IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting Twitter Question (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=53256)

Vukie 9/21/11 10:29 AM

Interesting Twitter Question

From Spridge
"Where should the USAC National Sprint Car Series go in 2012?"

I would a see a mini Illinois sprint week or a three day weekend.

LaSalle,Rt 66,Fairbury,Farmer City or Lincoln.

Mud Packer 9/21/11 10:53 AM

Re: Interesting Twitter Question

Russ,

This is a very interesting question. Might USAC be listening to its fans?:) Maybe even asking for their input?:19:

Here would be my choices. A mini sprint week or three day show in Illinois with Tri City, Farmer City and LaSalle being involved. Also add Waynesfield and KC in Ohio to the schedule. They could maybe package this together with either Eldora or Lawrenceburg for another three day weekend deal.

Vukie 9/21/11 10:56 AM

A couple of races up in Michigan would be a good additions.

Pat O'Connor Fan 9/21/11 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud Packer (Post 254517)
A mini sprint week or three day show in Illinois with Tri City, Farmer City and LaSalle being involved.

I like Mike's idea and I would also like to see Putnamville get back into Indiana Sprint Week.

Jerry Shaw 9/21/11 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan (Post 254522)
I like Mike's idea and I would also like to see Putnamville get back into Indiana Sprint Week.

Absolutely. LPS is just too good of a track and too good of a place, not to have a Sprint Week race at. Also, USAC needs to find a way to revive the Shuman Classic @ Lakeside. That's a guaranteed huge event every year. All they've got to do is put it in the schedule. Farmer City and LaSalle are others I'd like to see a USAC Sprint show at.

Jerry

Jonr 9/21/11 11:30 AM

Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City. For several years they have had a big wingless show in August. It was the ending show of the ASCS Topless tour.

davidm 9/21/11 11:33 AM

A USAC Sprint/Midget Double Header Eastern Storm.

New Egypt
Big Diamond
Grandview
Lincoln
Williams Grove
Lernerville

cws9 9/21/11 12:06 PM

The Grain Valley (Missouri) show was pretty good this year. Have a 2 night deal with both sprints and midgets running Lakeside Friday and Grain Valley Saturday.

wvwildthg 9/21/11 12:14 PM

sprint and silver crown weekend at Pennsylvania motor speedway....

Stagger 9/21/11 12:24 PM

Besides bringing back the Shuman Classic at Lakeside, I think ALL USAC Sprint shows should include USAC midgets.

Might as well put a midget in those haulers.

staggerman 9/21/11 12:25 PM

The key thing is they must have 2-3 nights together to make it beneficial to the teams. No 1 race in NC or where ever that USAC is notorious for. I would love to see the USAC sprinters back in WI, Wilmot, Beaver Dam (1/3 mile), Plymouth and 141 all would put on great shows for the nonwingers.

SDHill89 9/21/11 12:34 PM

I'd like to see USAC go to I-55 raceway in Pevely, MO and Tri-City speedway on a weekend.

frenchfry 9/21/11 12:36 PM

Remember this is supposed to be a NATIONAL touring series. As it is now, it seems as if 95% of their races are contested in or around the state of Indiana. Seems to be more of a regional touring series.

Rpracing1 9/21/11 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchfry (Post 254543)
Remember this is supposed to be a NATIONAL touring series. As it is now, it seems as if 95% of their races are contested in or around the state of Indiana. Seems to be more of a regional touring series.

frydaddy, Maybe you "NATIONALIST" need to speak up..........Here is your chance to be heard......

Dick Monahan 9/21/11 12:59 PM

My rule is that I don't travel for less than 3 shows. So, I'm in favor of more 3-show weekends, wherever they can book them. And, I'd like to see even more shows in the East.

openwheelKT 9/21/11 1:22 PM

I too would like to see an IL "Sprint Week" of some sort (3-5 races). I don't mind traveling, but to go several hours away there needs to be several races to hit on the trip. Some sort of OH and/or MI swing/weekend would be good to. Pretty much any "trip" needs to have 3-5 races IMO.

