IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thursday Night Track? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=112000)

kingmod5 12/5/19 2:18 PM

Thursday Night Track?

Could Indiana support a Thursday night track? I see this seems to be successful in other parts of the country and was curious. Obviously this would be based on location, start times, # of classes and economy strength. What are your opinions?

nathans1012 12/5/19 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingmod5 (Post 523417)
Could Indiana support a Thursday night track? I see this seems to be successful in other parts of the country and was curious. Obviously this would be based on location, start times, # of classes and economy strength. What are your opinions?

Being a native Hoosier I think it's possible to pull off but I think only a few tracks could do it where their in a central location to getting a good car count. If a track ran on Thursday nights they would have to run maybe three classes max. No one wants to sit in the stands or teams in the pits late in the evening when many folks would have to work on Friday. Get the show started and done in a decent time frame so people can get home.

brsteg 12/5/19 3:15 PM

Re: Thursday Night Track?

I think a track could do it in the summer time perhaps twice a month; not weekly. Not sure that kind of schedule without big events mixed in would be worth it financially.

My pie in the sky is to build an indoor 1/5-1/4 mile and get the outlaw karts going in the winter with a couple midget shows or so from Dec- end of March.

PIT CART 12/5/19 3:57 PM

Lincoln Park had Thursday sprint car program for a short time.

kingmod5 12/5/19 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIT CART (Post 523423)
Lincoln Park had Thursday sprint car program for a short time.

How was the car counts and crowds? I remember this but wasn't able to go based on my work schedule at the time.

racefan20 12/5/19 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingmod5 (Post 523425)
How was the car counts and crowds? I remember this but wasn't able to go based on my work schedule at the time.

On one of those nights there were more cars in the pits than fans in the stands. The experiment ended soon after that. I loved the idea but I guess not too many agreed with me.

motorhead748 12/5/19 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingmod5 (Post 523425)

You may have answered your own question in regards to crowd

Al Pierce 12/5/19 5:36 PM

I looked back at May/June 2012 and found 4 nights that they ran plus a couple of rainouts. On the first night, 7 June, they drew 28 cars at LPS with USAC on Eastern Storm. The last two nights drew 12 and 14. I believe that was the end of the experiment. I made a note that they had a decent crowd on 7 June.

Chris Baue 12/5/19 5:49 PM

Whole country was still in a recession at that time.

racefan20 12/5/19 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Pierce (Post 523429)
I looked back at May/June 2012 and found 4 nights that they ran plus a couple of rainouts. On the first night, 7 June, they drew 28 cars at LPS with USAC on Eastern Storm. The last two nights drew 12 and 14. I believe that was the end of the experiment. I made a note that they had a decent crowd on 7 June.

I think I sat with you one of those nights Al and counted 16 people in the stands