IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ID of drivers in these photos. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=43837)

Russ 3/2/11 8:01 PM

ID of drivers in these photos.

I was hoping someone would be able to identify the drivers in these photos. They were taken around 1963 at possibly Lawrenceburg or around the southern Indiana or Ohio area. I hope they come out clear enough, my scanner is not working and I had to use my little camera. Thanks for any help. Russ

racerjim2 3/3/11 12:21 PM

Re: ID of drivers in these photos.

Someone out there has to know. Do you have anymore of these oldies you can post?

SUPERDUKE 3/3/11 2:08 PM

Bob pratt in the 9

Russ 3/3/11 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE (Post 216199)
Bob pratt in the 9

Thanks Duke!

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerjim2 (Post 216186)
Someone out there has to know. Do you have anymore of these oldies you can post?

Yes, I got a box full of them I need ID help with that I want to post. But I think I have to remove these 5 before the site will let me post more. I tried to post more last night but I got a error message saying I was over my limit. I'll remove these in a couple of days and post some different ones then.

ptjerry24 3/3/11 10:50 PM

#3 is Gene Smith car owners Jim Simon and John Westfall

Russ 3/4/11 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptjerry24 (Post 216247)
#3 is Gene Smith car owners Jim Simon and John Westfall

Thank you for the response and information. I really appreciate it. Did you see this car race? Was it fast? It's a very unique looking car.

ptjerry24 3/4/11 10:00 PM

I work with Jim Simon who still is into racing with his son and grandsons fielding a car for Kyle Simon
and a second car that Scotty Wier and Matt Westfall drive at times
Jim sent you a email using my logon id earlier in the week, you must not have got it

rdzsprint 3/5/11 12:44 PM

Number 50 is Bobby Miller in Marshall McKain's sprint car. The engine in this car was a Pontiac with 6 deuces on it. Legend has it that Marshall bought the engine from Pat O'Connor. Marshall had a 2 car team in the 50's with John Toppe driving the sister car #30. Bobby was killed while running second in this very car in the third turn on the 15th lap of the feature race at Mitchell,In. August 7,1960. He and his wife Sue celebrated their 12th wedding anniversary the day before his death. He was only 31 and had a daughter Bobbi Sue. Marshall was devastated, sold the car and quit racing.

Hope to see more of this great stuff.

TQ29m 3/5/11 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdzsprint (Post 216343)
Number 50 is Bobby Miller in Marshall McKain's sprint car. The engine in this car was a Pontiac with 6 deuces on it. Legend has it that Marshall bought the engine from Pat O'Connor. Marshall had a 2 car team in the 50's with John Toppe driving the sister car #30. Bobby was killed while running second in this very car in the third turn on the 15th lap of the feature race at Mitchell,In. August 7,1960. He and his wife Sue celebrated their 12th wedding anniversary the day before his death. He was only 31 and had a daughter Bobbi Sue. Marshall was devastated, sold the car and quit racing.

I never met Bobby, but Marshall used to come in my shop pretty regular, always felt sorry for him, he never got over that wreck, he felt like it was his fault, for putting him in his car. He'd talk about it just a bit, on his own, just as if he had to, to help him thru the day, then he'd always ask how many qts of blackberries my wife needed, I think that kinda took his mind off the wreck. Nice man, Marshall. Bob:)

Russ 3/5/11 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdzsprint (Post 216343)

Thanks so much for the response and information. That's such a tragic story. I record everything I find out about the drivers and car owners with the photos before I file them away. I do my best to make sure that none of these guys are ever forgotten. Thanks again. Russ