On the midget side, I'd like to see a 3-5 race swing through WI where POWERi and Badger teams would want to attend. That would take some work and some changes it seems. Hate to see another 16 car field.

USAC can't be a National series that crisscrosses the US all season unless they pay more in purse and pay tow money. Not saying they should or shouldn't, just saying that's a fact. You can't expect teams to do a ton of traveling in this economy without some help. That's why people are throwing out ideas mostly around IN.

Mud Packer 9/21/11 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by openwheelKT (Post 254549)
I too would like to see an IL "Sprint Week" of some sort (3-5 races). I don't mind traveling, but to go several hours away there needs to be several races to hit on the trip. Some sort of OH and/or MI swing/weekend would be good to. Pretty much any "trip" needs to have 3-5 races IMO.

On the midget side, I'd like to see a 3-5 race swing through WI where POWERi and Badger teams would want to attend. That would take some work and some changes it seems. Hate to see another 16 car field.

USAC can't be a National series that crisscrosses the US all season unless they pay more in purse and pay tow money. Not saying they should or shouldn't, just saying that's a fact. You can't expect teams to do a ton of traveling in this economy without some help. That's why people are throwing out ideas mostly around IN.

Kevin,

Great points. Just to add to this, most states do not run non wing sprints. With that being said, what kind of fields would USAC bring to the speedway if the "national" schedule would be run? Most states wouldn't have a lot of locals to help fill the field. That is why the majority of USAC National Sprint Car dates are in and around Indiana.

#1Brad Kuhn Fan 9/21/11 1:56 PM

Bring back the buckeye deal they had several years back. In Ohio. Attica. Freemont. Lima. Eldora. I think those were the tracks. I was only 9. So I don't remember much. But Lima was one of the best tracks I've ever seen..
Posted via Mobile Device

Jrp4554 9/21/11 2:06 PM

Spread the schedule out and stop taking a month off at a time. When sprint week ended there was almost an entire month off. This racing on Monday and Tuesday nights several states away is difficult for people with jobs. I think its easier for most people to take one day off a week or even duck out early on a Friday as opposed to having to burn an entire week's worth of vacation.

#1jackhewittfan 9/21/11 2:07 PM

Definitely need some more Ohio tracks limaland Friday and and waynesfield Saturday would be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

frenchfry 9/21/11 2:27 PM

Woah everybody! The point I was trying to make is that something labeled as a national touring series should be such. I firmly believe that the "Traditional Sprints" have a much better product to deliver. Whomever the sanctioning body is needs to be organized enough to deliver across the entire country, for all to see, what in my mind is the best short track racing available.

cws9 9/21/11 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cws9 (Post 254531)
The Grain Valley (Missouri) show was pretty good this year. Have a 2 night deal with both sprints and midgets running Lakeside Friday and Grain Valley Saturday.

And with USAC running the Dodge City track, this is right on the way home for most of the teams. Or on the way out there. This is making more sense to me now that I think about it.

illiNOISE 9/21/11 4:37 PM

I'd love to see another non-wing IL Sprint Week. But would there be enough teams and/or fan support for it to be viable? It seems like everyone who attended the La Salle IL Sprint Week show last year raved about it. But everyone who attended that show could have fit into one section of the stands. And we only had 18 cars. Perhaps more importantly, the only "local" driver was Blake Nimee. Maybe a USAC sanction would entice enough of the "late model" fan base to spend some of their money on a series they know less about. Maybe not. The WoO sprints work in non open wheel markets because they have "brand name" drivers. It's a known entity. Non-wing racing, not as much.
Posted via Mobile Device

