IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   KAMP SPEEDWAY REOPENING 2014! Bank excepted offer & MORE. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=73167)

nathans1012 11/2/13 7:36 PM

KAMP SPEEDWAY REOPENING 2014! Bank excepted offer & MORE.

KAMP MOTOR SPEEDWAY REOPENING IN 2014
The bank that had the track has excepted the offer from Street Stock driver #II Michael Daugherty.
As of Right now track will run the same divisions as Shadyhill Speedway.
Racing Saturday Night and PAYOUT WILL BE CASH $MONEY$.
Have heard that Michael has already acquired equipment from Georgia.
More announcements in the next few months.
From TJ Larson Facebook Page < Helping Daugherty with the track.

THIS IS NOT A CRUEL JOKE / B.S. EITHER.
Just letting folks know the track has been bought and WILL reopen in 2014.

bowbuild 11/2/13 7:52 PM

Re: KAMP SPEEDWAY REOPENING 2014! Bank excepted offer & MORE

Positive news! Wow that is great!

Jerry Shaw 11/2/13 8:16 PM

Hopefully they sign a USAC or MSCS show. Give me a reason to go and I'll head straight there. I like that place a lot!

Jerry

Spi-nex 11/2/13 8:30 PM

Other than the whole "excepted" issue this is the best news I've heard in quite some time! Awesome!

treecitytornado 11/2/13 9:25 PM

A Non-Sanctioned, Open Tire, 410 Non-Wing show or 2 would be great! I like racing at this place!

johnnythunderhead 11/2/13 9:35 PM

where is it? never mind, I see its 87miles n w of indy (I-84 doesn't go there) are there no 3/8 - 1/2 mi. high banked speedways in s/w oh., s/e in. or n. ky. to re-open and run sprint cars and midgets on fri. and sun?

Hotshoe65s 11/2/13 9:38 PM

IMO, running the same classes as a track that isn't too far away, on the same night isn't going to work. That will kill your car count in the lower classes. The mods will be fine because there is enough to go around, but the lower classes will suffer. If you run a class that Indiana super stocks can run, I'll be there.

kcarm92 11/2/13 9:52 PM

Maybe the plan is to get cars away from shadyhill. But your right Dustin if they ran indiana street stocks we would be there think alot others would also.

nathans1012 11/2/13 11:13 PM

When more is announced I will post it here I.e. website, rules, schedule, ect.. Shadyhill shot them selves in the foot a long time ago. They treat people in the pits like crap and are extremely rude. The hill will lose cars and I know a few already that will be there. As of right now there main classes will be UMP Modifieds, UMP Stock Cars, I-Mods, Pure Streets (V8), 4 Cylinders. Specials TBA.

hoosier race fan 11/2/13 11:30 PM

I would love to see them run late models again, but I wouldn't be surprised if having the money to pay them a reasonable purse is an issue. I would definitely swap out the IMods for Sportsman/Indiana Super Stocks. Shadyhill will always have their loyal regulars, but the reopening of what was known as Kamp Motor Speedway will probably have an impact on them. More of an impact than Plymouth did this year.

jontheturboguy 11/3/13 3:09 PM

Mmmmm tq midgets at Kamp??

Spi-nex 11/3/13 3:12 PM

Instead of worry about what classes they will run I'd be more interested in hearing about how they are going to get people in the stands. I don't think I ever saw more than a 1/3rd full grandstand at best, but I wasn't there every week either.

spicoli 11/3/13 3:17 PM

If they run non wing sprints, I'll be there every week.

It looks like Plymouth bailed on that idea, even though they had good car counts and fans in the seats. Someone could take advantage of that.

Jerry Shaw 11/3/13 3:43 PM

There was a real big crowd for the Sprint Week show they had there. They ran a USAC Midget show there, which drew a big crowd, as well. MSCS drew a real nice crowd, too. Not as big as the USAC ones, but respectable. And that place has a big seating capacity, so as long as they can have enough space to park everybody, they could host some marquee events there, once they get their operation up and going.

Jerry

Spi-nex 11/3/13 4:36 PM

Didn't Kamp used to be a pavement track many years ago? Henry Motor Speedway I think?? Love to see some old photos of the place.

nathans1012 11/3/13 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 356571)
Didn't Kamp used to be a pavement track many years ago? Henry Motor Speedway I think?? Love to see some old photos of the place.

That is correct.

19racer 11/3/13 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 356571)

Track opened in 1967 with owner Avery Henry. Track went by chase raceway and then Henry's Speedway. was paved in 1977 then returned to dirt in 1997

19racer 11/3/13 10:12 PM

If they decide to run sprints they need a good catch fence and move flagstand out of harms way.

treecitytornado 11/4/13 8:00 AM

It was Benton Co. Speedway back in the day.

dirtball 11/4/13 2:43 PM

Almost caught him!

hairracer44 11/4/13 6:28 PM

Glad to here it is going to be back open but judging from these pictures someone has a lot of work ahead of them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Hotshoe65s 11/4/13 7:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The following pictures were taken at the beginning of September.

