that whoever gains the promotional rights can rebuild the tradition that the Action Track once had. The old dame sure deserves better that what the old trash man threw at her.:headbang:

Flags anything 1/10/08 9:35 PM

Don't leave out Davey Hamiliton out on this group. Asthe Trb/ Star article implied King/ Hamiltion bring the race conections. King/ Dorsett bring the local face back in the picture. All 3 of them along with the local suport that does remember the history of the track it will work.

Sprint63122 1/10/08 10:54 PM

All I want to see is some non wing sprint cars and a silver crown race there at the action track and a group at least making a effort to improve the place and I am there no matter what they are charging for gas next summer.Biggest disappointment last summer was not having any racing on the famous half-mile ready to go back asap.

Jerry Shaw 1/10/08 11:05 PM

Some things that are very encouraging concerning King and Dorsett are that are both fairly young, are guys that are known around here to have high standards, are two people that have went out of their way to keep a good reputation here in Terre Haute and are both self-made success stories. King went from a local sportcaster, here at WTHI, to become "The Voice" of the biggest race in the World. And Dorsett went from being a local high school sports star to battling in the minors for more than a decade, before making it to Major League Baseball. He then retired and has become a successful car dealer.

Point being, that these are two guys that have a proven track record of sticking to it and doing whatever it took to be successful. And the way I see it, asking Hamilton to be their partner, was a real good first step.

It's the dawn of new day @ the Terre Haute Action Track.

Jerry

Sprint63122 1/10/08 11:25 PM

So Jerry how many shows do you think we can get to watch this year at the action track hopefully at least ten to start this year and go forward from there.

Jerry Shaw 1/10/08 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprint63122 (Post 24265)
So Jerry how many shows do you think we can get to watch this year at the action track hopefully at least ten to start this year and go forward from there.

In the first year, I would be happy to see 2 or 3 USAC sprint races, the Sumar, Hut Hundred and hopefully a couple of MSCS races. I would rather see the Action Track stay a big event place, in other words quality over quantity.

Jerry

nowingsjeff 1/10/08 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racefan20 (Post 24236)
Guess the deal breaker for Sargent's group is that the fair board didnt want a weekly NASCAR LM series and the group wanted it enough to walk away.

I can understand why Sargent backed out if they didn

Jerry Shaw 1/10/08 11:55 PM

That makes sense, Jeff. I see your logic. But, there is no way the people on the South end would put up with a weekly show. They complain enough the way it is.

Jerry

sprintcar64 1/11/08 12:02 AM

Nowings you are probably right but the fact is THAT will never run weekly because it is right in the middle of town. Plus the Vigo County Youth Soccer Association has hundreds of kids playing soccer there weekly every spring and fall. Most people around here realize that any racing there is a blessing because that piece of real estate is prime and I think another season like 2007 will be the last.

nowingsjeff 1/11/08 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw (Post 24276)
That makes sense, Jeff. I see your logic. But, there is no way the people on the South end would put up with a weekly show. They complain enough the way it is.

Jerry

What do they complain about, noise? I know most of the people on IOW are not used to it but mufflers could be an answer to that problem. I go to Perris every year for the Oval Nationals and they run mufflers. At first I didn't like it, but now I actually think it's OK. If that's all we have to do to keep the local tree huggers happy then I think that's a small price to pay to keep racing in Terre Haute.

Sprint63122 1/11/08 12:26 AM

I do not think they would have much of a problem with weekly shows they just need to get done at a decent hour to me it does not matter what time they get done has I will sit in the stands for hours to watch racing there especially liked the 360's with wings and without wings plus the 410's with and without wings shows from years past plus the admission price of $18.00 was a great deal and we know how long they went into the morning both nights they ran.It is just to bad with today's candy ass society out there that a few people can complain and get there way majority does not rule at all and until we can get back to the way things where done this way everything will be a struggle to get done.All I want to see happen is long live the action track and let the developers build there crap elsewhere there is more than enough land in other places to buy it is just amazing that they target racetracks a lot everywhere to build on.

Jerry Shaw 1/11/08 12:40 AM

Guys, I would rather look at the glass as half full. Or, at the very least, a hell of a lot more full than it was last year. You have two capable guys, who care about the place and have a history here, that have taken on the task of bringing it back to prominence. And one of them works for the Hulman family. That's good news to me.