LocalYokel 9/21/11 7:07 PM

Pevely for sure. They could run there once a month even and im sure no one would argue.
More races in the south would be cool. Talledega Short track, mississippi, arkansas....
Even though USAC is a "national" organization, I think they should schedual more races within a 5-6 hour drive from Indy. Ohio, Attics, Lima, etc.. Illinois, Farmer city, Fairburry, Jacksonville, Rt. 66... Kentucky, Kentucky lake... Wisconsin, Sun Prarie..
And more dates at all the tracks in Indiana. Even ones not typically associated with openwheel racing. USAC should be putting on at least one show every week or two at a track in Indiana...
Posted via Mobile Device

wideopen24 9/21/11 10:50 PM

OHIO....Buckeye Nationals @

Lima
Waynesfield
Eldora
Fremont
Attica
Wayne County

Eric Thompson II 9/22/11 4:23 AM

I'd love to see a sprint race at Tazewell, Tennessee
Posted via Mobile Device

SteveD 9/22/11 8:10 AM

How about a "Follow the Money Tour" and race wherever the track/promoter puts the most on the table. This level of racing deserves a lot more cash than what they are presently running for.

SpfldMile 9/22/11 9:52 AM

Being from Illinois, of course I would like to see some stops over here. People have already mentioned most of the tracks, but how about the underutilized half mile at Joliet? There are also some very nice tracks in Missouri, and I'm sure our friends over there would support the Thunder and Lightning division.

nathans1012 9/22/11 2:23 PM

I-55 Raceway; Pevely, MO
Highland Speedway; Highland, IL
Kankakee County Speedway; Kankakee, IL
Hartford Motor Speedway; Hartford, MI
Montpelier Motor Speedway; Montpelier, IN
Kamp Motor Speedway; Boswell, IN (If they open back up)
:23::41:::24::42:::22:

Bill Gardner 9/22/11 3:48 PM

Gonna throw this out there...

I know this idea would be VERY difficult to achieve but what about taking the current "NATIONAL" USAC Sprint Car Series and have it travel to all corners of the nation with several stops in between.

A National Series... Similiar to WoO.(Single events) and then several regional USAC sprint car series that are located in several parts of the country... maybe something similiar to how UMP does the track santioning?

The local tracks could operate just like they do now, but they would carry a USAC sanction and a regional point fund. This format seems to work for UMP.

If you grow a regional series, you've then got more support for a traveling national series.

Just an idea.

:99::

Texan 9/22/11 3:55 PM

Texas Motor Speedway Dirt Track. A 4/10 mile speed plant that I'm sure a few of our locals would partake in (such as Travis Riliat, Baldacini, Ramey and others) as well.

Make it the same weekend as the Indy race and you have a winner. :22:

LocalYokel 9/22/11 4:33 PM

I agree that USAC is a national level organization, and idealy they should conduct themselves as such. Unfortunately due to the economy, and the costs involved in general I don't see this happening any time soon.
More races further away from the midwest simply means more money being spent by the teams. Few teams can afford to travel more than once a month, let alone commit to an entire touring schedual. If USAC tried to expand away from the midwest and the few occasional "swings", the car count would be anywhere from 6-12 regulars at the most. Now if they started paying purses on par with the WoO this would change things considerably. I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.
I the meantime I think adding more races in the midwest at some of the tracks mentioned as a great step in the right direction.

I do like Bills idea also, something similar to how UMP runs things. Serveral regional series that run for a national points championship, and ocassionaly running a few big races where all regions are included.
These races could be the already established marquee events, like the 4-Crown, Belleville, Turkey Night, Sprint Week, and the Western World.

frenchfry 9/22/11 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Gardner (Post 254697)
Gonna throw this out there...

I know this idea would be VERY difficult to achieve but what about taking the current "NATIONAL" USAC Sprint Car Series and have it travel to all corners of the nation with several stops in between.

A National Series... Similiar to WoO.(Single events) and then several regional USAC sprint car series that are located in several parts of the country... maybe something similiar to how UMP does the track santioning?