Hotshoe65s 11/4/13 7:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hotshoe65s 11/4/13 7:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hotshoe65s 11/4/13 7:12 PM

I have more photos, but the one's about give a good idea of what the facilities currently look like. I don't see any reason why a little manpower and dirt work couldn't get the place in shape by next year. Most of the stuff (bleachers, fence, etc.) is still in good shape. The walls need some work and some of the buildings could use some TLC. Can't wait to see racing in Boswell again next year.

Racer12 11/5/13 1:40 PM

Glad to hear they are reopening. But if they plan to run open wheel cars they need to do something about the highway barriers they use for a wall. Saw two cars go out of the park without even flipping!

Bob

ISF 11/5/13 2:19 PM

Would this be the track that appears on Google Earth about 2 miles East and a little bit South of Boswell? If so it's between a 1/4 and a 1/3rd mile depending on how you measure it. Closer to a 1/4 than a 1/3.

kcarm92 11/5/13 4:04 PM

More than likely

19racer 11/5/13 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 356753)
Would this be the track that appears on Google Earth about 2 miles East and a little bit South of Boswell? If so it's just a tick under 1/3rd mile depending on how you measure it.

Physical address is. 1160 west. 650 south Boswell In.

ISF 11/5/13 5:13 PM

This track is in dirt late model country as well as open wheel territory. Now, the next race I promote will be the first, but I would think this place could successfully cater to both genre's on a regular basis. Plus, by the looks of it's location there shouldn't be any problems with urban sprawl or a population concentration close enough to cause trouble.

Hope it gets back into operation. It's close enough to us that we could make it a regular race destination if they were to run some wingless and/or midget shows.

sprintsrule 11/5/13 8:24 PM

Best news!! Henry's was a great place to watch races back in the day, but was glad when they went back to dirt....pavement is for getting TO the races! They do have a lot of work obviously....they will get it done. Look what Indy looked like back in the day(not comparing the uncomparable)...give it time and a lot of support!

UberKuhlMan 11/5/13 8:33 PM

Awesome news! It was always one of the Indiana tracks I was afraid I'd never see. This is great and hopefully we can get some kind of Open Wheel race there next season! KC reopens, Kamp reopens, what's next?

Hotshoe65s 11/5/13 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberKuhlMan (Post 356791)
Awesome news! It was always one of the Indiana tracks I was afraid I'd never see. This is great and hopefully we can get some kind of Open Wheel race there next season! KC reopens, Kamp reopens, what's next?

Kentucky Lake Motor Speedway in Calvert City, KY is also opening back up in 2014. It is also rumored that Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL might be opening back up.

Nialith 11/10/13 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISF (Post 356765)
This track is in dirt late model country as well as open wheel territory. Now, the next race I promote will be the first, but I would think this place could successfully cater to both genre's on a regular basis. Plus, by the looks of it's location there shouldn't be any problems with urban sprawl or a population concentration close enough to cause trouble.

It's located way out in the country and the only problem they will have is incurring the wrath of my mother who lives about a 1000 feet to the east. :3: She isn't a fan of the noise and dust on those Saturday nights and was delighted when it closed down so I can't wait to tell her the track is reopening. I'm hoping it does well, I spent so many Saturday nights there watching friends and relatives run.

Way back it ran a figure 8 race as well which was just crazy to watch. I would love to see the Late Models come back as they were always my favorite. The concerns about the walls are valid though as I watched a friends dad, Gerry Gobel, put his late model over the wall pretty easily. Hadn't been there since it changed back to dirt and pulled the pits out of the middle, so maybe that part has changed.

7jackpot 11/10/13 7:40 PM

Wish u would consider running sportsman/indiana super stock again. We raced there in the past years and would like to race there again. I know of quite a few in this class that are wanting to race there again.

19racer 11/10/13 8:27 PM

From a post I seen today they are for sure running Ump Mods and stock cars, pure streets, and 4 cyl. More info will be released on race star in dec.
late model weekly racing is a thing of the past I believe. If they plan on running sprints or midgets shows they need a lot of safety improvements before that will happen. I honestly don't see any special shows for them or lm for least a year or two to try and get a revenue built. im sure they would be all for it if someone wanted to sponsor the show.

dirttracker51 11/15/13 10:55 AM

I only live 3miles from the track and own a super stock. What a shame after. 30 yrs of going there and working there I still can't run there. We will see how it goes. Lot of sportsmans sitting cause of no were to run close by

Torry 11/17/13 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nialith (Post 357157)

Way back it ran a figure 8 race as well which was just crazy to watch. I would love to see the Late Models come back as they were always my favorite. The concerns about the walls are valid though as I watched a friends dad, Gerry Gobel, put his late model over the wall pretty easily. Hadn't been there since it changed back to dirt and pulled the pits out of the middle, so maybe that part has changed.

What made the figure-8 show interesting was that there were cars pitting in the infield.

The place had horrible drainage problems.

nathans1012 11/20/13 12:30 AM

JUST GOT WORD A FEW MINUTES AGO. GREAT NEWS FANS AND COMPETITORS.
The Benton County Board has approved the sale of KAMP MTOR SPEEDWAY in Boswell, Indiana to Street Stock driver #II Michael Daugherty and WILL RE-OPEN in the spring of 2014. I will post it here and on 4m when rules, payouts, ect are released. He hopes to have rules done by mid December.