IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   And so it begins (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=105640)

flagboy55 8/8/18 6:33 PM

And so it begins

Night number one of the granddaddy of them all starts tonight. Knoxville Nationals. Can anyone dethrone Schatz? Can Larson advance one spot? Can Sweet parlay his Capitani Classic win to another on Saturday? These and many more questions to be answered starting tonight. I’m going to pick Kyle to win, what’s your thoughts?

Charles Nungester 8/8/18 6:37 PM

Re: And so it begins

:44:

dkdorkboy 8/8/18 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 499817)
Night number one of the granddaddy of them all starts tonight. Knoxville Nationals. Can anyone dethrone Schatz? Can Larson advance one spot? Can Sweet parlay his Capitani Classic win to another on Saturday? These and many more questions to be answered starting tonight. I’m going to pick Kyle to win, what’s your thoughts?

Larson last qualifier tonight and Schatz is first out.Kyle better hope the track holds up during qualifying.

BigWheel7 8/8/18 7:20 PM

I’m going to root for any non wing regulars to win even if they may be slowly switching to wings.

First time ever coming to the Knoxville Nationals though, so hopefully it’s as spectacular as advertised.

motorhead748 8/8/18 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWheel7 (Post 499824)
I’m going to root for any non wing regulars to win even if they may be slowly switching to wings.

First time ever coming to the Knoxville Nationals though, so hopefully it’s as spectacular as advertised.

It's everything you've heard. The worst part of it is it makes all other races seem like a non event.

hoosier race fan 8/8/18 8:17 PM

This will be my first trip to Knoxville also. Unfortunately I can only go Saturday. I am probably looking forward to it as much as any race I’ve ever been to. Hoping to go to the whole week next year.

Schatz is the favorite of course, but my pick is Larson. In typical Larson style I think it will be checkers or wreckers for him. He will either win it or wad it up trying. I think Brad Sweet, David Gravel, and Brian Brown could all be threats to win also. I’d love to see Macedo win it, but it’s a tall task for him to pull that off.

GYATK94 8/8/18 8:41 PM

Keep an eye on Kerry Madsen. He’s not being talked about much as a favorite, but he’s had some great runs at the Nationals. Last year he nearly slid Schatz for the lead on a restart, just barely being unable to clear him, and the loss of momentum let Larson slip by and he was never able to get back in the fight after that. If he starts in the top 10 or so on Saturday I’d say he’s got a great chance.

hoosier race fan 8/8/18 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GYATK94 (Post 499831)
Keep an eye on Kerry Madsen. He’s not being talked about much as a favorite, but he’s had some great runs at the Nationals. Last year he nearly slid Schatz for the lead on a restart, just barely being unable to clear him, and the loss of momentum let Larson slip by and he was never able to get back in the fight after that. If he starts in the top 10 or so on Saturday I’d say he’s got a great chance.

Good call on the mad man, he could certainly be in the mix. I was just hesitant to list him because he has struggled a bit this year. Last year he seemed to be running really well going into the nationals.

oppweld 8/8/18 10:59 PM

Got to with a first time native Iowan winner Terry McCarl!

davidm 8/9/18 7:56 AM

Night one results.

Feature Finish: 1. 27 – Greg Hodnett; 2. 49X – Tim Shaffer; 3. 57 – Kyle Larson; 4. 71 – Giovanni Scelzi; 5. 15 – Donny Schatz; 6. 18 – Ian Madsen; 7. 24W – Lucas Wolfe; 8. 87 – Aaron Reutzel; 9. 2M – Kerry Madsen; 10. 4 – Brock Zearfoss; 11. 9 – Daryn Pittman; 12. 29 – Willie Croft; 13. 5H – Sammy Walsh; 14. 99 – Brady Bacon; 15. 09 – Matt Juhl; 16. 11 – Roger Crockett; 17. 71X – Kevin Thomas, Jr.; 18. 40 – Clint Garner; 19. 15M – Bobby Mincer; 20. 85 – Chase Wanner; 21. 41S – Dominic Scelzi; 22. 2KS – Austin McCarl; 23. 10 – Clyde Knipp; 24. 5J – Jamie Ball; Lap Leaders 1-25 Greg Hodnett; KSE Hard Charger Donny Schatz (+16)

Top 10 in Knoxville Nationals Points:

1. Kyle Larson - 475

2. Donny Schatz - 474

3. Aaron Reutzel - 473

4. Kerry Madsen - 473

5. Tim Shaffer - 471

6. Giovanni Scelzi - 468

7. Ian Madsen - 467

8. Greg Hodnett - 462

9. Lucas Wolfe - 453

10. Daryn Pittman - 452