IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kudos to Atomic Speedway (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=105184)

david mitchell 7/11/18 6:46 PM

Kudos to Atomic Speedway

I just saw on Atomic’s fb page that they are getting rid of the opening in their racetrack and redesigning it.Thankfully,someone is the first to address this safety issue.I also hear where the World of Outlaws are telling tracks they run at that any tracks that have opening in them may be taken off of next year’s schedule unless a guardrail is put in,or a redesign is done.This is long overdue.Most of these racetracks were built way back,when safety was not number one issue.An accident now at one of these tracks with such a blatant safety issue could easily shut down that track and change the entire sport.Other sanctioning bodies should follow.How much is it to put a gate in versus the alternative.

btg1963 7/12/18 8:11 AM

David, I agree with your passion, but without openings in the outer guardrails, we cannot get the cars in and out of the racetrack. One solution is to eliminate guard rails all together. How will that work at Kokomo, Lawrenceburg, and Tri State? Add the gate you say... Now we have to have a gate operator... and the gate must be of proper design or it will cause a greater safety issue. There have been two MAJOR incidents regarding guardrail openings with late models recently. One involved Hudson O’Neal and the other Billy Moyer. Now there is an emphasis on openings in the open wheel side since Beaver Dam. Let’s hope governing bodies like the World Racing Group (Outlaws) pursue this issue with intelligence and not a knee jerk reaction. Like all other safety issues our sport faces, we must have the driver’s interest at heart, but we should allow the experts to figure this one out.

Charles Nungester 7/12/18 9:53 AM

Re: Kudos to Atomic Speedway

Once again a post not based on Fact, Atomic said it's open to Suggestions. (Mine would be K-Rail the whole back straight up into the track entry)

While I Atomic's case, I don't think there's been a visit I've made there that a car hasn't either went outside the barrier or made a huge brake and dive move to miss it. Opening's aren't necessarily the problem. Leaving the ballpark is.

I think all sanctions need to look at where they're racing, I think all tracks should do a assessment.
Ultimately it comes down the racer if they chose to get in the car or not. While Im convinced many tracks can be made safer. THIS SPORT ISN'T AND NEVER WILL BE SAFE. And neither is walking down the sidewalk.

btg1963 7/12/18 10:54 AM

Good post Charles! In fact, I’ll add there are three openings at Tri State. One to enter the track, one to exit the track, and one for the tractors. The tractors have a gate, so it’s a non-factor. I rarely see the exit opening cause an issue, but it could. It seems they try to keep the groove off the wall on the entry to turn one where the exit gate is. In fact, I’ve seen more cars leave the ball park in one and two than have had issues with the opening.... Right Brady Short??

mc/rider 7/12/18 11:11 AM

:deadhorse:Nobody can spend a track owner/promoters money faster than a race fan:17:

btg1963 7/12/18 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc/rider (Post 497793)
:deadhorse:Nobody can spend a track owner/promoters money faster than a race fan:17:

I’ll say amen to that!

david mitchell 7/12/18 11:49 AM

Once again the heads go in the sand.If it wasn’t so tragic you would be laughable.Especially,Mcrider.Nice caring comment concerning what just happened.You are truly incredible.Its like we are still racing in 1950.Do you realize that one bad accident at any of these tracks with something deemed unsafe,that track will go away.Sport can be changed forever.If one preson decides its time for legal action,things change.I applaud the World of Outlaws and their feelings on this.Again,hopefully other sanctioning bodies take this stance and tracks that can’t find 25,000,000 to put in a gate,that’s what it costs I think.Oh,we need a person to open it.There’s another big hit.Absolutely incredible.

Big Game Hunter 7/12/18 11:53 AM

David you couldn't of said it better I agree

david mitchell 7/12/18 12:17 PM

Thank you Big Game Hunter.

Charles Nungester 7/12/18 1:05 PM

If your talking about openings, Then all tracks should have walls and catch fences and gates with catch fence at the entry and exit.

That's Idea.

The reality is there are tracks being run by promoters who don't own em. Tracks with any variation of walls, fences and even no walls or fence or any combination of the above.

I stand by my statement, Yes, many could and should be improved. Ultimately if a racer thinks a track is unreasonably unsafe. THEY SHOULD NOT RACE THERE.