IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas City (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=76436)

cwfan08 4/13/14 12:25 PM

Gas City

Gas City is set to open Friday night. I am looking forward to it. It should be an interesting year with qualifying being brought back into the sprint cars and midgets being added to the program weekly. If you havent looked yet they have a new website up http://www.gascityi69speedway.org/. I noticed the other day they have added a few money shows..and Aug 8th really caught my attention. I am hoping its a very successful year for Mel as this is his first go around with promoting the track. Everyone have a great week.

Tyler

hoosier race fan 4/13/14 12:34 PM

Re: Gas City

I think Jiggs' last name is Thomason, not Thompson. Is the IOFS the figure 8 series?

tntbusco 4/13/14 3:53 PM

I must be blind but where do I find schedule? Thanks for help

tntbusco 4/13/14 4:01 PM

Oops got it

Andrew S. Quinn 4/13/14 4:01 PM

http://www.gascityi69speedway.org/schedule.html

johnnythunderhead 4/15/14 1:55 PM

why drag things out by time trialing for a weekly show/ draw for starting positions then race your way in

SHORTBUS 4/15/14 2:21 PM

Thunderbuns must be gettting to old

PJ Wright 4/15/14 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead (Post 371331)
why drag things out by time trialing for a weekly show/ draw for starting positions then race your way in

Hmmmm. Could it be because most of the racers and fans LIKE qualifying?

Charles Nungester 4/15/14 3:33 PM

Could it be that Qualifying doesn't usually draw anything out and is before showtime and after hotlaps and is mostly dead time? If it starts running into the show, Move hotlaps half a hour earlier.

Quaifying always rocks! provided the shows format is right. I honestly hate if they qualify and start straight up.

johnnythunderhead 4/15/14 9:06 PM

they generally do start strait up when time trialing, and how exciting is that (not) and it wears out the track life/ now if the fastest qualifier started tail and the slowest started on the pole like they did in the past, I'd say hell yeah to qualifying!

Mud Packer 4/15/14 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnythunderhead (Post 371354)
they generally do start strait up when time trialing, and how exciting is that (not) and it wears out the track life/ now if the fastest qualifier started tail and the slowest started on the pole like they did in the past, I'd say hell yeah to qualifying!

The majority of the time they have an invert so they don't qualify and start straight up in the heats or the feature. The semi yes, the rest no.

cwfan08 4/15/14 9:45 PM

I don't know the format being used..but I think the drivers like qualifying..in most cases with pill draw you have a bad draw your pretty much screwed the rest of the night, especially if you are in a loaded heat..It gives the lower budget teams a little more of a chance plus gives them extra seat time. I am excited for Friday..I actually just got off the phone with Mel not to long ago. I think Gas City is going in the right direction. Jiggs did a phenomenal job with the place and I think Mel can take it to new heights. I just hope everyone gives the track a chance..look past the bleachers etc..plus you will get to see sprint cars and midgets on the same bill each night :)

Tyler

Mud Packer 4/15/14 10:25 PM

I have known Mel for 40 years. I had the chance to talk with him briefly at Kokomo on Saturday night and he seems very excited with the chance to promote Gas City/I-69 Speedway. I told him that I wished him all the luck in the world. I also told him that we would be there with our butts in the bleachers as many race nights as possible. Looking forward to midgets joining the program on a regular basis.

Charles Nungester 4/16/14 1:32 AM

Come on Johnny, You can't tell me you didn't enjoy The Stash going second to last at the Burg and setting fast time?

Or Leary laying a hell of a lap at Brownstown, I was sitting up in one and he was just digging for all it was worth.

Qualifying ROCK, Its from the Days of Yore and It should be found all along I-84 :)

On a not so lesser note, THE STASH will be at GC fri and Eldora Sat.

Midget 89 4/16/14 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwfan08 (Post 371172)
Gas City is set to open Friday night. I am looking forward to it. It should be an interesting year with qualifying being brought back into the sprint cars and midgets being added to the program weekly. If you havent looked yet they have a new website up http://www.gascityi69speedway.org/. I noticed the other day they have added a few money shows..and Aug 8th really caught my attention. I am hoping its a very successful year for Mel as this is his first go around with promoting the track. Everyone have a great week.

Tyler

I noticed the new Gas City website has places to list points for Sprint Cars, Modifieds and Thunder Cars. No mention of midgets. Thought that was odd.

cwfan08 4/16/14 10:18 AM

Up until right now I didnt notice there were tabs for points..I am sure they will figure something out.

Ty

johnnythunderhead 4/17/14 8:52 PM

a bad draw for starting position is no worse than a bad draw for timetrialing position, I'm sorry folks, but for the most part I see it as a waste of time, a track prep determ:8:ent and a set up for follow the leader racing/ aside from that, which I see as a miniscule issue, I wish the new promoter well and hope the midgets take off right out of the box and do nothing but continue to grow from there!

mc/rider 4/17/14 9:31 PM

Will there be midgets at the USAC show?

Mud Packer 4/17/14 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc/rider (Post 371544)
Will there be midgets at the USAC show?

According to the schedule it will be the USAC HDP midgets.

i love dirt track racing 4/18/14 1:13 AM

Hope to see some iow fans at gas city.

cwfan08 4/18/14 5:43 AM

I will try and post some updates tonight on this thread..I do the race-ceiver stuff so i may just be able to post results of the heats etc like last year. If you can make it out tonight and are in the pits come down to the draw booth and say hi :). Everyone have a great day!

Tyler

Nate 4/18/14 11:01 AM

Anyone know if any of the USAC regulars plan to run tonight at Gas City since they run Eldora tomorrow night?

(Disregard, I should have read further down the forum.)

Motormasher 4/18/14 4:02 PM

LOVE qualifying...hell yeah!!!

reeserx 4/18/14 6:35 PM

Longest driver meeting ever

mowerman 4/18/14 6:45 PM

How many sprints ?

Andrew S. Quinn 4/18/14 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowerman (Post 371638)
How many sprints ?

Heard 32 No qualifying tonight

axman775 4/18/14 6:48 PM

How many midgets?

dkdorkboy 4/18/14 6:55 PM

8 midgets

cwfan08 4/18/14 7:13 PM

32 sprints 8 midgets

JstAbvVMC 4/18/14 7:17 PM

Any updates would be appreciated. Thank you from 2,400 miles away....

PatrickMead#13 4/18/14 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwfan08 (Post 371646)
32 sprints 8 midgets

Who's on the sheet for the midgets?

reeserx 4/18/14 7:53 PM

Heat 1: Leary, jarrett, Gurley and ballou track is not good, one lane on the bottom

reeserx 4/18/14 7:58 PM

Heat 2: Robbins, ketchum, keen and Shane cottle transfer, all on the bottom once again

reeserx 4/18/14 8:03 PM

Heat 3: Hopkins, Andretti, farney, cockrum

reeserx 4/18/14 8:14 PM

Heat 4: Clauson, boesflug, stanbrough, t mez, track is very bad, one lane huggy pole

LittleRube 4/18/14 8:14 PM

I love sprint cars at 20mph

addictedtodirt 4/18/14 8:20 PM

Chappell wins midget heat. T-mez pulling double duty.

PIT CART 4/18/14 8:24 PM

Will he turn on the lights?

dkdorkboy 4/18/14 8:28 PM

And midgets at 18 mph.

cwfan08 4/18/14 8:53 PM

1st night under new management they will get it figured out..