Jerry

RacingRescue 1/11/08 6:54 AM

Nobody was any more surprised than I was when the article came out in the Trib-Star. Either promotional group would be great for the Action Track. Sargent has been there before and Mike King was the track announcer at one time.

As for the weekly racing at the track, yes, the local noise ordinance is part of it. One other thing that has to be considered is there are too many other tracks within driving distance of the Terre Haute area that have weekly racing and would be competing for the limited number of racers that are out there. Who would want to have racing at LPS, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Tri-State, and Danville in the same night or same weekend. I could see feature races with 15 or fewer cars.

Al Pierce 1/11/08 7:04 AM

In the first year, I would be happy to see 2 or 3 USAC sprint races, the Sumar, Hut Hundred and hopefully a couple of MSCS races. I would rather see the Action Track stay a big event place, in other words quality over quantity.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

I agree. Keep it a big event place. With the prices they have to charge I don't think fans could/would support a weekly show. Then....how about at least one Sprint Car event on Sunday afternoon with the pits in the infield? Surely they could get the track to hold up for one daytime event. Retro racin':applaud:

Dwight Clock 1/11/08 7:27 AM

Special events only, I agree. In order for THAT to return to it's rightful place of prominence the Hulman classic for sprints, Sumar classic for SC, and Hut Hundred for midgets should be the cornerstones of the schedule. One of the best attended events I saw at THAT was an MSCS race there on August 9, 2004, a Monday night. It was the day after the Brickyard and featured Bill Elliott there signing autographs. Maybe that event could be held again.

Danny Burton 1/11/08 7:33 AM

I agree. Keep it a big event place. With the prices they have to charge I don't think fans could/would support a weekly show. Then....how about at least one Sprint Car event on Sunday afternoon with the pits in the infield? Surely they could get the track to hold up for one daytime event. Retro racin':applaud:[/QUOTE]

Sunday afternoon would be a great idea if.....it was either earlier in the year and/or later. In our air conditioned society, people don't always want to get outside as much.

That is not a comment on today's society at all. We forget that we are as tough as we feel the need to be.

RDS2 1/11/08 12:53 PM

I miss the sunday afternoon races. You could have a sunday afternoon picnic at the track see some great racing and home early in the evening. Put you in a good mood before going to work on Monday.
Ron

hosstalker 1/11/08 1:39 PM

It's great to have people willing to look past the recent history and willing to sink $$$ and time into the track.

Growing up announcers would call qualifying and say, 'so and so. He won at Terre Haute..." It was understood that it was a big race.

Competing weekly against the established tracks around it sounds too difficult to me.

If they can build 6-8 good dates this year, with real fan support THAT will be OK after all.:applaud::applaud::applaud:

D.O. 1/11/08 2:32 PM

Gerry Olsen tried a weekly type thing for a while and it didn't work. No people or cars. THAT is a Special only track.

Dyno Don 1/11/08 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDS2 (Post 24322)
I miss the sunday afternoon races. You could have a sunday afternoon picnic at the track see some great racing and home early in the evening. Put you in a good mood before going to work on Monday.
Ron

I liked the Sunday shows also. No support series, just Sprints.

We would get there around noon, tailgate and watch qualies that started around 1:00PM.

Racing started at 2:00PM, I saw a complete show and was back at home in Indy by 6:00PM.

Aah, the good old days.

PS
The grandstands were packed back then. Compare that to the multi series races we have now and empty seats.

Flags anything 1/11/08 7:43 PM

If Mike, Brian & Davey are the choice of the fair board. then drop the:greenflag: on this deal and let them get to work on dates and repairs to facility, so THAT lives up to the name "ACTION TRACK"

Bill Shipman

Dirtfan 1/11/08 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flags anything (Post 24370)
If Mike, Brian & Davey are the choice of the fair board. then drop the:greenflag: on this deal and let them get to work on dates and repairs to facility, so THAT lives up to the name "ACTION TRACK"

Bill Shipman

Same Bill Shipman associated with MSCS?

dirtywhiteboy 1/11/08 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw (Post 24276)

Jerry

Who was there first? The track or the people? If the track then they should get preference. If the people, then lets work wth them so we can keep racing at THAT.