The local tracks could operate just like they do now, but they would carry a USAC sanction and a regional point fund. This format seems to work for UMP.

If you grow a regional series, you've then got more support for a traveling national series.

Just an idea.

:99::

That's the best idea I've read in here yet! I also agree with LocalYocal, the purses are not even close to where they need to be for such an elite series.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Woops..LocalYokel

UpOnDaCushion 9/22/11 6:16 PM

Just think this would be a cool point week to add since we already run knoxville and osky every year. USAC went to Burlington last year and it was a good race to watch with great facilities, and superb track conditions. It would be cool to see this turn into a week long points race like the eastern storm and indiana sprint week. All tracks are near in location and with USAC coming to town i'd think the crowds would be up to par. Just an idea and something that i personally would love to see happen.

HAWKEYE NATIONALS?!
34 Raceway(Burlington, IA) 1/2 mile
Lee County Speedway(Donnelson, IA) 3/8 mile
Southern Iowa Speedway(Oskaloosa, IA) 1/2 mile
Knoxville Raceway(Knoxville, IA) 1/2 mile
Hamilton County Speedway(Webster City, IA)1/2 mile
Independence Motor Speedway(Independence, IA)3/8 mile

Andrew S. Quinn 9/22/11 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpOnDaCushion (Post 254729)
HAWKEYE NATIONALS?!
Independence Motor Speedway(Independence, IA)3/8 mile

You can add Boone into the mix,and further west to Husets , Eagle and Thunderhill in Mayetta Kansas.

nathans1012 9/22/11 7:52 PM

To bad the old Santa Fe Speedway that was located on the southwest side of Chicago isn't around any more. Best track I ever went to period. I'd say USAC should go back there if the track was still open. Call the race the Midwest National Non-Wing Open with all 3 of USAC top series
USAC Silver Crown Series
USAC National Sprint Car Series
USAC National Midget Car Series

mcweld 9/22/11 10:47 PM

HAWKEYE NATIONALS?!
Independence Motor Speedway(Independence, IA)3/8 mile[/QUOTE]

They could add Rock Rapids Ia to that list they already run traditional sprints there on Friday night.

Fred Zirzow 9/23/11 12:58 AM

Il, Midget week would be cool.Run 4 nights or so around the Springfield Mile race. Would like to see the Copper on Dirt come back maybe at the end of the year. Week b4 or after the ovals. Would like to see the Silver Crown at Perris. Maybe a year end Deal. Run Midgets/Sprints/SC In a 3 day deal to wrap up the year at one track. Maybe Get more dates in FL at the start of the year like 5 or 6 nights. Also maybe get the Midgets also running in FL.

Tief 9/23/11 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerman (Post 254537)
I would love to see the USAC sprinters back in WI, Wilmot, Beaver Dam (1/3 mile), Plymouth and 141 all would put on great shows for the nonwingers.

Ditto this. I too would LOVE to see sprint cars back in Wisconsin. There are two great dirt tracks in Beaver Dam literally only a couple of miles apart. The 1/3 mile high bank mentioned here and also a rather flat 1/2 mi at Dodge County Fairgrounds (IRA winged sprints run there a lot). *Plenty* of room for camping at the fairgrounds. Would make an awesome doubleheader. Sun Prairie is only 30 min down the road. USAC sprints have put on a decent show there as well. Friday night at Beaver Dam, Saturday at Dodge County and Sunday night at Sun Prairie with the Badger midgets. Man, that would make my summer.

koolaid89 9/23/11 8:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vukie (Post 254518)
A couple of races up in Michigan would be a good additions.

I'd have to disagree. There's only one track that has the prep figured out and it's 3 hours from the state line and DIEHARD "tin top" country and that's Winston. Ever grabbed a couple of clods of clay at any of the Michigan tracks? It's 50% sand 50% clay... I don't know where Tom Sprague got his clay but the sand content is minimal.