IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Donny Schatz (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=97345)

cmiracingvids 2/13/17 6:24 PM

Donny Schatz

All this guy does is win win win no matter what. Is it suffice to say that at this point in his career he's better than Steve Kinser? What you guys think?

nathans1012 2/13/17 6:53 PM

Re: Donny Schatz

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmiracingvids (Post 467828)
All this guy does is win win win no matter what. Is it suffice to say that at this point in his career he's better than Steve Kinser? What you guys think?

He still has a long way to go to be as good as Steve once was.. Just my 2 cents.. If he want to be as good a Steve he better find his way to a non-wing car, champ car and some other types of open wheel cars. If I'm not mistaken Steve also has an Indy 500 start, A few NASCAR Cup races, IROC races (believe he has 1 IROC win) and a good bit more.

Charles Nungester 2/13/17 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmiracingvids (Post 467828)

I got one question, How old are you?

Donny may be the best today in the WoO or even Winged Sprints all together, But how many USAC Sprint, CRA, Champ, Midget wins he have, How many Indy 500s, Daytonas IROC? I also think Donny is about 200 feature wins shy of where SK was at Donnys age.

nathans1012 2/13/17 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 467832)
I got one question, How old are you?

Donny may be the best today in the WoO or even Winged Sprints all together, But how many USAC Sprint, CRA, Champ, Midget wins he have, How many Indy 500s, Daytonas IROC? I also think Donny is about 200 feature wins shy of where SK was at Donnys age.

I was going to ask the age question as well but didn't want a smart@$$ response like I get on 4m or other forums.

Charles Nungester 2/13/17 8:12 PM

Oh, I get accused of being a SA and sometimes deservedly. Even if sometimes IM joking

However that question wasn't one of them.

If you'd of seen the wins SK just willed himself to win, (Or Karl pissed him off) Your jaw would drop. Mine's still hanging from a couple such instances.

FrankR63 2/13/17 9:03 PM

Kind of like comparing the KING to a Bishop or a Rook.

Not even in the same zip code.

Not knocking Don, he is a hell of a wheel man, but there is only one best ever.

GYATK94 2/13/17 11:08 PM

I think there are a number of factors to look at in this discussion, and those who simply brush Donny off are letting their bias affect their view. The guy has won 20+ WoO races in four consecutive seasons, and if his performance with the All Stars this past weekend is an indication of things to come, he'll make it five straight this season. That is very Kinser-esque.

One thing to consider is competition. Steve raced with some of the greats, but I've always wondered if the cars were as mechanically close in some of Steve's days as I think they are now. I find it hard to believe the TSR team could be miles ahead of the Kasey Kahne cars, Kyle Larson's car, the CJB car, etc. Admittedly, I'm not old enough to know how competitive the other cars were in Steve's days, so I can't make any justified conclusions on this point.

Some of you have brought up the versatility element, and Steve gets the obvious nod there. However, I believe Donny showed some potential is a diverse driver last month when he missed the Chili Bowl A main by a single position in what was I believe only the 4th or 5th time he'd ever been in a midget.

I do think it would be an exaggeration to say Donny is as good as Steve, but I think those of you who are dismissing him by saying he's not even in the same ball park are exaggerating as well. He's doing some Kinser-like things. I've already mentioned the 20+ win streak. Can't forget that he won 9 out of 10 Knoxville Nationals, including a drive from the B main. Like I said, I'm not going to make the argument that he's quite on Steve's level, but I think he's closer than some of you are suggesting. Either way, try to appreciate what this guy is doing while you can whether you like him or not. What he does is immensely impressive, and guys like him don't come around very often.

Nate 2/14/17 12:03 AM

I've been poking around on the internet for awhile now, even asked somebody at WRG if they had all the old point standings handy and nothing.

I'm not so much trying to compare Schatz and Kinser because the The King's records are unrivaled but I am curious as to how many drivers actually ran the full schedule and had the cars to beat him in the early years when he ripped off all those wins and won 9-10 of the first 12 years of WoO being a series.

The reason I ask is because look at the other "King", Richard Petty. He had all these championships and wins and he knew how to drive, that's for sure. But he didn't always have the greatest competition. He had great cars and would run the full season when other greats of the time only ran the high dollar shows and what not.

scottyCbus 2/14/17 8:49 AM

No way not even close to being as good as Steve!

davidm 2/14/17 8:59 AM

No one's ever handed the PA Posse their hat more then Steve!