IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Smaller Wings (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=110901)

brsteg 9/3/19 2:31 PM

Smaller Wings

I know we aren't really supposed to talk about those full throttle, dirty air causing, parade, sorry excuse of a sprint cars here; but I wanted the thoughts of the non-wing minded crowd that sometimes tolerates a winged race or two.

What would you guys think if WoO and All*Stars came together and announced they were going to move to smaller wing. Not drastically smaller, so that it hopefully doesn't look goofy, but say: 1 inch narrower & 3 inches shorter center foil; an inch shorter wicker bill; and inch and a half shorter side boards to take some of the down-force out of the cars and get them lifting on more tracks earlier in the night. Hopefully, but no guaranteeing that the trailing wake isn't as bad and allows them to run closer, particularly in heat races.

Would you be interested if they went that direction, would you pay more attention to the wing cars at least at first to see how it looked, would you not care at all and still only tolerate them, or do you want them just left alone?

Aero, is the one common thing that is hurting ALL of auto racing. Even in the non-wings at the fast tracks, clean air means something according to the drivers. Fortunately non-wing is the least effected by the nature of the cars and good rule enforcement. But everyone else, it's just a matter of if the major sanctioning bodies are doing anything about it to minimize the pain or not.

ThePurple73 9/3/19 3:30 PM

Re: Smaller Wings

Invent a passing mechanism.

Non wing lover 9/3/19 6:07 PM

Non wing fan here could care less what the wing set do wish nonwing racing would pay more there paying purses like it's the 1970 or 80s it's 2019 need to increase purses that goes usac as well as the local level

oppweld 9/3/19 7:03 PM

If you Have to run wings, I think they should use the super sportsman model of PA. Narrow top wing no nose wing!

Andrew S. Quinn 9/3/19 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oppweld (Post 519905)
If you Have to run wings, I think they should use the super sportsman model of PA. Narrow top wing no nose wing!

Dont forget No Power steering either....

Sprintcarfanatic 9/3/19 7:41 PM

The 305's was like that at Fremont & Attica when they 1st started

staggerman 9/3/19 8:12 PM

SOD in MI gave everyone what people have been saying for years, narrow the tires. So they went to 13” RR (Medium compound) and 11” LR to even out the expensive motors. There has not been one other 410 or 360 group (winged or non-winged) give the tires a try. They are even cheaper. It would not surprise me to see SOD give up on the experiment next year since there is new ownership. Tires would have been a better option than wings.

Rpracing1 9/3/19 9:36 PM

I love big wings and I cannot lie.

Actually the bigger the better. Used to love it when they had the run what ya bring and these guys had those multiple ginormous wings. Loved that. That being said, I’ll take a tradition non winger ANY day.

RACrappieman 9/3/19 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpracing1 (Post 519919)
I love big wings and I cannot lie.

Actually the bigger the better. Used to love it when they had the run what ya bring and these guys had those multiple ginormous wings. Loved that. That being said, I’ll take a tradition non winger ANY day.

There is a picture of Doug Wolfgang in a winged car in the 1970’s that had a wing on it so big he said he had a hard time passing cars because he thought it might hit them. It was something like two feet bigger each way or something ridiculous. I doubt winged cars will ever get away from the 5’x5’ wing myself.

davidm 9/3/19 11:27 PM

URC also used to run a 15 ft wing like the Super Sportsman do today.