Indiana Open Wheel

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   PePi Marchese Photo ??? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=27719)

cars5752 1/9/10 9:14 PM

PePi Marchese Photo ???

Trying to locate a photo of Pepi Marchese. I have an old midget he once had and I've tried for years to get the history on it prior to him owning it, with no success. It appears to be a copy of an Edmunds. The car was black with a gold leaf #5 on the tail section. I did so well with my request for the Smith Speed Shop Dirt Champ Car photo, that I thought I'd give this a try. Many thanks. -- Dave Hatcher

Lucky161 1/10/10 12:16 PM

Re: PePi Marchese Photo ???

Met Pepi Marchese at the Copper World one year. Quite a character!

litehousecollector 2/8/10 10:27 PM

Years ago he raced with UMRA. Someone with the old UMRA might have pictures of him.

reedjp 3/8/10 12:02 PM

I bought a 5EC Edmonds with a chevy 2 marine engine and a pontiac iron duke from pepi years ago when the speedrone was owned by john stiles he might have pictures . pepi came from sun prarie area raced there .When I knew him he bought a sprint car from me and raced paragon bloomington and putnamville .He was later injured seriosly in a midget race at eldora My fault if I hadn,t Loned him a fuel pump he wouldnt have been there! Last I heard he had been in a veterans home in muncie Ind and passed away there I recomend you check with the track photographers.

coxie bowman 3/8/10 4:01 PM

I used to stop and see Pepi at the Veterans Hospital in Marion, Indiana. He was admitted as JAMES, but the guards at the gate knew him by Pepi also. Pepi had a GREAT long term memory. He knew me from years back, but couldn't remember if his wife visited him yesterday.
I do not remember reading about his demise recently, so one would think he is still in the hospital in Marion. I think I will check.
Pepi was quite a colorful guy, he once flipped his midget several times at some track, and when it was done flipping, he crawled out from under it and, TOOK A BOW! to the crowd, WHAT A GUY!!!:32::22::6:

TQ29m 3/8/10 4:39 PM

Originally Posted by litehousecollector:
Years ago he raced with UMRA. Someone with the old UMRA might have pictures of him.

If anyone would know, it would be Sandy Lowe, you can PM her on here, just put in her name. Jim Morrison might be privy to that info also. I know of Pepi, but don't recall seeing his name in any of the old year books I have. Bob

TQ2M 3/23/10 3:44 PM

Pepi drove Billy Reeves T.Q. in '82 or '83.

smith19 3/23/10 10:56 PM

didn't his family own the milwaukee mile and were very wealthy. (go figure).

gearguy 3/24/10 8:05 PM

I don't know that he was related to the Marchese Brothers who promoted the Milwaukee Mile races for many years after great careers as race car owners. The track has always been publically owned, hence its current precarious situation with a meddling fair board.

As promoters the Marchese Brothers had few equals. You couldn't go in a bar or barbershop in Milwaukee without seeing a poster with the Mile's schedule on it.

7 big USAC races a year with good crowds & full fields. They even had "last chance" races for the last two stock car starting positions in a time when you practiced, qualified, & raced the same day.

A great town to be a gear head kid in.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois

coxie bowman 3/25/10 9:40 AM

Pepi told me one time that the BROTHERS were his "UNCLES."

wheelnut 5/7/10 9:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello

I also have a ex Pepi 5 car
It on its way to Australia in the next few days

[IMG]http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...picsusa021.jpg[/IMG]

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...picsusa022.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...picsusa023.jpg

gearguy 5/7/10 5:22 PM

That lookslike a"Turner tub" to me. Have you checked with Lance at Turner Auto Body in Kenosha about it? He has a pretty good history on the rather small number of tubs built. I think he told me it was 11 or 12 in all.

wheelnut 5/7/10 8:02 PM

Yes your correct gearguy it is a Harry Turner car and yes I made a point of going to visit Lance on a recent trip that I made to the USA
He made me welcome and I checked his collection of nicely restored midgets
He is a wealth of information and history.
Does anyone have pics of the 5 car in action??

Or information on it??

Thanks

Paul

sprintcar64 5/9/10 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by wheelnut:
Yes your correct gearguy it is a Harry Turner car and yes I made a point of going to visit Lance on a recent trip that I made to the USA
He made me welcome and I checked his collection of nicely restored midgets
He is a wealth of information and history.
Does anyone have pics of the 5 car in action??

Or information on it??

Thanks

Paul

That car was built for one of the Bettenhousens I believe. I know for a fact that Roy Caruthers had this car for a while then my dad Danny Williams Sr. had this car and sold it to Pepi in 1984. I have pictures of my dad in the car. We were talking over the winter about this car and trying to find it to restore.

italyluv4u1 5/11/10 11:51 PM

Hi I happen to be Pepi Marchese's niece! Want to let everyone know he is doing pretty good he is hanging in there. We have lots of pictures of him!!Want to know anything feel free to ask!!:6:

wheelnut 5/13/10 12:43 AM

:8:Well there you go the power of the internet search.

It would be great if I could contact you in some way regarding the pics that you have.

And to find out some more about your uncle Pepi and his midget racing.

The car is coming to Australia and will be restored and will be involved in historic speedway events and run in spirited demonstartion runs.:22:

cars5752 5/17/10 9:47 PM

Italyluv4u1, I've sent you a pm. Thanks.

wheelnut 5/18/10 7:05 PM

I have also sent messages cars but had no reply ??

Maybe she doesnt get on the net to often.