I sure hope there are a couple of Silver Crown races there with midgets and sprints as well.

Dirtfan 1/11/08 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy (Post 24385)
Who was there first? The track or the people? If the track then they should get preference. If the people, then lets work wth them so we can keep racing at THAT.

I sure hope there are a couple of Silver Crown races there with midgets and sprints as well.

Doesn't matter who was there first.Zoning, ordinances and such.

okienonwingfan 1/11/08 10:42 PM

I will give you my story of the track. I had a ex that lived in Indy and I was coming to see her one weekend. I stoppd at the gas station right off the highway to get gas before I hit Indy. As I was getting gas I was hearing what I thought were race motors so I asked the attendant, who was a female, if the track was nearby. Being from Oklahoma you would always hear stories and read about THAT. She said it was down the street. So I got in my truck and drove pass the track.

One other time I was in Indy, the Hut Hundred was getting ready to happen but I had to be back in Oklahoma for work. I got to Joplin Missouri and my boss called me to ask where I was because I had to be at work the next day. I told him I was in Joplin and I was heading home but I missed the race. He told me that he could have had someone cover my shift if I wanted to goto the race. I was so pissed :D.

I am glad to see THAT back in action. Before I die that is one track I want to get to.

SpfldMile 1/12/08 12:45 AM

I think the problem with running a weekly show is that your normal crowd gets used to paying 10 or 12 bucks at the gate, then a special event rolls in and the gate is 25. I think a lot of the normal crowd stay home then. A bunch of them are there to see their driver in a modified or Late model anyway, so the decision is easy. I wish it would work, but I just think special events are the way to go, at least at Terre Haute.

GOFOBROKE 1/12/08 1:17 AM

At least we know now the track will get the attention it deserves and you know it will be marketed well. The new group does sound promising. I just had a conversation with Bob Sargent and he said his interest in promoting THAT is still alive, but after careful consideration and some commitments he cannot get around he made the decision to walk away because he feels he could not give the track and its fans the attention it so richly desereves. He felt the time restraints on him was not fair to the history of the facility. I know my opinion does not matter, but that was a verey classy move on his part.

With Kings connection to the media, Hamiltons motorsports marketing and conneections and Dorsetts well established business savvy and local popularity it will no doubt turn some heads toward the famed half mile. If they put the right person in place to work the racing surface, there are endless possibilities the thee Action Track's success!!!!!!!

Finally good things are happening for a facility that has given so many of us so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

affordableawards 1/12/08 2:23 AM

I got a call from a friend at the chilli bowl and he said that the past usac president Rollie will also be connected with that group of people.That might just be something going around I dont know.

Dirtfan 1/12/08 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOFOBROKE (Post 24454)
At least we know now the track will get the attention it deserves and you know it will be marketed well. The new group does sound promising. I just had a conversation with Bob Sargent and he said his interest in promoting THAT is still alive, but after careful consideration and some commitments he cannot get around he made the decision to walk away because he feels he could not give the track and its fans the attention it so richly desereves. He felt the time restraints on him was not fair to the history of the facility. I know my opinion does not matter, but that was a verey classy move on his part.

With Kings connection to the media, Hamiltons motorsports marketing and conneections and Dorsetts well established business savvy and local popularity it will no doubt turn some heads toward the famed half mile. If they put the right person in place to work the racing surface, there are endless possibilities the thee Action Track's success!!!!!!!

Finally good things are happening for a facility that has given so many of us so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing, I just hope the "connections" they have will work.As we all know track prep and such will play a very very important part of the success. IMHO and just my opinion,I wish Bob Sargent was there, based on experience alone.Most of all though we should see racing return to THAT:thumb: And the first race will be?:greenflag:

BrentTFunk 1/12/08 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 24540)
Thanks for sharing, I just hope the "connections" they have will work.As we all know track prep and such will play a very very important part of the success. IMHO and just my opinion,I wish Bob Sargent was there, based on experience alone.Most of all though we should see racing return to THAT:thumb: And the first race will be?:greenflag:

I think you will see an announcement soon as to some help they may have in that department. I am a fan of Sargent, but I still think it will be ok.

Dirtfan 1/12/08 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 24542)
I think you will see an announcement soon as to some help they may have in that department. I am a fan of Sargent, but I still think it will be ok.

Hope you are right!