IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedworld in Wittman, Az. ordered to close down (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=60262)

IndyBound 6/15/12 2:30 PM

Speedworld in Wittman, Az. ordered to close down

News from the Arizona Republic:

Speedworld is a 320 acre racing property off US 60 and Jomax Road in Whittman, Az. The track started as a drag strip and slot and sports car course in 1961. Today it also includes a motocross course, off road truck course and paintball range.

The site is well known in the racing and each year holds nationally televised motocross and off - road truck events.

Mtthews said closingSpeedworld would be bad for the surrounding community. The racetrack brings in roughly $1 millon a year, and event vistors are a boon to the restaurants and hotels in nearby Surprise and Wittman, Matthews said.

During events, the business employees 50 to 60 part - time employees, he said.

The above paragraphs are from the Arizona Republic, it seems Sppedworld's owner Dan Matthews and Maricopa County have had an on going dispute over Matthews not securing proper permits when he expanded the facility.

Some of you may be asking why I posted this here. First, those nationally televised off-road truck events are USAC events. Seems one more of USAC's divisions will be disappearing fom the Phoenix race scene if Maricopa County does indeed succeed in closing Speedworld down.

Second, last night many posters felt LPS and Joe Spiker didn't provide them with the kind of race track they felt they paid their money to get. I pulled the most important paragraphs from The Arizona newspaper on Speedworld to drive a point home. It doesn't matter how long your favorite race track has been in existence or where it is located in the country, they are all at risk of disappearing at a moments notice for a wide number of reasons. Speedworld's saga just shows one more reson I have never considered in the past. I will admit while I have been by Speedworld and often have seen racers headed there or leaving from there, I have never attended an event there.

I don't have to go there to want to see it stay open, and that was my first impression when my friend Joe Ott posted the newspaper article on his facebook page. I felt sad that another Phoenix area racing venue could be gone and hoped they could work something out to keep it open.

Third, reading this article brought me back to last nights LPS thread that Chris started to give updates that are greatly appreciated by many of us that are not as lucky as the Indiana race fans that can go racing three nights a week on a regular bases and then have midget week and sprint week give you some of the best racing in the country. IMO some went a little too far with their post last night, the language in several post certainly was uncalled for. The bottom line is if you have a gripe with a track owner, take it to that owner or someone that works for them, call the office on the next work day and voice your concerns. Your concerns are not going to be resolved by high jacking a results post.

Fourth, if your favorite track does get it right, be sure to tell them how much you appreciate their efforts. Just because you want to go racing it doesn't always mean the place you want to go to will be there.

Patti

BrentTFunk 6/15/12 7:46 PM

Re: Speedworld in Wittman, Az. ordered to close do

I have been avoiding Arizona and Maricopa county since seeing an interview with sheriff joe. Seems like his county goons continue to impress. I never say never, but I don't ever see me going back there. Feel bad for the people who own the place. It is a shame that something could not have been worked out.

Fontana180 6/15/12 8:24 PM

??? Sheriff joe has nothing to do with it!!

PJ Wright 6/15/12 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fontana180 (Post 285624)
??? Sheriff joe has nothing to do with it!!

You've got to understand that for some folks a member of the opposite political party than the one they support ALWAYS has something to due with it.:3:

BrentTFunk 6/15/12 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ Wright (Post 285635)
You've got to understand that for some folks a member of the opposite political party than the one they support ALWAYS has something to due with it.:3:

Actually that has nothing to do with it. I always thought it was a very unfriendly place, and when people who represent it are that way too, I figure things won't change. And it is way too expensive for me. Glad I did visit 4 times before racing died out there. And the article said maricopa county officials. I just figured the top county official was involved. I apologize if he tried to stop it from being closed.

PJ Wright 6/15/12 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 285656)
Actually that has nothing to do with it. I always thought it was a very unfriendly place, and when people who represent it are that way too, I figure things won't change. And it is way too expensive for me. Glad I did visit 4 times before racing died out there. And the article said maricopa county officials. I just figured the top county official was involved. I apologize if he tried to stop it from being closed.

Brent; I know you're one of the good guys. Not sure how it works in AZ., but here in SC the local police have nothing to do with building permits which seems to be the issue with this track.
I hope they get things resolved.

IndyBound 6/15/12 10:15 PM

BrentFunk the dispute with Maricopa County is over permits and today is the first I learned anything about this. It seems there are issues from 2006 and going back to the orginal permits in 1961.

Sheriff Joe sure does seem to be in the news all the time, I can see how you would think he had his hand in this.

I have to agree with some thing you said racing has died in the Phoenix area. Ever since Manzy closed we have lost the National USAC shows, Woo and USAC running at PIR; Indy Car and the Copper World Classic were gone years before that from PIR. We sure do not have the options Indiana race fans do on a regular weekly bases.

I found it rather ironic Joe Ott posted this newspaper article on facebook today after all the complaining last night about LPS. My only chance to be at LPS was last fall an all I could do was dream about what it would be like to see a race there, my dog and I were the only ones there on a Tuesday morning. Hopefully some day I will make it back there when they are racing.

My concerns are for Mr. Matthews, the racers and local community that will all feel the effect if Maricopa County does indeed shut Speedworld down and they can not reach an agreement.

Until our paths cross again safe racing BrentFunk.

Patti

BrentTFunk 6/16/12 9:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ Wright (Post 285669)
Brent; I know you're one of the good guys. Not sure how it works in AZ., but here in SC the local police have nothing to do with building permits which seems to be the issue with this track.
I hope they get things resolved.

I understand why you thought that is what I meant. Probably could have worded it better. Little frustrated over being stuck at work instead of at Bloomington.

SteveD 6/16/12 10:09 AM

Is this in reference to Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his deputies supporting the track.

IndyBound 6/16/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 285727)
Is this in reference to Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his deputies supporting the track.

It has nothing to do with Sheriff Joe and his deputies that I am aware of. An everything to do with the fact that any one of our favorite home tracks can be gone at any time for any # of reasons.

An while I have admitted I have never attended a USAC Lucas Oil Off Road race at Speedworld, loosing this or any other racing facility not only effects the track owner/promoter, it effects the sanctioning body, the racers and fans, as well as the local community and there economy. In this particular case USAC looses one more Phoenix area venue to compete at and while I know most of us on this board have no interest in the off-road truck series when a venue like this is lost it causes a rippling effect.

I have stated on here before I have considered Oswego Speedway and Manzy to be my two home tracks, lost one and nearly lost the other, luckily the Torrese family stepped up to buy and save Oswego Speedway. An I personally thank Eric and John every chance I get. That included last Saturday night when any other track owner probably would have cancealed earlier in the day due to rain. They got the clearing they needed, ran the show and as I ran into John Torrese as I was walking out of the pits it was pouring. You bet I thanked John for getting that show in.gh

An I am hoping Mr. Matthews and Maricopa County works out a way to keep Speedworld open even though it is not the type of racing I enjoy.

Patti