IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How young is too young (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=100604)

david mitchell 8/22/17 9:17 AM

How young is too young

I just saw where a child was critically injured in a 600 sprint car race in texas.i doubt that he is even 15 years old.opinions on the ages of children racing now and the ramifications.a lot of people take a dim view of racing to begin with,as more injuries occur to kids how will the landscape change.are age requirements a necessity to protect the sport from litigation.everyone knows it is coming.the stage has been set since the age of kids competing has been getting younger.i have read many posts on this forum discussing it.opinions.

JDK222 8/22/17 9:34 AM

About 1600 kids die each year in car accidents not involving racing. People always want to talk about the danger, but more people die on their way to and from race tracks than at them.

IndianaSprintFan 8/22/17 10:42 AM

I don't think it's always age that matters but maturity. And how do we know if the accident even had anything to do with age. Racing can dangerous no matter age

Backitin 8/22/17 10:44 AM

Re: How young is too young

we currently own a speedway motorcycle record that will never be broken. At 12 years of age a young woman won a speedway main event on our 500cc bike at a ama sanctioned race. She is the youngest rider in the world to win a speedway race on a full size bike. Speedway is kinda dangerous. I, her parents and the young lady all knew she could do it.
15 years old is plenty old enuff to be racing a 6oo. I've seen plenty of 12 year olds drive micros great, its a fairly safe and character building hobby.
Wanna see some really scary racing involving kids ? Go to a local mx race, the micro sprints will look like a easter egg hunt after that.

JDFAST 8/22/17 12:17 PM

I don't like seeing kids race sprint cars, but the cat is out of the bag. It's not unheard of to seeing kids 15 or 14 racing sprint cars (even in CA). I personally think kids this young don't understand the consequences or risks. I'm old, new generation of kids racing fast cars when there quite young, and combining with race car simulation, the kids are much more experienced.

I don't have to like it, but it's here. Racing is relatively safe, but sprint cars are still dangerous, and I just dread hearing bad news, whether its an adult, but especially a kid. I think kids as young as 12 race winged micro sprints, and just a tad older to race non wing

davidm 8/22/17 12:26 PM

In 2015 there where 13 High School Football deaths. Could you imaging the public outcry if that where to happen in motorsports?

JDFAST 8/22/17 1:22 PM

"Giovanni is 15 years old and drives a 360ci Winged Sprint Car. " Winning winged 410 races in Ca and Iowa. Does winning against the best, mean u should be racing, I don't know. But these young racers have the skill to race :) and win

david mitchell 8/22/17 3:55 PM

Yes,david m i can imagine outcry,that is why i am asking this question.you seem to be in tune with how this country works now.many still don't understand.new jersey is the most regulated state when it comes to racing.what is there rule or do they have one.anyone in jersey viewing or does anyone know.if anyone has age limit it would be them.

smitty3725 8/22/17 4:17 PM

The young man in Texas woke up today and is alert doing pretty well from the sounds of things.

cshuman 8/22/17 4:56 PM

It was a micro sprint that he was hurt in.