But I sure would like to chat with her and find out some more

cars5752 5/18/10 8:35 PM

Same here. I have one of Pepi's old midgets and I have the history of it back to when he owned it. I've tried for years to find out anything about it, prior to his owning it, but have struck out many many times. When I saw her on here, it was another shot.

wheelnut 5/19/10 11:08 AM

O well hopefuly one day Italyluv4u1 will come back and be able to share some stories
And fill everyone in on how Pepi is doing.

nonwing 5/23/10 1:17 AM

Now that I know he is still up in Marion I need to take an afternoon and go see him.

Interesting story, for some reason he asked me to drive his midget with his Chevy II at IRP for a USAC show. As I was climbing in the car he tugged on my uniform and said. "Uh, you know if you tear it up, you will have to fix what ever you break". LOL. I almost climbed back out, but I liked Pepi and I was happy that he asked me to drive his car. It was the white car with the blue #5. Funny thing, he didn't buy a new RR because we thought it was going to rain us out. Then because of the used up RR in hot laps, I spun it coming off of four and the announcer said, "Race Fans it looks like Pepi Marchese has spun coming off of 4." That was actually nice to hear.LOL. That was all I got to drive because the rains came and ended our evening. We didn't hook up again.

I need to make plans to go see him. He was always really nice to me and we raced a lot together back in 1986 -1989. I can't recall the year he got hurt at Eldora. I know it was the four crown. His head actually got hung up on the outside of the cage net as he barrel rolled. It was a shame that a safety device was the reason for his head injury. In fact, my cars never had a cage net.

George Wilkins

cleatziff 5/23/10 5:35 PM

My dad and Pepe were friends. He believes he has a picture of the two of them together. He is going to look for it after the 500 qualifying is over. If we can find the picture I will post it later. He also suggested if you would like pictures of the car to get in touch with National Speed Sport News.

cleatziff 5/24/10 10:38 AM

OK I have the pictures!! I am work today though so I won't be able to post them. I will work on it tommorrow.

Vukie 5/24/10 6:31 PM

Here is a photograph of Pepi that I took at the Milwaukee Mile years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vukie53/...74768408591586

cars5752 5/24/10 8:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the car I now have and the one I've tried for years to get the history on. I can trace it back to Pepi. He sold it to Danny Rogers and from there it was sold to Dick Southworth of Michigan. He sold it to Glen Schmidt, who raced it very little, and prior to me, it was owned by Tom Smith of Frankfort, Oh., who had it in a small museum he had. I cannot find anything on it past Pepi, and I've even talked to him, but in his current state, he couldn't be of much help. It's neat seeing all these post about him. It anyone know anything else on the black 5, feel free to reply. Many thanks.

cleatziff 5/25/10 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are the pictures I got from my dad. The first one is Pepi on the left and my dad on the right. The caption on the second picture says Troy Cope is on the left Pepi in the center and Joe Roush on the right. Both of the pictures were from the Buckeye Midget Series awards banquet in 1984.

cleatziff 5/25/10 6:20 PM

My dad was giving me a hard time for not mentioning his name in the post. I told him I did...Dad. His name is Bob Hayden.

Bob Hayden 5/26/10 12:09 AM

I feel much better now! LOL LOL

racetrackin 6/26/10 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nonwing:

.... I can't recall the year he got hurt at Eldora. I know it was the four crown. His head actually got hung up on the outside of the cage net as he barrel rolled. It was a shame that a safety device was the reason for his head injury. In fact, my cars never had a cage net.

George Wilkins

I think it was in '92. Pepi was hurt right after Bob Shupp was killed at Belleville.
I just stumbled across this thread while trying to get an update on his condition. I'm really glad to find out that he's doing so well. I got to know him a little and always enjoyed visiting with him.
Here's a shot of him waiting to qualify there at Belleville in '92.

Tom Marchese 6/27/10 2:25 PM

Pepi is alive and doing as good as possible considering the injuries he sustained at Eldora. He is being cared for at a nursing home in Marion Indiana. .................................................. .. Tom Marchese ( Pepi's brother )

wheelnut 6/28/10 8:52 AM

Hello Tom

Welcome aboard glad you stopped by here.:8::22:

Paul (from Oz)

wheelnut 8/30/10 8:07 AM

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/100_1938.jpgAn update on the ex Pepi Marchese "5" Turner built midget.

The car has finally arrived in Australia for its holiday in the sun and will be going to its first race meeting next weekend.
The meeting is an event called the Speed on the Tweed. Its for historic road racing cars where they shut the public roads down in the town for the weekend and race around the streets. The historic speedway club does a static display of usually several cars and a few speedway bikes and a sidecar. The purpose of taking the Pepi car there is to show anyone who is interested how the cars can be before the restoration process begins.

I am looking for some decals for the resoration process.Does anyone know if the orignal USAC car registration decal (pic below) are available??

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/100_1939.jpg

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/100_1924.jpg
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/100_1933.jpg
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...t/100_1930.jpg
[URL="[IMG]http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv177/thebikeguy27/Pepi%20Midget/100_1919.j

ccabrales 9/9/10 3:20 PM

Yes my uncle still is quite a character, been a while since I've seen him though. He is still in Indiana, and doing Ok.

MarcheseFan 9/17/18 10:31 AM

He is still doing well. At Marion VA. Watches car shows and races constantly. He remembers random stuff but has a hard time finding words. He only has a few pictures from his racing days. Maybe I can print these posted and take them too him.

MIKE HEIMEL 9/17/18 11:09 AM

Not sure but I believe that Bob Black from HARF has a photo. I gave him one several years ago and if you know Bob he dont throw ANYTHING AWAY !! Hes on IOW (HARF PREZ)and Facebook ( BOB BLACK) Tell him I sent you !!