IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Midgets... didn't realize this (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=112010)

flagboy55 12/7/19 2:41 AM

BTW pretty sure that illustration shown was explained somewhere, perhaps I read it on Twitter. But the official who appears to be lending a hand was a track official and not a member of the staff of the sanctioning body

jdull99 12/7/19 2:42 AM

Re: Midgets... didn't realize this

[QUOTE=Indy1808;523472]I wholeheartedly dislike team and big corporate $$$ funded racing at this level. The money and team sponsorships are misplaced and would be better utilized in sponsoring events for ALL to get a piece of the pie.
Ok let the bashing of my opinion begin![/QUOTE

It's nice to see the two National midget clubs with VERY healthy top teams, AND more cars than (USAC at least anyways, but I think POWRi may actly average less than it used to? Don't quote me on that...it's a question! lol) really had just a few years ago; BUT; IMHO, is it has turned into more of WoO racing (mostly top teams and a few guys that show up for a nice starting pay and to say they raced with the top guys in their level); than what it was "back in the day". They (USAC & POWRi) are gona have to not schedule on top of eachother; since there are less & less National cars that may choose to race with them thru-out the country (I know Turkey Night, Indy, etc were high car counts, I'm talking about like PN). Now ya, (almost) everyone has a state of the art carbon fiber body (some ALL the way around, lol), a decal wrap that is equal to the cars that race on TV, paid crew members that earn (or sublimit) a living off racing, etc; but it's gona take sponsor commitment to keep this going thru the 2020s...maybe more fans will come to see the best of the best, but back gate will take a hit...time will tell how sustainable it is...let's hope the 2020 schedules are as healthy as they were last year and the bottom doesn't fall out on the $ the teams have!

Jonr 12/7/19 10:31 PM

I fell in love with the midgets a little over 10 years ago when I was transferred to southern Wisconsin. At that time, there was a huge debate over Badger midgets and the cost associated to run the cars.

A decade later, it seems that the midget class is doing great. There are several well funded top of the line teams that makes sure all of the events are great to watch. It is going to be KKM car, CMR, Boat, Petry? CMR has a ton of fans because of BC. KKM is the Yankees of midget racing. You either hate them for all of their riches or you love them for their success. There are still a ton of smaller teams and one car teams that can show up and win at any event.

And now Badger has been reborn and is having great car counts. The number of D2 series/tracks is growing by leaps and bounds. And there are pockets of midgets running an outlaw/blended rules that seem to be succeeding as well.

I love midget racing and will determine which tracks I attend on where the midgets are at. When I have the ability to travel for a race, I am going to go to a midget race. Why anyone would be upset that there are teams that are bringing in top of the line cars, bringing in great talent, and sometimes even bringing special guest stars (Larson, Bell, Stenhouse) is beyond me.

OK Boomer. It is not like it was back in the day......it is better.

flagboy55 12/7/19 10:46 PM

Well said. The National tour is that because they are the best. As Jonr says and I agree there is plenty of lower divisions for midgets these days and I wish them all the best. Again I will say, as a fan only, watching a USAC midget race these days is almost as good as it gets

jim goerge 12/7/19 11:02 PM

This last year I saw more PowrI races than USAC and it really didn"t matter cuz more times than not the KKM, CMR, the Petry and the Boat teams were there so it always seemed the all the best were there, I love watching the KKM cars run cuz Keith has some kids 14, 15 year olds that can wheel those cars, I am just amazed. If its midgets I"m watchin it no matter which series it is. Wish USAC would low the age limit so those kids could run USAC too. :8:

HDbill 12/8/19 1:05 AM

There will be about 300 cars at the C/B that don't have Toyota or Sr11X engines. They already know that they have ZERO chance of winning on Saturday night. But they go for the time with old friends and the chance to race against cars like theirs all week; with another shot on Saturday until they get to the B or C mains. And there will probably not be more than 10 cars with engines that are legal in BADGER. Almost none of those cars will be at a USAC show because it doesn't make sense to take a chance on beating up your stuff with virtually no shot at even finishing in the top 10. Come on C/B! And thanks BADGER.