IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can I be the first to ask a Q on midget tech? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=4003)

Ryan23 3/25/08 2:48 AM

Can I be the first to ask a Q on midget tech?

whats a general setup you guys are running in a midget torsion bar, blocking height, front and rear end measurements to engine plate and antyhing else.
the cars im working on are mainly a 34 inch stealth and a spike which wont be used for a while and im not to sure on size? track slight bank tacky then goes away to slick

Thanks alot

LEADERS EDGE 3/25/08 10:12 AM

Re: Can I be the first to ask a Q on midget tech?

I don't know exactly what you have or don't have for your cars, so I am going to make a couple of assumptions.

I am assuming that the Stealth Car has the motor offset 1" to the left. I am also assuming the driver is an average size of 170-185#.

These are starting numbers.

34" Stealth:
Blocks:3" Front/3.5" Rear
Bars:26".825 LR/28".800 RR
Springs:175#LF/175#RF
Helper Springs:15#(Flat)LF/25#RF
Shocks(Rebound# First):
LF:5/4 or4/3
RF:2/4
LR:Adjustable Rebound Start 6/3
RR:3RT or 4

Wheels:Front:7x3 Rear:LR 8X3 RR 10X1(Start RR wheel out as far out as you can get it and LR in as far as you can get it)

Jacobs Ladder:13 5/8" Measure down the center

I assume the same things above for the Spike Car, but the engine is normally 1/2" to the Left.

33 1/2" Spike Midget

The notes straight from the Spike car set-up sheet are enough of the same as the Stealth that I won't re-type them. I will however put down some other measurements.

Front End:No Lead-1/8" Toe Out/12 Degree Caster(Same for Stealth)
Measures 38 1/2" From front of engine plate to center of axle.

Rear End:Measures 33 1/2" from front of engine plate to center of rear axle.

Jacobs Ladder:13 3/8 Measured down the center

polecar 3/25/08 12:40 PM

this is something i was wondering for years. where is the toe out measured from, the rims or the hubs? i have 6 pins front hubs. i've been measuring from the hubs, right or wrong? thanks

LEADERS EDGE 3/25/08 3:48 PM

I have always been taught that it is an 1/8" at the wheel.
If it is an 1/8" at the 6 pin hub then it will be more than that at the wheel because of the progression of the angle. If you were using a wide 5 hub the difference would be minimal.

On dirt it is really not that big of a deal, but that would be alot of scrub on pavement.

Ryan23 3/26/08 2:28 AM

thanks thats great information. I wasnt to sure on all the info you need for a set up the driver is about 135 pounds, only a lightweight, ill find out position of the motor. Have you heard much of people running torsion bars 850 in the left rear and 800 in the right?

LEADERS EDGE 4/2/08 10:39 PM

As far as bars go, it's all in what you are comfertable with. I would say that if you haven't run a midget yet; then I would stick with an .825 and .800 and go from there.

The more split you run the harder it is to run the cushion or a rough track if you don't have much experience.

Guys are all over he place on bars and while there are benefits at times to running split, it isn't easy to do.