IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's with the panels? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=29358)

DonMoore10 2/27/10 10:32 AM

What's with the panels?

I watched the USAC Sprint Car show from Vegas. Really great media coverage with the video. BUT...... Somebody help me out. Halloween came early I think. Were those actually USAC Sprint Cars or East Coast modifieds? I'm terribly confused. :11:

SUPERDUKE 2/27/10 12:21 PM

Re: What's with the panels?

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmoore10 (Post 159006)
i watched the usac sprint car show from vegas. Really great media coverage with the video. But...... Somebody help me out. Halloween came early i think. Were those actually usac sprint cars or east coast modifieds? I'm terribly confused. :11:

i told usac about this years ago and said it will get out of hand! Just think about this? A car on fire laying on is side along the wall how are you going to get him out?????????? They had to cut the cage off to get alex out at vegas!:15::14:

DonMoore10 2/27/10 1:23 PM

Seriously, a few of those Vegas modifieds....er... sprint cars looked just like an old 50's jalopy going down the backstretch there. How stupid looking and way over the edge.

aXe 2/27/10 1:31 PM

Put another way,
From the fans in the stands, Are there monkeys in there doing the driving or are they remotely controled??? Is that where we are headed??? :(
Sad but you should be able to see what the drivers are doing, If You are in the infield it is a lot better picture of the drivers as the side panels are a lot lower. Pretty soon We may be watching a lot of foreign drivers and not even know it?:18:
aXe

DonMoore10 2/27/10 2:36 PM

These panels are just another example of bad race organization management and listening to the wrong people with no regard for the fans. Just a small part of why open wheel racing has to fight for the buck of every fan. Let's put it this way: How many fans do you suppose called, wrote, e-mailed all the racing orgs that allow these rediculous panels and requested them???? I think the answer is zero. Open wheel racing is also open cockpit racing until management started bowing to the wrong crowd that wanted this s$%T.

I can see the sunvisor to block out the sun but even that has gotten carried away. USAC allows a 5 inch visor which is reasonable but several other midget orgs allow larger ones which are way beyond reasonable. USAC does not allow most panels on the midgets and silver crown cars but the panels are legal for POWRi, Badger and ARDC. Why???

Here is the inside story on the panels. Somewhere down the line a race team or teams spent some big bucks $$$$$$$$$$$ and did some testing as to the effectiveness of these panels. What did they find after spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$??

They found that the more area that is paneled, the faster the race car goes, bottomline. So more expense and rules that never should have been passed. Just another example of very, very poor management.

outsider 2/27/10 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE (Post 159020)
i told usac about this years ago and said it will get out of hand! Just think about this? A car on fire laying on is side along the wall how are you going to get him out?????????? They had to cut the cage off to get alex out at vegas!:15::14:

Were the panels adotped for safety to keep arms from protruding outside the cage when they hit a wall?

SUPERDUKE 2/27/10 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outsider (Post 159049)
were the panels adotped for safety to keep arms from protruding outside the cage when they hit a wall?

no they have arm restraints

v8j 2/27/10 3:55 PM

this is just progression,develpoment,and moving forwards it happens.they did not like the first rollbar then cages seatbelts progress.cell phones,microwaves,blaw blaw blaw you guys know what i mean.

Fontana180 2/27/10 4:10 PM

Progress does not always equal progression

kylenap@yahoo.com 2/27/10 4:13 PM

Are you guys talking about the left side arm panel that encloses the cockpit. I remember Sammy Swindell running this in his Channellock days.